Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:56 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

I've debated throwing this out there because I am a fan of DART. I also love that Dallas now has a vibrant downtown, unlike the downtown of my childhood (70s and early 80s) that mostly consisted of business folks going to work, and weekend visits to the Farmers Market. The West End DART station is out of control. My kid was semi-assaulted there when she stopped at a pizza place for lunch. And by semi-assaulted I mean it was a panhandler who had no weapon but cornered her against a wall demanding money, she had no way to get away and gave the $8 that she had left on her in order to get away...and yes, she feels stupid for doing it. This happened Friday afternoon. Her father and I have since given her lessons in assertiveness training. What is most upsetting is that two DART officers were within distance, saw what was going on and did nothing. We've told the kid next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) to yell out to the officers or anyone else within earshot. We called the DPD when she got home and told us what happened. The person we spoke to just asked why she didn't call 911 when it happened. Because she was backed up against a wall and just wanted to get away, and nothing like this has ever happened to her before. So I've done some searching about West End and found that the area is becoming notorious for this stuff. So unfortunate because it could be a pretty cool area in downtown Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 04:24 AM

482 posts, read 399,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've debated throwing this out there because I am a fan of DART. I also love that Dallas now has a vibrant downtown, unlike the downtown of my childhood (70s and early 80s) that mostly consisted of business folks going to work, and weekend visits to the Farmers Market. The West End DART station is out of control. My kid was semi-assaulted there when she stopped at a pizza place for lunch. And by semi-assaulted I mean it was a panhandler who had no weapon but cornered her against a wall demanding money, she had no way to get away and gave the $8 that she had left on her in order to get away...and yes, she feels stupid for doing it. This happened Friday afternoon. Her father and I have since given her lessons in assertiveness training. What is most upsetting is that two DART officers were within distance, saw what was going on and did nothing. We've told the kid next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) to yell out to the officers or anyone else within earshot. We called the DPD when she got home and told us what happened. The person we spoke to just asked why she didn't call 911 when it happened. Because she was backed up against a wall and just wanted to get away, and nothing like this has ever happened to her before. So I've done some searching about West End and found that the area is becoming notorious for this stuff. So unfortunate because it could be a pretty cool area in downtown Dallas.
I'm with you, OP. I love DART as a whole, and especially its obvious contribution towards the growing vibrancy of downtown Dallas. But I detest the West End station. It's not uncommon for me to ride the train through the West End with my kids and have to quickly avert their attention away from whatever fights or other shenanigans are going on outside their window. There's undeniably a higher amount of crime at that station versus the typical DART station, plus a higher amount of needless loitering in general. I don't want to make assumptions about people I don't know, but I can't help but get the feeling a lot of people in town say to themselves, "Hey, I don't plan to be productive today (or tonight), so I'll head to the West End ... "

I'm very sorry about your daughter's experience. I hope it does not turn your family off from DART as a whole. I'll frankly tell you how I deal with the West End station: I skip it. Seriously. Whenever I'm visiting the area I'll actually get off at the station immediately before or after the West End, then walk a little further to my destination while skirting the bulk of congregants close to the train stop. Go one station in any direction from the West End and it's truly a world of difference. Like magic almost.

To be fair I personally have never been bothered by anyone at that station. But I also think I have a look and a physique that makes clear to most people I'm not the easiest target, if that makes any sense. For example there was a fairly aggressive panhandler on one train who initially made a beeline for my pretty wife when he saw her, only to quickly move on once I made eye contact with him. There were no cross words or dirty looks exchanged between us, just an unspoken understanding that my family wasn't the one to be pressed. But yeah, I'd clearly discourage my wife and kids from visiting the West End station without me, and even with me if we can reasonably avoid it.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:25 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
So I've done some searching about West End and found that the area is becoming notorious for this stuff.

Becoming? It's been that way for at least the last 6 years. I take DART Rail as much as I can but the 'Greyhound-Westend station-DART bus transfer station' triangle is definitely a 'heightened awareness' area.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Call the local news and report it to a reporter who does local crime
Get them to take an interest
I imagine that having story like that on the news two or three times a week would institute some changes...especially if there were TWO DART cops standing there talking to each other

I would request the video of the time she was assaulted
Could have been lot worse

Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
I simply go into "New York city visitor mode" at west end station. Which means make no eye contact and walk briskly. Yes, the city should figure out a creative way to disperse the panhandlers and hangers about that seem to congregate in that area.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM

216 posts, read 344,104 times
I do this exactly myself - as a small female - I avoid that station

Quote:
I'll frankly tell you how I deal with the West End station: I skip it. Seriously. Whenever I'm visiting the area I'll actually get off at the station immediately before or after the West End, then walk a little further to my destination while skirting the bulk of congregants close to the train stop. Go one station in any direction from the West End and it's truly a world of difference. Like magic almost.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
Screaming FIRE or some other potentially alarming message might work.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
She should wear a whistle around her neck when she’s using DART. And use it if accosted by any stranger.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Becoming? It's been that way for at least the last 6 years. I take DART Rail as much as I can but the 'Greyhound-Westend station-DART bus transfer station' triangle is definitely a 'heightened awareness' area.

That's what I've learned recently. Honest to God did not know the area had become notorious for that kind of activity for years now. When you pass through it looks like a fun place. Lots of restaurants and activity.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Call the local news and report it to a reporter who does local crime
Get them to take an interest
I imagine that having story like that on the news two or three times a week would institute some changes...especially if there were TWO DART cops standing there talking to each other

I would request the video of the time she was assaulted
Could have been lot worse
Two DART cops were right there. Right there! I think they would have done something if my child had yelled out, motioned to them. She didn't, she was in shock. We've since worked with her about becoming assertive.

Yes, it could have been worse. The guy just wanted her money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: