Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 10:44 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times

Advertisements

Are there some Republicans who live in Oak Lawn or near the Deep Ellum areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Nope, not a one. The screening at the border crossings takes care of that. No liberals allowed out, no conservatives allowed in.

Really, what do you think?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
I'm sure you'll find many social conservatives tapping their foots in bar bathroom stalls off Cedar Springs. Then on Sunday, they preach about the abomination of that "lifestyle."

Old 12-16-2017, 12:22 PM

194 posts, read 156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm sure you'll find many social conservatives tapping their foots in bar bathroom stalls off Cedar Springs. Then on Sunday, they preach about the abomination of that "lifestyle."
Social conservatives don't care about that, but progressives sure seem to. If you talk to gays, it's more likely than you think they'll tell you they voted for Trump.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
Yes but talking about politics seems to be frowned upon in most social situations in Dallas. At least in my social circles. I'm not really aware of any meet up Conservative groups in the area, way more stonewall Democrats than young conservatives.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:49 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,491,187 times
The border is a block away about Armstrong street. I'm sure you can look up Republican clubs and find one near you. Check out a website like meetup or events.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Are there some Republicans who live in Oak Lawn or near the Deep Ellum areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Nope, not a one. The screening at the border crossings takes care of that. No liberals allowed out, no conservatives allowed in.

Really, what do you think?
My original reaction was snark, too. But seriously - yes, OP, there are conservatives even in what seem to be Dallas' most liberal neighborhoods. Just as there are liberals living in the most conservative neighborhoods. The top Republican and Democrat donors in all of DFW live in Highland Park and Preston Hollow because that's where the money is.

FWIW, Park Cities Presbyterian is on Oak Lawn & Wycliff. It's one of the most conservative congregations in Dallas. And a decent amount of libertarian members, too.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
Social conservatives don't care about that, but progressives sure seem to. If you talk to gays, it's more likely than you think they'll tell you they voted for Trump.
You must've missed the Alabama race. We have plenty of Roy Moore types here in Texas. Then there's Robert Jeffrees right in our very own backyard. Also, Trump isn't a really good example of a social conservative. Trump is solely about Trump.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:22 AM

194 posts, read 156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You must've missed the Alabama race. We have plenty of Roy Moore types here in Texas. Then there's Robert Jeffrees right in our very own backyard. Also, Trump isn't a really good example of a social conservative. Trump is solely about Trump.
Our president is about making America great again in the headwinds of progressive globalism. He sacrificed a brand in the process. He's a paleoconservative and libertarian and classical liberal in the Reagan and Goldwater mold. They are about live and let live, and liberty, and respect for the individual. Not subjugation and the collective and control and serfdom.

(In contrast to many progressives):
"Franken started to smile again, but his tone was serious, too serious. "It's not preppies, cause I'm a preppie myself. I just don't like homosexuals. If you ask me, they're all homosexuals in the Pudding. Hey, I was glad when that Pudding homosexual got killed in Philadelphia." The smile became so broad it pushed his eyes shut. He couldn't stand it any longer. "Put that in, put that in," Franken laughed, leaning over the desk. "I'd love to see that in The Crimson.""
/www.thecrimson.com/article/1976/4/16/live-from-new-york-its-al/

Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
Our president is about making America great again in the headwinds of progressive globalism. He sacrificed a brand in the process. He's a paleoconservative and libertarian and classical liberal in the Reagan and Goldwater mold. They are about live and let live, and liberty, and respect for the individual. Not subjugation and the collective and control and serfdom.
There's nothing classically liberal or libertarian about his VP, Attorney General, or the rest of his cabinet. You think Mike Pence and Jeff Sessions are libertarian? That's a laugh. Reagan brought in the Religious Right. If you know anything about the Religious Right you would know that they desire shoving their so-called religious beliefs down the throats of every American via public policy. They are a danger to our individual liberties.

Trump himself isn't ideological. Trump is trying to fill in a void that he has deep within him to make up for a massive emotional deficit. He lacks empathy and soul. He's adopted conservative views to serve his need to win at all costs. It's all about praise and winning for him. He skirts personal responsibility and accountability at all costs.

And Franken from 1976? You do realize society was much different back then. Homosexuality was considered a mental disorder until the 1970s. But I highly doubt that Franken has such views today. People do indeed grow and change as time goes on, with the exception of conservative Republicans. Sadly, most conservative Republicans share those beliefs in 2017 going on 2018. Did you read the Texas GOP Platform? It's just so sad they are still advocating discredited practices (e.g. conversion therapy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas