Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,466 times

Advertisements

We're spending about 4 days in the Dallas area for a weekend getaway. I've never been to Texas and was wondering what are some great things to do or see in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? We are spending a day in Waco to visit the Magnolia Silos. Any other suggestions? This will be in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Kids with you? What do you like, museums, parks, ? The 6th Floor Museum is fabulous. I was very interested in the George Bush Presidential Library at SMU. Most people like the Ft. Worth Stockyards. The Dallas Museum of Art, the Perot Museum, the Dallas Arboretum, the Kimbal Museum of Art in Ft. Worth - all are very interesting.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Eat, drink, and swim. That's what we do here for recreation.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,239 times
6th floor JFK museum, ft.worth stockyards or downtown ft. worth, dallas city tour, lee harvey oswald house.

shopping at the galleria or some other big mall.

concert or sporting event somewhere.

visit a local brewery/taproom.

dallas isn't a really touristy city, sorry.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,466 times
No kids, just three adults.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:40 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
No kids, just three adults.

If you are looking for places to eat/drink, try these areas:

Trinity Groves
Lower Greenville
Bishop Arts District (also has shopping)
Uptown
Deep Ellum
Knox/Henderson

Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 PM

482 posts, read 398,854 times
Quote:
We're spending about 4 days in the Dallas area for a weekend getaway. I've never been to Texas and was wondering what are some great things to do or see in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? We are spending a day in Waco to visit the Magnolia Silos. Any other suggestions? This will be in May.
I'd say the only must-do is the Sixth Floor Museum. I wouldn't want a single tourist who ever visits Dallas to miss it. It's such a world class amenity; it puts one of the most significant moments in American history right in your face -- to the extent that it almost feels like the present. Plus it's located right within the general area of some of the best urban experiences the city has to offer. If you have time to get to Fort Worth, I'd add Sundance Square Plaza to the agenda as well. Anything additional from there will depend on your preferences.

I don't think our aquarium gets the publicity it deserves. I've seen my share of them across the country and the Dallas aquarium is easily the best one I've been to. It's not cheap though, so maybe that has something to do with it not being on a lot of people's radar ...

If you're into zoos, you can't go wrong in DFW. The Fort Worth Zoo is regularly lauded as one of the best zoos in the nation. I believe the Dallas zoo's reputation suffered quite a bit from when it went through an extended period of mismanagement and decline a long time ago, but it's come back strong. Believe it or not, these days I actually prefer it over the Fort Worth Zoo. It keeps growing bigger and bigger and adding a broader range of animals and displays. I often feel like I need to visit it for several consecutive days to cover it to satisfaction.

Visiting the Arboretum is like being plopped down in the middle of one of the nation's most ornately-landscaped estates. It's stunningly beautiful. I feel like it's manicured in a way that makes for a peaceful setting even when it's crowded -- which is pretty much all the time.

My family always does the Dallas Museum of Art and Klyde Warren Park together. Makes for a great mellow day.

On the flip side, as far as an amenity I believe is overrated, I really did not like the Perot Science Museum at all. But generally it gets rave reviews, so you may want to consider it.

After sampling an assortment of the attractions listed above, I'd start to venture into the neighborhoods. The city of Dallas has a plethora of neighborhoods that each bring their own flavorful character to the Metroplex. Arguably I'd say the city's most trendy neighborhood is Uptown. It's the area that probably best combines all of the most appealing aspects of urban living. I like Uptown a lot, but I'll be honest: it has an upscale yuppie vibe that kinda irritates me from time to time.

There are plenty of other neighborhoods I could tell you about as well, but I'm aiming to keep this encyclopedia entry somewhat concise.

Oh, and the entire time you're here, no matter where you are in town, you'll be able to choose from about a gazillion good places to shop and eat.

Welcome to Dallas. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,486,590 times
Skip the silos.....nothing there but some food trucks.....
The store was pretty sparse and not impressive.

If you want to go to Waco....go to the zoo there or the Texas Rangers Museum.

6th floor as everyone else mentioned.

The list someone else made is mostly for restaurants...not really sight seeing.

Sights...maybe Reunion Tower.....Southfork Ranch...Ft. Worth Stockyards....see the cattle drive....

Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Deep Ellum has a lot of murals. Pioneer Plaza (cattle drive sculptures) in Downtown Dallas.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:28 AM

390 posts, read 389,259 times
Quote:
It's so much to do you just have to be willing to drive. On top of what the people above listed, slide up to plano and check out the legacy west area. Very charming, family friendly , and it has a huge Food Hall that's one of the best in the country. After that go to the Ford center at the Star in Frisco and take a tour of the cowboys facility and it's lots of shops and restaurants around . Sundance square is a must in fort worth and if you like live music check out the Toyota music factory in irving. If You like nature check out white rock lake area, cedar ridge preserve for hiking and you can Google some other nice parks. Oh and stop by Klyde Warren Park It is a beautiful urban park nestled between high rises over a freeway. Lots of events and food trucks.If you want to learn a little history while being over 560 feet in the air, then check out reunion tower on a clear day in the evening time to soak up the beautiful skyline. I could go on and on , but I would be typing for the next hour lol . No matter what you do, DEEP ELLUM ,SUNDANCE SQUARE AND BISHOP ARTS ARE A MUST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas