Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,638 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been working on my custom home for the last year or so and I am running into a bunch of problems with the process with the builder. I hired my own architect for my floor plan and elevations also hired my own engineering company for my foundation and framing plans. I have been running into a bunch of aesthetic defects with many areas of the build. I just recently started looking over my plans as the house is about 70% complete or so the builder says and caught that some of the framed openings are incorrect and not aligned with the plans. Also I hired a unbiased third party inspector to give a more detailed analysis on what else could be potential wrong with this construction. He also discovered that the house was built 2-3 ft short all the way around. This would mean my whole entire design would be compromised, rooms and square footage would be alot more narrower than planned. Ive stopped and ceased all construction at this point. Needing some opinions on what action you all would take on something of this level. I have contacted a few builders to come give estimates on the cost to get the house back to the way I designed and all of them have said it would be impossible to do without demolishing and starting all over. Please let me know your thoughts. I will share the progress and status of this situation. Hoping this has never happened to anyone else out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Sorry, can't really understand what is the major issue here, but "built 2-3 feet short all the way around" - what does that mean? Sounds like a pretty significant issue.

I hate to be coarse, but it sounds like you didn't check carefully the blueprints and bought a pig in a poke.

Did you get a set of plans, which you reviewed carefully and signed off before spending money? If so, those plans are the governing documents, effectively constituting a contract, and the building should be built according to those drawings. If you did not get a set of plans, review them carefully, and sign them page by page, but instead you just handed the whole thing off to Billy Joe Jim-Bob and his girlfriend who downloaded a free trial of a drafting program, then I fear you are screwed.

One other thing occurs to me:

Did you receive a set of foundation plans, with a stamp from a PE?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sorry, can't really understand what is the major issue here, but "built 2-3 feet short all the way around" - what does that mean? Sounds like a pretty significant issue.

I hate to be coarse, but it sounds like you didn't check carefully the blueprints and bought a pig in a poke.

Did you get a set of plans, which you reviewed carefully and signed off before spending money? If so, those plans are the governing documents, effectively constituting a contract, and the building should be built according to those drawings. If you did not get a set of plans, review them carefully, and sign them page by page, but instead you just handed the whole thing off to Billy Joe Jim-Bob and his girlfriend who downloaded a free trial of a drafting program, then I fear you are screwed.

One other thing occurs to me:

Did you receive a set of foundation plans, with a stamp from a PE?
Yes, I did receive the plans stamped from the engineering company I hired to design my foundation. The foundation design to the house length and width of the elevation are short meaning 2-3ft on all sides meaning there is a shortage in the actual square footage in all my interior rooms. I agree the building should be according to the drawings. But is not.

The builder that we hired to construct the home should have caught this error previous to framing yes? Because as the customer it is not my job to catch these errors. What would be the course of action you would take? I mean there is no possible way to redo the whole house. But the design itself for elevations is compromised. Thoughts?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:50 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblock View Post
Yes, I did receive the plans stamped from the engineering company I hired to design my foundation. The foundation design to the house length and width of the elevation are short meaning 2-3ft on all sides meaning there is a shortage in the actual square footage in all my interior rooms. I agree the building should be according to the drawings. But is not.

The builder that we hired to construct the home should have caught this error previous to framing yes? Because as the customer it is not my job to catch these errors. What would be the course of action you would take? I mean there is no possible way to redo the whole house. But the design itself for elevations is compromised. Thoughts?
If you are the one who hired the architect who drew up plans that had errors, it doesn't fall on the builder to catch those errors.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
If you are the one who hired the architect who drew up plans that had errors, it doesn't fall on the builder to catch those errors.
hmm, the plans have the front and rear elevations at 67-8" which the wheel calculated 64-8" and the side elevations 74-10" the wheel has it calculated at 72-10" curious to how this could be a architect error? Not sure who it falls on but so far from my understanding is if the plans have it at a specific spec and it comes up shorter than on the plans I could only imagine it is a builder problem. Help me understand your theory if this is the case. Any input is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,490,458 times
Sounds like you are the GC if you are hiring all the different trades to build your house.
Typically you would want to measure and inspect the forms before pouring to ensure it is to your plan and sitting where you want it on the lot. Yes your foundation engineer should also do this, but it's your job. You have to inspect what you expect.

At the next juncture, I would think your framers would also call it to your attention....hey this room measures 10x10, but on your plans it is 10x12. The trouble is I see and talk to framers who don't work off plans any more. This is scary to me. One told me when I asked where the plans were, that they didn't need them, that they had built that floorplan before? Sounds to me like that is what your framers did.

Not sure what you can do about it now that the slab is poured and the framing done and maybe more...except live with it.

Not sure how your project is set up...if you are the GC...you are mostly responsible for your trades doing what you tell them to do and not paying them if the work is not done correctly. Even if you are not the GC, you are or should be a partner in the project. Part of your responsibility is to check and check and double check their work.

Since you are not doing this already, buy a tape measure and a level and start getting out to your project at least once a week. Inspect the work. If it's not right call it out at a time your subs can fix it. Next up sounds like electric, plumbing, mechanical. The time to fix this stuff is before it is sheetrocked over....much tougher to move plugs, switches, etc once the house is built vs before sheetrock.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:08 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,419,592 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I have been working on my custom home for the last year or so and I am running into a bunch of problems with the process with the builder. I hired my own architect for my floor plan and elevations also hired my own engineering company for my foundation and framing plans. I have been running into a bunch of aesthetic defects with many areas of the build. I just recently started looking over my plans as the house is about 70% complete or so the builder says and caught that some of the framed openings are incorrect and not aligned with the plans. Also I hired a unbiased third party inspector to give a more detailed analysis on what else could be potential wrong with this construction. He also discovered that the house was built 2-3 ft short all the way around. This would mean my whole entire design would be compromised, rooms and square footage would be alot more narrower than planned. Ive stopped and ceased all construction at this point. Needing some opinions on what action you all would take on something of this level. I have contacted a few builders to come give estimates on the cost to get the house back to the way I designed and all of them have said it would be impossible to do without demolishing and starting all over. Please let me know your thoughts. I will share the progress and status of this situation. Hoping this has never happened to anyone else out there.
Quote:

The 2' - 3' short on all sides is a very significant issue with the initial foundation and can lead to compounding other significant issues through the build. At this point in time to obtain your original design would require a total removal and re-do especially if this is a Post Tension Cable foundation.

At this point I would be consulting with an Attorney to determine what your options are. I would expect any good Attorney to have a series of Engineering reviews to determine what all issues are present and what might yet occur as a result of this.

If your Attorney advises to have a different Engineer perform reviews, or you feel you want a different Engineer, I have PM'ed you the name of the best in this area.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
It's the GC's responsibility to inspect and/or oversee the inspection of every step of the construction process. Since you're acting as the GC, it was your responsibility to measure the foundation pre-pour perimeter and post-pour to ensure it 110% aligned with your construction plans. If the framing deviates from the plans because the foundation was poured incorrectly, that's not the framer's problem nor their responsibility. They would have assumed that the foundation was inspected and approved and that moving forward was a "go." Read your contract with the foundation company. It has to have some time frame specified for re-work to be done although if you've already submitted final payment, you're probably up a creek as that final payment implies that work was done to your satisfaction and that no punch-list items remain.

I don't understand why you would decide to GC your own custom home if you're not a licensed GC.....it sounds like you may have just learned the value of a GC.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's the GC's responsibility to inspect and/or oversee the inspection of every step of the construction process. Since you're acting as the GC, it was your responsibility to measure the foundation pre-pour perimeter and post-pour to ensure it 110% aligned with your construction plans. If the framing deviates from the plans because the foundation was poured incorrectly, that's not the framer's problem nor their responsibility. They would have assumed that the foundation was inspected and approved and that moving forward was a "go." Read your contract with the foundation company. It has to have some time frame specified for re-work to be done although if you've already submitted final payment, you're probably up a creek as that final payment implies that work was done to your satisfaction and that no punch-list items remain.

I don't understand why you would decide to GC your own custom home if you're not a licensed GC.....it sounds like you may have just learned the value of a GC.
There's no statewide GC residential license in Texas. Some counties, cities and towns have local licensing schemes that are nothing more than per-job money grabs for the most part. It's confusing because a number of trades do require licensing, plumbing, irrigation, fire suppression and electrical for examples.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I'd do this today.

1). Reverify the measurements using a steel tape instead of a wheel.

2). If the slab is really off my more than a few inches either way call the GC and find out what is up.

DO NOT threaten legal action under any circumstances at this time. Just find out what is up and report back.

I don't have time to go into it now but if the numbers are off as much as you think there is a least one legit reason why - although you should have been notified for sure - and dozens of illegitimate reasons why.

Measure again and report back.

ETA - escanlan's point about compounding errors needs to be emphasized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: