Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 AM

85 posts, read 199,755 times

Advertisements

Howdy DFW

Okay, a group us (5 or 6) are planning a bachelor's party travel weekend to either Dallas or Chicago. We're trying to narrow down our options as far as which city but I need some advice on DFW, in terms of what to do, etc

I've been in charge of researching Dallas & I must admit, though I grew up in the Metroplex, I know or have very little insight about the city in terms of hangout spots.

We're all mostly professional corporate working types, attorneys/exec's/senior-level prof, black men, college-educated (Harvard, UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, Wake Forest, Morehouse), cosmopolitan (i guess ), some-what clean-cut conservative types, family oriented men. Most of us either live on the east coast (Greensboro & Charlotte, NC) & ATL. Age wise range from late 20's to late 30's/early 40's.

So I need some advice on hotels and social activities.

1. is there an popular gathering area/locale which is the must-go-see among for black professionals? restaurants, bars, music, etc?

I know Addison & the Uptown area off the top my head, as far as my own business travels back to DFW. But we don't want to be around the college aged "kids" etc.

2. Hotel advice? Best location. Again, i'm looking at the Uptown/Downtown area but it seems that there's no social activities or hangout spots close by to checkout or hang out? I saw a museum etc

3. Any nice upscale strip clubs

We are looking to take in the sports touring stuff w/Cowboys Stadium (how much is it) & maybe a Rangers game as well. But definitely any assistance on the social scene would be much appreciative.

I know the DFW area is VERY spread out so car rental is definitely a must! But it just seems that everything is so spread out in terms of knowing exactly where to go & where are the hangout spots, from my observation over time traveling to Dallas. But I know its no ATL or DC, where you literally can fall into finding something to do, so I'm not sure where the go-to spots may be?

Looking for the "GROWN & MATURE" type black professional crowds/environment. But not too old or mature, lol, but some suggestions would be nice.

Any advice from black local professionals in the Metroplex would be appreciative? Where to go, hangout, shop/eat, clubs.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
I have to say, as a native Dallasite, that DFW strikes me as an odd choice for the tourist. Personally I would be somewhat hard pressed to name amusement choices for the out of town visitor that aren't just duplicates of what you can find all over the country. It's a great place to live, but just not very interesting to the visitor (in my opinion).

If I were going to spend a weekend somewhere with a half dozen buddies in a big city partying, I would definitely pick Chicago over Dallas.

Sorry.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Austin is a much better bachelor party / guys weekend destination if you want to go to Texas, IMO.

But I would also recommend Chicago. It's more walkable, compact and has much more comprehensive public transit. Ie/ there is no public transit going to the Cowboys Stadium or Rangers Ballpark. You'd have to rent a car or be Ubering almost everywhere.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I have to say, as a native Dallasite, that DFW strikes me as an odd choice for the tourist. Personally I would be somewhat hard pressed to name amusement choices for the out of town visitor that aren't just duplicates of what you can find all over the country. It's a great place to live, but just not very interesting to the visitor (in my opinion).

If I were going to spend a weekend somewhere with a half dozen buddies in a big city partying, I would definitely pick Chicago over Dallas.

Sorry.
I agree with this, unless the primary objective is strip clubs. They're not my thing to be honest (even less appealing now that I have daughters), but from what I understand, the Dallas market has a lot of them, and has 2-3 very nice ones. When I was new to the city I actually asked someone once why so many conventions are held here (as opposed to cities that are more stereotypically touristy), and the central location/airport was the first response, followed immediately by quantity/quality of strip clubs.

But yea, I wouldn't think of it as a bachelor trip destination either, and definitely not over Chicago.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Sorry.

LOL...funny you say that, b/c that's the very same reaction i had. But he's my buddy's brother, so it's his choice and oddly enough he narrowed it down to those two (2) cities. I even said, "you sure?" on the Dallas part.

I think a large part is more inquisitive. many folks living here on the east coast are just curious about Dallas. Just one of those check-off places & also there are a ton of Cowboys fans here along the east coast. Most folks are Redskins, Cowboys & a more locally concentrated Panthers fanbase.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Austin is a much better bachelor party / guys weekend destination if you want to go to Texas, IMO.

But I would also recommend Chicago. It's more walkable, compact and has much more comprehensive public transit. Ie/ there is no public transit going to the Cowboys Stadium or Rangers Ballpark. You'd have to rent a car or be Ubering almost everywhere.
that's interesting. thanks, didn't know that.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNC View Post
that's interesting. thanks, didn't know that.
Chicago or Austin, for sure. Dallas is a terrible bachelor party city. Chicago has some great bars (The Aviary) that Dallas doesn't have. Food scene is comparable.

If you can wait a little longer than 6 weeks, you could go tubing in Austin. In Austin, you can easily AirBnb a nice house, in Chicago you're more likely stuck in hotels.

I'm the exact same age as you, and have done 10 bachelor parties over the last 3 years (including both Chicago and Austin!). Definitely stay away from Dallas, unless there's an event you can wrap around (For instance, if you do Austin, and given your time frame, you could potentially check out the Final Four in San Antonio?)

Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I moved to Dallas two years ago and I really enjoy living in Dallas. No regrets choosing it over other options (including Chicago) for purposes of full time living. However, for a bachelor party trip, id do Chicago over DFW every time.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Egos and superegos too.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:14 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Can't speak to Chicago, but I've been part of bachelor parties in both Austin and Dallas and would pick Dallas hands down if you're trying to avoid "kids." Austin is great for a bachelor party when you're in your early/mid 20's. Not so much after that.

Dallas has some great cigar lounges, check out the Havana Club. (Not the Havana Lounge!) It is right next to American Airlines Center. You didn't give a specific time or dates, but you could catch a game there one night, then head over to Havana for cigars and whiskey. Austin won't have anything for sports fans. Or head on over to Nick and Sams for dinner after a game, very classy.

Some good places to stay for a group would be the Joule downtown, or Hotel ZaZa in Uptown. That would put you close to all the action on McKinney Ave at night for bars and restaurants.

During the day, you could make the run to Arlington to see Cowboys stadium, but I think you might be better served if you could schedule this around a training day at the Star in Frisco. See the players, have lunch in the area (Tupelo Honey just opened there if you're familiar with that place.)

As far as strip clubs go, it's hard to beat Dallas. I'd say it's even better here than in Miami, but more spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas