Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM

197 posts, read 776,851 times

Advertisements

DH and I are going on an exploratory trip to look at Dallas/Fort Worth to see if we might want to live there.

Dh likes the idea of living in a golf club community...and being near the airport. Can anybody comment on Vaquaro Golf Course and the nearby town. We know nothing about the area....just saw some of the homes we saw online. Are there good schools nearby? We have 5 year old twins.

Thank you in advance for any info on Westlake you can provide.

Caroline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,506 times
I know that Vaquero is supposed to be a very nice area, with some pro athletes living out there as well as someone else I know who has a ridiculously large house out there. I know Southlake schools are supposed to be excellent and I believe there is some sort of charter school in Westlake as well. If I am remembering correctly, you might have the option between Westlake Charter School (or something like that) and the Southlake schools. We are looking in Southlake area, too.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Westlake is small and exclusive. At one time or another they had the only State charter school run by a municipality. The school is very good. One little drawback about living in Westlake that I can see is that other than the homes, there is nothing there. All the shops/stores/eateries are in Southlake which is a good drive. Southlake, has homes and schools that are just as good but closer to the fun.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 PM

thank you--that is very helpful!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Vaquero is a very exclusive neighborhood that sits on 525 acres. Most homes are built on a 1/2 acre lot which gives much privacy between the homes. Also it is located in Keller ISD NOT Carroll (Southlake). The Charter school mentioned above is Westlake Academy for K-8.

Vaquero is a guarded gated community and with all the amenities such as 28,000SF community club house the HOA dues run almost 5K a year. The golf membership is not included in the HOA dues of course, but as a resident you get a discount.

Yes you have to drive to Southlake or Keller for dining or entertainment but it's a short drive. They are building around Westlake/Trophy Club closer grocery store such as Tom Thumb/Kroger.

The cheapest property here is 1.5mil and homes go up to 11mil.

Naima

Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM

168 posts, read 573,419 times
I live in Southlake. Westlake is a very close drive, great proximity to Southlake. We have many friends that live there. Extremely expensive. $1M doesnt get you much. Westlake Academy is like a European University, unbelievable. Vaquero is owned by Ross Perot, Jr. Hillwood company, which always does everything primo 1st class.... like Victory Park downtown Dallas, or the new subdivision at Forrest/Inwood, etc. However, you will pay for it. Bottom line, if I had $2M to drop on a house, Westlake would be my choice over anything in Dallas, it is beautiful with great schools....

Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
"The Charter school mentioned above is Westlake Academy for K-8."

It's up to 10th grade now and will encompass grade 12 in two years.

Also I wouldn't call Vaquero to Central Market/ Southlake Center a short drive. It's six miles.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-23-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 PM

168 posts, read 573,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
"The Charter school mentioned above is Westlake Academy for K-8."

It's up to 10th grade now and will encompass grade 12 in two years.

Also I wouldn't call Vaquero to Central Market/ Southlake Center a short drive. It's six miles.

It's a 5 minute drive from Westlake to Southlake Town Square... for those of us that grew up in TX with long drives to everything, that is a short drive

I guess everything is relative... what is short to you, 3 minutes, 2 minutes????

Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 AM

What is Southlake Town Market? Is it a mall or is it the local supermarket? Also, is it a community where one might find other transplants? Anything anyone can share about the type of life there would be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 AM

Nevermind, just looked it up and it appears to be a mall....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas