Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I asked about budget because there still seem to be a ton of people moving here who think they're going to get a huge brand new home in a nice suburb zoned to excellent schools for $200k and that ship sailed about 10-12 years ago. Take a look at the listings and you'll find out quickly if you need to bump up your budget or not. Forney is a cheap bedroom community in close proximity to Terrell.

I don't know anything about Lavon. There are some really tiny towns out that way that are just an extension of poor rural east Texas with all the unglamorous and un-charming issues of drugs and extreme poverty. I've never been to Lavon so not saying it's one of those towns but I have driven through several small towns like that between Dallas/Plano and Greenville. Just do your research.
Yeah, we are more concerned about the safety of the area, and not really about being showy about some awesome huge house. I've seen plenty of nice options in the areas people have mentioned as fitting our criteria for under $250-265k. This is our first mortgage together and I'm 42 - we want to pay the house off in 15 years, hence the presumed higher discretionary income. Since we're only 2 people we don't need a big 2 story house - just a simple ranch will do as long as it has at least 3 bedrooms so that my wife can have her office and I can split my office with a guest bedroom. I love the all brick homes as well, it's something many of the builders in the Midwest are moving away from, but it's classier and holds up better IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 08:46 AM

222 posts, read 603,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I asked about budget because there still seem to be a ton of people moving here who think they're going to get a huge brand new home in a nice suburb zoned to excellent schools for $200k and that ship sailed about 10-12 years ago. Take a look at the listings and you'll find out quickly if you need to bump up your budget or not. Forney is a cheap bedroom community in close proximity to Terrell.

I don't know anything about Lavon. There are some really tiny towns out that way that are just an extension of poor rural east Texas with all the unglamorous and un-charming issues of drugs and extreme poverty. I've never been to Lavon so not saying it's one of those towns but I have driven through several small towns like that between Dallas/Plano and Greenville. Just do your research.
I'm not sure I would call Forney so cheap anymore. I've lived here now for 3 years, and I have to say, the area is definitely gearing itself towards attracting more affluent buyers to the area and I'm happy about that. In my community, my builder (Highland Homes) starts its homes in the $250's range. There are also other developments planned for the area bringing in homes at this range and above. As the development of my community continues, I've noticed several families selling their current homes to move to larger new builds within our same community. The city council is taking note as well and there are movements toward getting the retail and restaurant options increased to reflect this (still a lot of debate about what the city is ready for in terms of price point at this stage). The transition of the area, albeit slow-moving,is on the way. I also have friends in the real estate business who are encouraging their clients to consider Forney due to expected growth and still reasonable price point for a nice home and community with a decent proximity to Dallas proper. I don't have kids so I can't speak on the school system very well. My neighbors, from what I can tell, don't have many complaints. The boom of the growth isn't taking off as fast as, say, Frisco, likely due to the lack of corporations/jobs which bring the higher end clientele faster, but I wouldn't count it out and would definitely recommend considering Forney among Rockwall, Heath and Sunnyvale. It's probably the closest to Terrell out of the 4. TurtleCreek, I know you're pretty in the know on areas in the metroplex, have you heard otherwise about Forney? From what I'm seeing so far, it seems to be pointing in the right direction.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
We know people/friends of our son/who bought in Forney after they were married to be close to wife's mom...
They both worked inside the loop in Dallas--he taught in over by Vista Ridge Mall off 35N and that was a long commute--about an hour each way...
Forney is growing like Topsy because of the land prices for developers
People are just putting in some really long commutes
But to me-just based on driving through on I20 going back/forth to FL
It is flat, boring terrain and really lacks infrastructure because retail hasn't caught up
Don't know about access to doctors/hospitals and what you do for fun...

Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 AM

85 posts, read 92,019 times
The traffic on Hwy 80 from Forney into Dallas is TERRIBLE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas