Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

I believe the sightings. There's all kinds of wildlife around here. I'd never think we'd have gators this far from the coast, but we do have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I believe the sightings. There's all kinds of wildlife around here. I'd never think we'd have gators this far from the coast, but we do have them.
Gators are native to the area, though rare. They're in the Trinity. Lots of people don't know that. As for Mountain Lions/Cougars, I would have argued that there is not one left in this area (also native to this area), but I believe some might have moved back in. And it's nothing to panic over.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not a chance.
100+ pound female or 200+ pound male MLs slaughter sheep tending donkeys/mules - a lab, I'm looking at a 70lb. female black lab as I type this, would be fodder for an real ML.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting by saying "not a chance."

The dog did not survive. There were multiple people there who charged the cat and made it flee, but the damage was already done.

Most adult male mountain lions are not 200lbs, average is about 150lbs, but if you're suggesting it was not a mountain lion attack, you are wrong.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'm not sure what you're suggesting by saying "not a chance."

The dog did not survive. There were multiple people there who charged the cat and made it flee, but the damage was already done.

Most adult male mountain lions are not 200lbs, average is about 150lbs, but if you're suggesting it was not a mountain lion attack, you are wrong.
Not a chance it was a mountain lion.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not a chance it was a mountain lion.

LOL well this is a relief. I will be sure to tell them there's no chance it was a mountain lion, EDS said so.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,204 times
I was playing golf at Sherrill Park in Richardson a month or so ago and came across a mountain lion/cougar on hole #7 on course 2. I was taken back a bit as I have never seen a cat that size (50-60 lbs) without a cage in front of it but it looked like he was more scared of me than I was of him. The cat was in in the open and wanted to find somewhere to get away. 1st thought it was a bobcat but bobcats have furrier faces and are stocky. This was a sleek golden cat with white fur cat and again was taken back cuz they are West TX predators, not East TX so it looked out of place. As I went to the number 8 hole, it ran off into the ravine but at the same time was wondering if I should call animal control. I am a dog lover and even more would not like to see a kid get attacked. Was not sure what to do as I have never seen a cougar before in person yet at the same time it was no bigger than a medium size dog and it appeared to be very afraid and just wanted to get out of Dodge. If it was a tad bigger and a little less timid I probably would have made that call. No news reports of a crazy cougar in Richardson so all good.

Last edited by jerod.brown69; 07-26-2018 at 12:50 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM

217 posts, read 382,028 times
I believe Katana..... why shouldn't I.

Prosper is basically a country town on the North side.... surrounded by country-side, creeks, greenery, etc... and we know they are just west of town as per recent confirmed kills..... for them to make it over North of Denton and over to Prosper is a very believable situation.

Katana, can you advise more as to the location in Prosper ? What was closest intersection for example. PM me if you wish.
Thank you

Old 07-30-2018, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,077 times
East Prosper along Wilson Creek. My husband saw an adult mountain lion down in the creek in December. We have lived here 20 years and have seen dozens of bobcats. He knew what he saw. At that time someone said they had pics on their wildlife camera from down in the creek of a mother and 2 cubs earlier last fall. We believe it may have been the 2 cubs (which have gotten much bigger). Whatever they were, they were able to pick up a 90 lb. dog and jump a 5 foot fence while carrying him. And I realize they aren't pack hunters, but the cubs do stay with mom for up to 2 years.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,077 times
Closest main roads...Between CR2478 (custer rd) and Preston Rd off CR1461

Old 02-28-2019, 03:18 PM

500 posts, read 583,675 times
Default Black Panthers, they are around

There are tons of “animal highways” that weave all thru the North Texas region and even thru areas that we deem “urban”. One just has to get off the road/sidewalks and see what is down that embankment, watershed, etc.

I did see one about 3 years ago in the Spring Creek Forest Preserve area right on the border of Richardson and Garland. I was about 100’ from it and at first thought, that is one big fat cat. Then I realized this was no house cat I saw. Sitting there still as a statue till he stood and jumped down the embankment behind him with a very long thick tail. Solid black, round head, pointed ears and that long tail. I was too taken aback to reach for my phone to get a picture. This would be inline w/ the ones others are reporting within that same path. My largest dog is right at 25” to the whithers, 64.3 lbs and solid.... this black cat was larger than that!
it was not a bobcat or over sized house cat, I’ve seen many a bobcat and coyote around here all my life and I knew it was not in the same category.

There’s been reports of a cougar for a few years in the area around Lake Lavon along the horse trails by Lucas. There was a report of a black panther over off Hwy 205 & 78 area not too long ago, per the reports in the link below.

I had not heard about the attack in Prosper, got friends there that I’ll have to ask if it was near their property.

There is a guy that has been collecting data on the black panther sightings and they even have game camera video and pictures that he has compiled into a book.

Texas Cryptid Hunter: The Latest Black Panther Sightings From Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas