Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM

390 posts, read 389,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
While it did start late this year, hot weather in Dallas is not 3 months, not even close to that. Also we often have very non-lovely weather outside of the summer months, like in the spring. Again, this year, has been mild in this regard.
Are you saying the heat started late this year?

Old 06-25-2018, 06:07 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This exactly. Focusing on the summer months while neglecting to acknowledge the often lovely weather the other 3/4 of the year does a disservice.
It's certainly not 3/4. Maybe you could say 6 months, but most of Dec, Jan, Feb, isn't supper nice. You get occasional warm day or two, but most of it is windy and in the 40s/50s which means it's just cool without the snow. 40 only seems like nice weather if its coming off of colder weather, say 20 degrees or something.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's certainly not 3/4. Maybe you could say 6 months, but most of Dec, Jan, Feb, isn't supper nice. You get occasional warm day or two, but most of it is windy and in the 40s/50s which means it's just cool without the snow. 40 only seems like nice weather if its coming off of colder weather, say 20 degrees or something.
This.

The only truly nice months are Mar, Apr, 1/2 of May, 1/2 of Oct, Nov, 1/2 of Dec. But even Mar/Apr have lots of storms so still can't do much outside. Let's say an average of 4 mos. So more like 1/4 of the year it's nice. Blink and you'll miss it.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
I said "often lovely". That doesn't mean it is straight perfect 9 months of the year. It means that during the other 3 seasons, the weather is "often" lovely.

The states along the southern portion of the US experience weather that cycles up and down during spring, fall, and winter. It can be 30 one day and 70 the next. DFW is not exempt from this.

Nothing I wrote is inaccurate.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I said "often lovely". That doesn't mean it is straight perfect 9 months of the year. It means that during the other 3 seasons, the weather is "often" lovely.

The states along the southern portion of the US experience weather that cycles up and down during spring, fall, and winter. It can be 30 one day and 70 the next. DFW is not exempt from this.

Nothing I wrote is inaccurate.
My point is that Dallas winter weather isn't super nice, it's just snow free.

40 degrees can be nice from the perspective of it being in the middle of a cycle, not the end point of one. 40 degrees feels nice if it's after colder weather, 40 degrees is exciting as you are getting ready for the 1st snow, have fall color and all that.

40 degrees sucks if it drops down to that and just floats. It isn't swiming weather, it isn't sledding weather, it isn't accompanied by dropping colorful trees, its just kinda cold and windy.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:19 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
My point is that Dallas winter weather isn't super nice, it's just snow free.

40 degrees can be nice from the perspective of it being in the middle of a cycle, not the end point of one. 40 degrees feels nice if it's after colder weather, 40 degrees is exciting as you are getting ready for the 1st snow, have fall color and all that.

40 degrees sucks if it drops down to that and just floats. It isn't swiming weather, it isn't sledding weather, it isn't accompanied by dropping colorful trees, its just kinda cold and windy.
Sure, it can be 40 or colder during those months. But that isn't even the average.

Average highs for Dallas:

December: 60
January: 59
February: 63

Not south Florida, but on a sunny day that is nice for the top down on a convertible, a walk, the hot tub, etc.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Your comment illustrates my point.

Yes I know it will be/can be 90 in October and 20 in January. I know this is not Southern California. I know there are severe storms.

But it will also be 75 in March and 70 in November and while that may not be everyone's preference, it is perfectly lovely weather.
The wind is a problem in the spring. I actually prefer Dallas summers. And fall is amazing.

Winter? Well, we did have three white Christmas in four years from '09 to '12.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
It’s hot and miserable and I can’t be outside much either.

This is not bashing Dallas. It stating a fact. Some of you are way oversensitive and defensive, this is a thread about the heatwave, not a thread about the months that Dallas has great weather. I loooove Spring in Dallas, but it felt way too short this year.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It’s hot and miserable and I can’t be outside much either.

This is not bashing Dallas. It stating a fact. Some of you are way oversensitive and defensive, this is a thread about the heatwave, not a thread about the months that Dallas has great weather. I loooove Spring in Dallas, but it felt way too short this year.
Yeah, believe me, when Dallas has great weather, I open all the windows and spend as much time as possible outside. Unfortunately that is a short window of time.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:45 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
But even the summer in Chicago has stretches of 90's as well and sometimes is super humid. Even places like Boise get above 100.

So if you discount Dallas because it gets a cold day in the winter even if it has milder days before and after, then you must discount Chicago because it gets a hot day in the summer, even if it is mild before and after. Chicago during a heatwave is miserable because some buildings don't have A/C. Chicago only has decent weather in May, June, latter half of August, September, and first half of October. That's 4 months. Dallas has great weather from March to May, then from October to November. That's 5 months in Dallas > 4 months in Chicago. Chicago has storms in all months and so does Dallas so the severe weather cancels each other out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas