Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 PM

371 posts, read 816,279 times

Advertisements

Death Valley topped out at 126 F (52 c) yesterday, which is 8 degrees below its infamous 134 F (56.6 c) record, which is currently deemed to be highest temp recorded in the world.

But, many other locales in the same region hit or neared all-time record high temperatures yesterday:

Palm Springs, 122 F, one degree short of all time record high

Las Vegas 115 F, two degrees short of all time record high

Needles 125 F, tied a the all time record high

I don't know enough about how the climate/topography/weather systems in the area work to really come up with an informed opinion on this. But, at first glance, it would seems odd that on a day when areas around Death Valley were touching all time highs, Death Valley was still off by 8 degrees.

Does this fact add to the doubt people might have about the 134 F mark?

Then, again, I noticed that nearby Baker was also well off its all time record high on Monday, so maybe that says something too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
Death Valley topped out at 126 F (52 c) yesterday, which is 8 degrees below its infamous 134 F (56.6 c) record, which is currently deemed to be highest temp recorded in the world.

But, many other locales in the same region hit or neared all-time record high temperatures yesterday:

I don't know enough about how the climate/topography/weather systems in the area work to really come up with an informed opinion on this. But, at first glance, it would seems odd that on a day when areas around Death Valley were touching all time highs, Death Valley was still off by 8 degrees.

Then, again, I noticed that nearby Baker was also well off its all time record high on Monday, so maybe that says something too.
We know for a fact that Death Valley has hit 129, as it did in 2013. And Death Valley is usually 4 degrees warmer than Needles during the summer months, infer from that what you will

Old 06-21-2016, 12:43 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post

I wouldn't put too much thought into whether or not the 134º reading is valid. In any given city at any given time, temperatures can fluctuate wildly. I don't know why one wouldn't assume the same could be said for the entire SW region.. So many variables affect local weather conditions it's not even worth pondering over. My guess is that the all time highs for Phoenix, Yuma, Blythe, Needles, Palm Springs, Death Valley, Las Vegas, etc. did not fall on the same day in history, so why would we assume they'd all approach or exceed them yesterday?

There's no doubt yesterday was one of the hottest days in a long time and most places established new daily record highs, but many all-time records still stand. Interestingly, it seems June is the month when many major cities in the region recorded their highest temps on record; I'm guessing it's because June precedes the monsoon which normally arrives in July.

The next few weeks are supposed to remain extremely hot across the SW with many cities expecting highs above 110º for the foreseeable future, so it'll be interesting to see if we get another major heat burst that will challenge all-time records again.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I am surprised the gap between Needles and Death Valley is so small, something about the geography of this heat wave?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:38 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Forget the 134 "record"!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:06 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Forget the 134 "record"!
Yep, that figure is definitely fallible. The actual highest record temp was said to be around 53.9°C.

This website was a good read: Extreme Temperatures in the United States-The record highest lowest hottest coldest USA registered temperatures

Even the record high of 56.7 °C (134.1 °F), recorded on 10 July 1913 in El Azizia is probably unreliable. I mean, we're talking 1913 in the Sahara. If that was an accurate measure, then Cloncurry's reading of 53.1 °C (127.5 °F) must also be an accurate one.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:17 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yep, that figure is definitely fallible. The actual highest record temp was said to be around 53.9°C.

This website was a good read: Extreme Temperatures in the United States-The record highest lowest hottest coldest USA registered temperatures

Even the record high of 56.7 °C (134.1 °F), recorded on 10 July 1913 in El Azizia is probably unreliable. I mean, we're talking about 1913 in an African desert. If that was an accurate measure, then Cloncurry AUS must have also reached as high as 53.1 °C (127.5 °F).
I thought the Libyan one had been officially discounted?

We've got an old record over here that's dubious at best: 35.6C/96F in Bawtry in South Yorkshire in 1906, still the all-time record for September anywhere in the country. For that to be true we would have to believe that somewhere in Yorkshire was hotter than anywhere in the south under a heatwave setup (which almost never happens) and that it got hotter in September than anywhere else in the north of England has ever managed before or since even in the hottest heatwaves in the window for maximum heat in July/August.

So what's the warmest temperature ever recorded that isn't disputed?

Last edited by ben86; 06-22-2016 at 05:33 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 06:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
So what's the warmest temperature ever recorded that isn't disputed?
Death Valley. 129°F. It's reached 129°F three times in the last 10 years, but the current station has never recorded more. This post is old, did any in Asia tie in recent heat waves?

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/we...tml?entrynum=3

Old 06-22-2016, 08:37 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I thought the Libyan one had been officially discounted?

It has..

A good video as to why the Death Valley record may not be reliable

Doubts Cloud Death Valley's 100-Year Heat Record | KPBS

Nearby stations were nowhere near 134. Not even close, 15-20F lower. I used to think it was a reliable record, but not so much anymore.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It has..

A good video as to why the Death Valley record may not be reliable

Doubts Cloud Death Valley's 100-Year Heat Record | KPBS

Nearby stations were nowhere near 134. Not even close, 15-20F lower. I used to think it was a reliable record, but not so much anymore.
I've even heard that the 128 in Lake Havasu City is now considered dubious, considering Phoenix's record is 122, and Needles' record (which they tied Monday) is 125, I would agree with the 128 in LHC being incorrect, furthermore, I think the 129 that Death Valley has hit a couple times is the world record
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather