Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times

Advertisements

The following post below is based on data straight from the NWS. Here are the website links below, corresponding to Dallas, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, respectively. This will allow you to check data for each of these three cities yourself:
National Weather Service Climate
National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix
National Weather Service - NWS Las Vegas

Below were observed conditions for July of 2017, for both Phoenix and Las Vegas. As clearly shown, not only did these two cities record numerous nights with low temperatures well into 80F, they even had some nights where the low temperature didn't even go below 90F. Seriously.

Phoenix:

Las Vegas:

Below are a set of charts displaying the frequency of low temperatures at or above 80F for both Phoenix and Las Vegas, based on years from 2000-2017:

Phoenix:

Las Vegas

And here are the frequency charts for low temperatures at or above 90F:

Phoenix

Las Vegas

Now here is Dallas:

From 2000-2017, Phoenix averaged 77 nights with lows at or above 80F, and 9 nights with lows at or above 90F. Las Vegas averaged 55 nights with lows at or above 80F, as well as 2 nights at or above 90F. Now contrast this with Dallas, which averaged only 15 nights annually with lows at or above 80F, and zero nights annually with lows at or above 90F. In fact, there has never been a low at or above 90F recorded in DFW's history.

As clearly shown, both Phoenix and Las Vegas regularly experience far warmer summer night time temperatures than Dallas does, and the difference is not even close. The notion that any of these two desert cities are "refreshing at night" was found to be laughable. So, if you ever hear or see anyone talking about how Las Vegas or Phoenix "cool of at night" compared to Dallas (or any Southern city), kindly refer them this data to show them how absolutely wrong they are.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-28-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
This is a temperature chart for Las Vegas based on data straight from the NWS. As clearly shown, average low temperatures there for June, July, and August are 75F, 81F, and 79F, respectively. Nothing cool or refreshing about these low temperatures:
Why continue lying about such a simple subject. I gave you current NOAA data so you go back to ancient data to prove the current is wrong?

Why on earth do you go to such a silly attempt to prove the current data wrong?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
2017 isn't ancient data.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,271 times
Anyway, back to the topic at hand...it's stinkin' hot outside.

Every year, there is one run I come back from that I deem my, "Why the F do I live in this horrible hot state?" run. That was this morning.

Last summer was pretty mild, though. And the winter was cold. We're probably due for another 2011-era scorcher. Given my DH will be job hunting in a year, maybe it will be enough to get us somewhere cooler!

Old 05-28-2018, 09:19 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Last summer was pretty mild, though. And the winter was cold. We're probably due for another 2011-era scorcher. Given my DH will be job hunting in a year, maybe it will be enough to get us somewhere cooler!
Then you'll just be complaining about the cold winters.

I'd rather have a summer in Dallas than a winter in Chicago.

But I'd settle for Kona HI.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The following post below is based on data straight from the NWS. Here are the website links below, corresponding to Dallas, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, respectively. This will allow you to check data for each of these three cities yourself:
National Weather Service Climate
National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix
National Weather Service - NWS Las Vegas

Below were observed conditions for July of 2017, for both Phoenix and Las Vegas. As clearly shown, not only did these two cities record numerous nights with low temperatures well into 80F, they even had some nights where the low temperature didn't even go below 90F. Seriously.

Phoenix:

Las Vegas:

Below are a set of charts displaying the frequency of low temperatures at or above 80F for both Phoenix and Las Vegas, based on years from 2000-2017:

Phoenix:

Las Vegas

And here are the frequency charts for low temperatures at or above 90F:

Phoenix

Las Vegas

Now here is Dallas:

From 2000-2017, Phoenix averaged 77 nights with lows at or above 80F, and 9 nights with lows at or above 90F. Las Vegas averaged 55 nights with lows at or above 80F, as well as 2 nights at or above 90F. Now contrast this with Dallas, which averaged only 15 nights annually with lows at or above 80F, and zero nights annually with lows at or above 90F. In fact, there has never been a low at or above 90F recorded in DFW's history.

As clearly shown, both Phoenix and Las Vegas regularly experience far warmer summer night time temperatures than Dallas does, and the difference is not even close. The notion that any of these two desert cities are "refreshing at night" was found to be laughable. So, if you ever hear or see anyone talking about how Las Vegas or Phoenix "cool of at night" compared to Dallas (or any Southern city), kindly refer them this data to show them how absolutely wrong they are.
Hey Just run the same chart with the heat index for the same periods. You won't of course as that data is not easily available and you know it would completely turn the results around.

You also are playing games. The averages of course reflect different outcome than a crude comparison of the minimal. And the averages show Dallas and Las Vegas as virtually identical.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
2017 isn't ancient data.
Read the fine print. The chart shown was from before 2010.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

But I'd settle for Kona HI.

I'll take the Bay of Islands area of New Zealand, if we can have our wish.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,271 times
Quote:

No, my sweet spot is the TN latitude! ~ 10 degree shift colder with a real fall. Perfection

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustn0084

Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Why continue lying about such a simple subject. I gave you current NOAA data so you go back to ancient data to prove the current is wrong?

Why on earth do you go to such a silly attempt to prove the current data wrong?
Quote:
The chart shown was from before 2010.
The charts I posted clearly go up to 2017. So actually, it's your data that's more ancient than mine.

At this point, it's best that you stay in school, man. And be sure to get your eyes checked while you're at it.

Quote:
Hey Just run the same chart with the heat index for the same periods. You won't of course as that data is not easily available and you know it would completely turn the results around.
We already went over this earlier in the thread, and you've already been proven wrong. End of story.

Quote:
You also are playing games.
Yes, it's been fun watching your inferior mind shrivel up at the sight of hard facts.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-28-2018 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas