Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM

313 posts, read 368,084 times

Advertisements

FYI, I am recruiting masters students at SMU and some resumes say "STEM and OPT Certified. Sponsorship NOT required until 2021."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 PM

630 posts, read 657,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Pretty sure that's not true, given that we have interns on OPT who graduated from private universities right here in the office.

Private university != for profit. I think you're confusing the predatory for-profit colleges with proper private universities (like Harvard & USC).
I erroneously omitted that. Only accredited public or non profit institutions are eligible.

In any case OP is wasting time now $ if he believes this will work.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
I erroneously omitted that. Only accredited public or non profit institutions are eligible.

In any case OP is wasting time now $ if he believes this will work.
He's probably not, actually. Get into any toss-off "STEM" program at the master's level and you not only get a 3-year OPT but 2 grabs at the H1B brass ring each year.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:13 PM

31 posts, read 25,524 times
I do not have any visa issues. I'm a US citizen. I want to use my education benefits. I want something in dallas where the classes are limited on campus and finish major part of it online. I'm more interested in science and healthcare side. So please suggest some masters degree that are easier for a busy woman and help boost my resume.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM

31 posts, read 25,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Regular university or private? Accredited or a rip-off? No particular interest in any field?
Regular university that is accredited. I'm interested in science and healthcare. It should be in dallas as I live in frisco area.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 PM

198 posts, read 186,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushijothika View Post
I do not have any visa issues. I'm a US citizen. I want to use my education benefits. I want something in dallas where the classes are limited on campus and finish major part of it online. I'm more interested in science and healthcare side. So please suggest some masters degree that are easier for a busy woman and help boost my resume.
I am by no means an expert, but I think the options for someone with your requirements can vary substantially depending on the school and campus. You may want to consider talking to a counselor. There may also be other forums - education based - where these questions may be better answered and you will be less likely to be judged based on your name and implied ethnicity.

[mod cut]

Last edited by Acntx; 06-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation/Orphaned (quoted post deleted)

Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 PM

263 posts, read 410,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpushiys View Post
There may also be other forums - education based - where these questions may be better answered and you will be less likely to be judged based on your name and implied ethnicity.
Finally someone with the decency and courage to say it- thank you

[mod cut]

Last edited by Acntx; 06-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation

Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 PM

263 posts, read 410,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushijothika View Post
What?

You may just be a busy mom, trying to pursue a masters in between all your other responsibilities?

You are not trying to fraudulently game the US visa system?

You have not even acquired the skill to disguise what you want versus what you say (ESL issues)?

It should be illegal that you will not further allow us to project and add another 4 pages of biases onto your original two line post

Old 06-08-2018, 01:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
I have no problem acknowledging that OP was treated rudely and with illogical contempt. It was uncalled for and should be condemned. What's wrong is wrong, there are no two ways about it.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 PM

578 posts, read 479,068 times
In all fairness, OP was treated rudely because her question was sketchy to begin with, if not trolling.
It's one thing to get an executive MBA, but it's another thing to pursue a master degree in science and healthcare from a regular accredited university. It's even harder for a busy mum to get one through online program.
There are admission prerequisites such as GRE and relevant bachelor degree/GPA, and the coursework may require some solid skill sets. OP shows no concern for these most important issues.
If a white male with privilege creates the very thread, he will also be ridiculed, maybe not in the exact same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas