Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,978 times

Advertisements

Frisco is my destination so I will try to avoid downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
Get familiar with "loop roads" around the major cities. Use Waze to decide if/when it makes sense to use them. They are sometimes a lot longer with respect to distance but can save a lot of time, depending on traffic, e.g., Memphis. You'll be coming into Dallas on I-30, but you may want to alter that toward the end, depending on your final destination. No need to go downtown if you are landing in Richardson, Plano, etc.! Safe travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Frisco is my destination so I will try to avoid downtown.
I would probably drive to Knoxville the first day, detouring through the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. It's gorgeous!

Then shorter day Knoxville to Memphis. Leave early so you can spend the afternoon visiting Graceland, Beale Street, stay at the Peabody.

Then Memphis to Frisco. You'll take 30 to Greenville and then take 380 over to McKinney/ Frisco instead of taking 30 through downtown Dallas and then back north to Frisco.

That's about three 6-7 hour days vs two 10's. You really won't have time to stop and see anything if you're driving 10 hours straight through.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Uh, I just realized your location says Manhattan. You're not expecting to drive from the city to Knoxville on day 1, are you? I thought you first said you were coming from VA. When I moved back from NYC, we drove it in 3 LOONG days. IIRC, made it to Blacksburg VA the first night which is prob 3-4 hours from Knoxville. Then we stayed in Memphis, then to Dallas.

You will have almost no time to see anything doing that Drive in 3 days.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:36 AM

I've cancelled all my previous hotel reservations and shifted my first day to a 13 hour drive straight to Nashville and stay at the Radisson Hotel 4.1 stars then next day go check out the Science Center. Second day +/- 6 hours to Little Rock at Double Tree overseeing the Arkansas River, I may go to the Maritime across the river if time allows. 3rd day will be Little Rock to Frisco about +/- 6 hours.

I want to accomplish 50 percent of my trip the first day as I'll have someone accompanying me so we should be able to tackle it without any issues. Then kind of take it easy the next 2 days.

You guys have always been very helpful, honest and realistic about your suggestions which is what I love about city-data forum community. Thank you for everyones' input and I do truly appreciate it.

Last edited by Capitalprophets; 06-08-2018 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 AM

Thanks I have to update my location to be Dallas. No I think it was someone else said VA. I'll be driving from New Jersey to Nashville, TN the first day. Going to bang out most of my trip with the help of my friend.

I have done NJ to Bloomington, IL by myself took close to 14 hours so I feel confident about this between 2 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Uh, I just realized your location says Manhattan. You're not expecting to drive from the city to Knoxville on day 1, are you? I thought you first said you were coming from VA. When I moved back from NYC, we drove it in 3 LOONG days. IIRC, made it to Blacksburg VA the first night which is prob 3-4 hours from Knoxville. Then we stayed in Memphis, then to Dallas.

You will have almost no time to see anything doing that Drive in 3 days.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 AM

198 posts, read 186,718 times
Sounds like fun...
Since u've done the route from Bloomington IL to Dallas , you probably came through St Louis. What do u think of that route ?
I personally love the drive through MO. If you liked it and if you like to city-hop, the route through Pittsburgh-Columbus-indianapolis-St-Louis may have more to offer.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
I've cancelled all my previous hotel reservations and shifted my first day to a 13 hour drive straight to Nashville and stay at the Radisson Hotel 4.1 stars then next day go check out the Science Center. Second day +/- 6 hours to Little Rock at Double Tree overseeing the Arkansas River, I may go to the Maritime across the river if time allows. 3rd day will be Little Rock to Frisco about +/- 6 hours.

I want to accomplish 50 percent of my trip the first day as I'll have someone accompanying me so we should be able to tackle it without any issues. Then kind of take it easy the next 2 days.

You guys have always been very helpful, honest and realistic about your suggestions which is what I love about city-data forum community. Thank you for everyones' input and I do truly appreciate it.
13 hours on your first day is way too long even if you aren't the only driver because it is the most difficult drive. Are you planning on taking 81 south to I-40 west? Those are two of the most difficult drives to get south and west. 81 is filled with truckers and in many places it is curvy and somewhat narrow. It is scenic though. I-40 is nerve wracking in places as it goes through the mountains.

A less scenic but easier drive is to head west through West Virginia. From there you can head south through KY and TN.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 06-08-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Nashville would be a great stopping point. Their downtown is nice and fun. There's nothing between Little Rock and Texarkana. I'd prefer to stay on the South end of the LR area, then drive to Dallas the following day.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Yes 81 south to 40 west is correct according to GPS.

The other two options are as follows:

68 W > 79> 64 W > 65 South through Kentucky

OR

76 W > 70 > 71 through Columbus, Cincinnati, OH and 65 South then Louisville, KY.

I am ok to take the other 2 options if 81 and 40 are not a straight forward drive. I'll have cargo with me too.

I'm further breaking my 3 days into 4 days so I don't have to drive straight 14 hours to Nashville.

Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
13 hours on your first day is way too long even if you aren't the only driver because it is the most difficult drive. Are you planning on taking 81 south to I-40 west? Those are two of the most difficult drives to get south and west. 81 is filled with truckers and in many places it is curvy and somewhat narrow. It is scenic though. I-40 is nerve wracking in places as it goes through the mountains.

A less scenic but easier drive is to head west through West Virginia. From there you can head south through KY and TN.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Yes 81 south to 40 west is correct according to GPS.

The other two options are as follows:

68 W > 79> 64 W > 65 South through Kentucky

OR

76 W > 70 > 71 through Columbus, Cincinnati, OH and 65 South then Louisville, KY.

I am ok to take the other 2 options if 81 and 40 are not a straight forward drive. I'll have cargo with me too.

I'm further breaking my 3 days into 4 days so I don't have to drive straight 14 hours to Nashville.

Thank you,
By cargo, do you mean you'll be towing? That would make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas