Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 37,223 times

Advertisements

So my job will be in Westlake near the intersection of 114 and 170.

We're moving to Dallas and I have a kid who will be in high school in a couple of years so schooling is important.

How feasible is the commute from Plano to Westlake? I like Plano for its schools, lots of other companies-including tech (for my wife to find a job and she's not a comfy driver), and is a bigger suburb with access to Allen, carrolton, mckinney etc. with lot more middle-class housing choices (<$400k)

On the other hand I heard Westlake is booming with new developments, so really torn on whether I should go to Plano/Frisco, suck it up and drive (I will have maybe a day work from home arrangement and time to go to work/back will be flexible) or whether we should look in the WL/SL area (how are the suburbs?)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 08:36 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
I just mapped Westlake to Plano West HS. It is mapping at 40 minutes at 9:30pm and about 37 miles. I can't even imagine what that commute would be for a normal workday. I personally would not sign up for that on an every-day (or 4 days a week basis)

What is your housing budget? There are probably some other options without setting yourself up for that commute. Just off the top of my head I would look at Flower Mound or Coppell. I am sure others will chime in too.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Thank you Jennifw. We did look at Flower Mound - interesting area, except that there appears to be no easy/freeway access to 114 - long commute through lights. But definitely interested in people's views of Flower Mound. My housing budget -- prefer to keep it under 450. 400 If I can. I live in a beautiful suburb in Houston with 10/10 schools, and I paid 300K for my 2500 sq.ft. house... so kind of spoiled I guess.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
If your wife can find a job in Collin County and you would want to change your job at some point and have prospective employers here then it makes sense to pick Plano, otherwise no reason.

There are people who commute to Irving, Southlake ,Westlake from Plano , even from places more north like Allen, Frisco and McKinney, but its just making your life unnecessarily complicated.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:14 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cerberus View Post
Thank you Jennifw. We did look at Flower Mound - interesting area, except that there appears to be no easy/freeway access to 114 - long commute through lights. But definitely interested in people's views of Flower Mound. My housing budget -- prefer to keep it under 450. 400 If I can. I live in a beautiful suburb in Houston with 10/10 schools, and I paid 300K for my 2500 sq.ft. house... so kind of spoiled I guess.
Flower Mound is big so your commute depends on where you live. We have many folks who work in Westlake living in our Subdivision. From South/West Flower Mound, take 1171W (aka Cross timbers road) to 377 South. 1171 is a 6 lane road, not much traffic. Westlake will be about 13-14 miles probably under 30 mins. You can also take 114 from 1171 from 35S but and it will take longer.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 PM

All this research is tiring!

Now looking at Coppell -- is that a good area? Seems like it's in a good location with sort of central access to the big eastern locations, DFW, and then west towards WL

Old 06-29-2018, 10:46 PM

167 posts, read 168,458 times
Quote:

Now looking at Coppell -- is that a good area? Seems like it's in a good location with sort of central access to the big eastern locations, DFW, and then west towards WL
Here’s on way to make the research easier.

Rent.

Give it a year to get your bearings.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:17 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:

Coppell is a good area. People who live there love it. The only possibly negative thing I have heard is that you have to be prepared to move quickly if you find a house you are interested in. They go quickly (and that's a good thing!)

We initially moved there from Katy and really loved it. (plus grew up in the Woodlands & Friendswood) Jobs took us to the east side of the city so Coppell didn't make sense but I think we would have stayed if not for our commute in the other direction.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2018, 08:01 AM

100 posts, read 135,152 times
maybe rent a house in plano/frisco first to see if the drive is bearable for you.

when we were searching for a house a year or two ago, our realtor kept showing us the houses in SL. she bad-mouthed about plano/frisco area for some reasons. our jobs are in Plano. so we decided to buy in this part of the town. but we love SL and wish we would rent and see how bad is the drive. but don't get me wrong - plano/frisco area is also pretty nice.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
If one want to be central, stay in parts of West Plano where George Bush & DNT intersect. You'll have reasonable commute to most of DFW in all directions. Home prices are reasonable, schools are great, shopping/dining/entertainment in abundance and employers easily accessible. Far north Dallas is next doors and parts feeds to Collin county and Plano schools, if property taxes and city/county services are Dallas ISD/Dallas county, it won't be similar value. Richardson near 190 & 75 intersection with Collin County and Plano schools is also a best of both worlds pocket.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 06-30-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas