Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:46 AM

263 posts, read 565,409 times

Advertisements

I read on another message board that many DC area private schools are going to stop offering them in a few years : http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/734077.page

I wouldn’t be surprised to see something similar amongst the private schools in a Dallas. The teachers don’t like the limitations of the AP program and selective colleges are not offering as much credit as in the past. Also, the private schools don’t play the same GPA game as the public schools, all courses have the same weight and the kids aren’t ranked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
If colleges stop considering it in admissions, students would stop giving it so much importance. However, as of today, AP credits do count as rigor for admissions and can save lots of time and money at 99% of american colleges and as getting into top 20 colleges is no easy task on merit, one should keep in mind that they may end up at other colleges.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
That was ages ago, things have changed and by the way you are the one getting pushed behind mediocre indian immigrants and i'm the one resentful about not being able to break glass ceiling because of my no name college credentials so neither of us is a role model for success.
Bull$it. Unless you went to DeVry or ITT, your "no name college credentials" aren't holding you under a glass ceiling. My guess is soft skills are....

These are the colleges from which the current CEO's of the TOP 10 Fortune 500 companies graduated:
CEO, Wal-Mart: U Arkansas, MBA U Tulsa
CEO, Exxon: Texas A&M, MBA Northwestern
CEO, Berkshire Hathaway: U Nebraska- Lincoln, MBA Columbia
CEO, Apple: Auburn, MBA Duke
CEO, United Health: Illinois State
CEO, McKesson: Minnesota-Twin Cities, MBA Xavier
CEO, CVS: U Pittsburg
CEO, Amazon: Princeton
CEO, AT&T: U Central Oklahoma, Masters OU
CEO, GM: Kettering U (Flint, MI), MBA Stanford (GM paid for)

Jeff Bezos is the ONLY one who graduated from a top 50 undergrad college.

Only 4 of the top 10 CEO's graduated from a top 100 college.

The graduate school pedigrees are more impressive with 3 holding MBA's from top 10 MBA program. But 4 of these CEO's don't even have an MBA.

Unless you work in a very small handful of industries (boutique finance, big law, etc) where the name on your diploma matters for decades....your school choice is not holding you back. And you can always apply to a top MBA program. The GM CEO received her Stanford MBA while in her 30's.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM

50 posts, read 91,658 times
When you are a new immigrant with limited means, no legacy, limited network, limited social graces and language skills, you want to give a leg up to your kids. That desire pushes new immigrants to focus on areas where they can with GPA/Rank being among the top of mind. May be for well connected white male with social graces, college does not matter but for immigrants it does.

So please find more comparable examples to illustrate your point.

It is disappointing that many on this board look down upon the desire to succeed by many parents/students in Plano etc. They will do better than they would without this focus on grades/GPA/Rank. Many of them will be saving your life as your physician in future so hold them in high regard.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Big name colleges also offer alumni connections to ones who aren't from well connected families or have extraordinary outgoing personalities, which matters in my profession. You can go far on your technical knowledge but after that connections and networking are considered a required skill in top management circle. Its just not me, brighter minds weren't able to make the leap.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond007 View Post
When you are a new immigrant with limited means, no legacy, limited network, limited social graces and language skills, you want to give a leg up to your kids. That desire pushes new immigrants to focus on areas where they can with GPA/Rank being among the top of mind. May be for well connected white male with social graces, college does not matter but for immigrants it does.

So please find more comparable examples to illustrate your point.

It is disappointing that many on this board look down upon the desire to succeed by many parents/students in Plano etc. They will do better than they would without this focus on grades/GPA/Rank. Many of them will be saving your life as your physician in future so hold them in high regard.
Who's post are you replying to?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 AM

50 posts, read 91,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Who's post are you replying to?
Yours specifically but more generally to those who criticize focus by Plano/Frisco parents/kids on GPA gaming/Rank etc. To me it shows they care and that is what matters most even if it is not the path I would choose

Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yours specifically but more generally to those who criticize focus by Plano/Frisco parents/kids on GPA gaming/Rank etc. To me it shows they care and that is what matters most even if it is not the path I would choose
For children of middle class immigrants, hard work is the only key to success.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I think you're reading tone that isn't there.

I think EVERYONE hates the GPA game monster. Clearly Plano ISD realizes it's a problem with the discussion around eliminating class rank. The public school system is broken when kids are dropping out of activities where getting an A+ will still "ding" your rank. And it's not even the high schools' faults; it's the state legislature mandated Top 10% rule which caused auto-admits to skyrocket (even the ones who are truly unqualified for college success) and holistic application admisssions to plummet. So kids and parents are doing what they need to do to get into UT, A&M, etc.

And NO ONE is criticizing Plano kids taking 10+ AP exams. When there are 300+ Plano graduates going to UT each year and 400+ to UTD and maybe another 1000-1500 going to the thousands of colleges that accept AP credit, go for it! My AP credits allowed me to change my major twice and still graduate on time, something that never would have been possible had I not had 18-21ish hours going in.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM

313 posts, read 368,323 times
Auto-admits are set at 75% for UT-Austin. Less than 75% of the A&M class is filled with auto-admits.

At Highland Park, the top 10% cutoff (all that's ranked) is around 4.2 so they had to give a pre-AP credit to students who take band, athletics, etc. for four years. I believe colleges will reward students who enroll in extracurriculars for multiple years and find success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas