Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 PM

146 posts, read 517,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Now, WORD OF WARNING CONCERNING SWIMMING IN TEXAS LAKES!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT SWIM IN SHALLOW STAGNANT WATER IN WARM/HOT WEATHER!!! There are ameoba's (sp?)/bacterias that live in the stagnant water and can enter thru your nose and ears. Usually when you "jump" into the water and the force sends it into your nose or ears. They can be deadly and people have died from them. Last year in some freak way a young man died in the Rockwall area by catching this bacteria IN HIS OWN POOL that showed no other forms in it. He had not been in the lake so they pinpointed it down to his own backyard pool that WAS CLEAN! This isn't just in Texas either but ANY warm weather climate. I've heard of it happening in Arizona as well.

That scared the daylights out of me! I think I'd rather face a gater- At least I'd know when I was being attacked. I'll have to check online to see if there are any symptoms to having these bacteria. I think if I swam in water that was borderline warm then it would be unsettling. I'm not sure if I would buy a pool now if I move to TX. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to use both ear and nose plugs, lol. I might as well just stay on land wade in the shallow. Thanks for the info.

Jason, those are some great pics. Cute dogs too. Looks like fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Delightful doggies. Canines rule!!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
DO NOT SWIM IN SHALLOW STAGNANT WATER IN WARM/HOT WEATHER!!! There are ameoba's (sp?)/bacterias that live in the stagnant water and can enter thru your nose and ears. Usually when you "jump" into the water and the force sends it into your nose or ears. They can be deadly and people have died from them.
Scarey and true seemly the stuff science fiction films are made from.

It's called...The Naegleria fowleri amoebae it's very rare but becomming more common. It enters through the nose and burrows into the brain.

its the warm water and the sediment that it feeds on...in AZ it's Lake Havasu is where it's been linked to deaths

Quote:
people become infected when they wade through shallow water and stir up the bottom. If someone allows water to shoot up the nose — say, by doing a somersault in chest-deep water — the amoeba can latch onto the olfactory nerve.
Here's the story msn had on it last year... 6 die from brain-eating amoeba - Infectious diseases - MSNBC.com

Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Scarey and true seemly the stuff science fiction films are made from.

It's called...The Naegleria fowleri amoebae it's very rare but becomming more common. It enters through the nose and burrows into the brain.

its the warm water and the sediment that it feeds on...in AZ it's Lake Havasu is where it's been linked to deaths

Here's the story msn had on it last year... 6 die from brain-eating amoeba - Infectious diseases - MSNBC.com

While it is not a very common thing to be wary of it is something one needs to be aware of. Being out ON the lake riding a boat, skiing, etc are not that big of a deal. They tend to stay in very UNDISTURBED, warm, stagnant waters that are shallow. Jumping off of a pier or such is when one would be more cautious of such and that is if the water is REALLY warm (hot more like it and I have YET to experience that in ANY lake in Texas) and stagnant. On the open body of water in the lake is different. Down in a shallow cove w/ vegetation growing and less boats and such disturbing the waters are where one would most likely find such.

The incident w/ the boy last year that got it from his pool was FREAKY and no one could explain it at all. They checked the pool water and everything was fine and it was a chlorinated pool as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas