Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 48,685 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im looking into moving to Texas. Looking at Dallas or Houston? Im a single, black, 31yo, Finance professional, woman with no kids.

I've been living in Atlanta, GA since college. Looking for a city where ppl actually want to start families, not just frequent clubs. HOWEVER, I don't want to move where absolutely nothing is happening either. I still want the option to go to lounges, museums, or an occassional day party. I LOVE black culture but diversity is cool too. I am looking to get married and want to move somewhere condusive to meeting young professional blacks. You know the deal with Atlanta. There's like 6 women to 1 man. Also, a lot of guys are gay. (I'm sorry but it's true). Single straight guys act like kids in a candy store. LOL. Hell I can't blame them. I know each city will have its own set of challenges. What's the deal with Dallas and Houston?

Give me your opinion on which city (Dallas or Houston) best suites me (especially for dating).

Old 08-03-2018, 01:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,276 times
A lot will depend on your criteria. DFW is a huge area.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:55 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Single young Black professional with no kids who loves Black culture? HOUSTON, by a landslide!!!!!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Definitely Houston. While Dallas is quite family-oriented and the black men there tend to be way more marriage-minded than the ones in Atlanta are, the black community is not very galvanized in the DFW area. They’re kind of just...there, and if you’re into anything beyond church, where to eat after church, and football, it doesn’t offer as much as Houston when it comes to the aspects of black culture that you’re looking for based on the criteria you provided. Black natives in the area get really angry and hypersensitive when people bring this up, because there is a large black middle class in Dallas/Ft. Worth, but historically, Houston was the cultural center for blacks in Texas and had an established black middle class long before DFW did (To be blunt, both cities had black migration to serve as “the help” to “the haves”, but Houston had more manufacturing jobs and blue collar jobs at the petrochemical plants and an HBCU presence unlike Dallas) and that still has an effect on the vibe of each metro area to this day.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 08-03-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Definitely Houston. While Dallas is quite family oriented and the black men there tend to be way more marriage minded than the ones in Atlanta are, the black community is not very galvanized in the DFW area. They’re kind of just there, and if you’re into anything beyond church, where to eat after church, and football,it doesn’t offer as much as Houston when it comes to the aspects of black culture that you’re youre looking for.
Very true.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 PM

573 posts, read 335,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Single young Black professional with no kids who loves Black culture? HOUSTON, by a landslide!!!!!
Houston for sure. More diversity than Dallas.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:38 AM

23 posts, read 28,852 times
Is that the only reason you want to leave ATL? Many people from Texas are moving to ATL. I think if you go to Houston/Dallas you will be in the same boat, theyre very similar. I live in ATL but im from Dallas ive been thinking about moving back but ATL is great in its own way but so is Dallas. I like trees and hills with a very short drive to other states with Beaches and mountains. Go visit both cities and determine. I hear houston is better for our culture with better food.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
Moving is unlikely to solve OP's dating issues. Her best course of action is to stay in Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Moving is unlikely to solve OP's dating issues. Her best course of action is to stay in Atlanta.
Agreed. I doubt moving will improve her dating prospects.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Agreed. I doubt moving will improve her dating prospects.
Right? If they were moving from a small town to a much bigger city, maybe, but probably not from one huge city to another that aren't too significantly different from each other.

If OP is really interested in "dipping their toes in" the TX dating pool, maybe try online dating and contacting people that live in Dallas or Houston to see if there is more of a connection/difference than to people in her existing city? (obviously use caution and never send any money, etc. to said people, lot of scammers out there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas