Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:29 PM

27 posts, read 36,284 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving from Canada and Dallas end of Dec and have 2 kids on the spectrum. How would I start my search in terms of determining what health coverage would cover autism therapy and also, what reputable companies that provide in-house therapy that are BCBA certified.

Thank you kindly,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
An online resource for special needs services is "THRIVE" magazine. It covers the DFW area, can be read online, and has an online directory of service providers, doctors, private schools, and such.

DFWChild Special Needs - Articles for parents of special needs children in DFW

Old 11-26-2017, 10:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You may be disappointed in the quality of services available here. I have no personal knowledge but have seen other parents complain here about the lack of services. You might do better with private schools such as the Winston School.. WHere will the job location be and what is your budget for renting or buying?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 PM

487 posts, read 467,862 times
Parents to build autism community in DFW | WFAA.com

You might want to contact these folks

Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated!

I will buying/residing in Prosper TX. My 6 year old is very high functioning to the degree that aside from a professional BCBA, one would not see the difference between him and a nerotypical 6 year old. He's doing well in school socially and academically. I also understand that Prosper ISD is a well reputable school district so hopefully, they will have the support in place should need be.

My daughter is 2 and was just diagnosed with a lack of social communication and high anxiety. This where I would appreciate a good BCBA recommendation. Also, coming from Canada, all the expenses for therapy are covered where as in the US, I have to navigate the many health insurers in Texas. Having said that, what would be the best method of approach to determine what insurance company will cover my children's autism therapy?

Thank you,

Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Keep in mind that Prosper is not a very big place and services can really vary from school district to district. The move will also be a huge adjustment and a lot of neurotypical kids can have a tough time adjusting. Your child has autism and many ASD kids have a tough time adjusting to relatively minor changes. For your 2 year old you’ll need a referral to Early Childhood Intervention which works with kids 3 and under. You’ll need to get that going with your pediatrician as soon as you get here.

Honestly, moving to a small place like Prosper might not be the best choice for your family especially since you’ll have a big learning curve already with moving countries. You might want to consider Denton or Keller instead. If you access private therapy you’ll probably have to drive to either city anyways.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:27 PM

332 posts, read 1,387,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts_123 View Post
Hi all,

I'm moving from Canada and Dallas end of Dec and have 2 kids on the spectrum. How would I start my search in terms of determining what health coverage would cover autism therapy and also, what reputable companies that provide in-house therapy that are BCBA certified.

Thank you kindly,
Will you be purchasing insurance on the market? The majority of folks in the US have employer sponsored healthcare plans. Autism treatments which are prescribed by a physician are covered under any Texas plan. For ABA there are plan and treatment caps depending on the age of your child. I think the cutoff is age 9 for the caps to kick in. (Maybe 30k a year cap?)

Treatments are still subject to any deductible/copay of the particular plan.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Keep in mind that Prosper is not a very big place and services can really vary from school district to district. The move will also be a huge adjustment and a lot of neurotypical kids can have a tough time adjusting. Your child has autism and many ASD kids have a tough time adjusting to relatively minor changes. For your 2 year old you’ll need a referral to Early Childhood Intervention which works with kids 3 and under. You’ll need to get that going with your pediatrician as soon as you get here.

Honestly, moving to a small place like Prosper might not be the best choice for your family especially since you’ll have a big learning curve already with moving countries. You might want to consider Denton or Keller instead. If you access private therapy you’ll probably have to drive to either city anyways.
Thankfully, my 6 year old is very social and can adapt very easily to new surroundings and people. It's too soon to tell with my daughter as she just turned to 2 hence me opening this thread.

As far as relocating from Prosper, thats a non starter as we built a home from ground up and are closing end of Dec. Driving isn't really a consideration as I'm counting on in house therapy just as we did with my 6 year old in Canada. Was looking for recommendations for BCBA's but none as yet. Hopefully someone will chime in soon in that regard.

Didn't know you needed a pediatrician for early intervention services. Good to know... Thank you!

Old 11-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
Will you be purchasing insurance on the market? The majority of folks in the US have employer sponsored healthcare plans. Autism treatments which are prescribed by a physician are covered under any Texas plan. For ABA there are plan and treatment caps depending on the age of your child. I think the cutoff is age 9 for the caps to kick in. (Maybe 30k a year cap?)

Treatments are still subject to any deductible/copay of the particular plan.
Not employed as yet as my visa was just approved and residency to be issued at point of entry so will need private insurance.

Did not know however, that autism related services were subject to deductibles/copay...thats expected news...will have to call around insurance companies that will best accommodate my specific situation. Thank you for your input.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:40 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
I guess it’s too late for this question but why would one build a house in a random place without knowing about job location or services available for special need children? Do you have family ties in Prosper or have a job lined up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: