Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM

10 posts, read 33,941 times

Advertisements

What smaller (and less expensive) towns are there within a 30 minute commute of Garland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
By "less expensive" what price range are you looking in? Garland is a LARGE city (10th largest in the state) and has a wide variety of housing crossing the spectrum from one end to the other. You might be able to find something in your price range in Garland. While it is a large city it does have a GREAT small town feel. I LOVE IT! Since I'm a native Dallasite it is about the only area left in the Dallas Metroplex where you feel "at home" with people that know you or someone you do no matter where you go around this place.

Now, to stay w/in a 30 minute drive to wherever you need to go in Garland it is going to make a HUGE difference in what area of Garland your trying to get to. Like I said above it is a LARGE CITY and if your coming from say Royce City and trying to get all the way over to the Firewheel area of Garland in rush hour traffic it is not going to happen in 30 minutes. If you only need to get to the area of Garland around I30 then PIECE OF CAKE! Same for say an area up around Wylie like Nevada or Princeton. A 30 minute drive to the northeast part of Garland (Firewheel) but could take an hour to get over to around I30 & LBJ.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM

My husband is in management for Sam's Club and there is a position available at the Garland club he may possibly apply for. I'm trying to get a feel for the different places that come available so that we can make a better decision. We plan on leasing and $1100 would be our max.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Then it would be in northeast Garland in the Firewheel are. Sam's is on N. Garland Ave right at Hwy 190 (aka George Bush Turnpike and yes it is a tollroad). If your looking to start in an apartment to get the feel of the area I'd HIGHLY recommend the apartments right across the street from Sam's, Stoneleigh at Spring Creek (road they are on is Naaman Forest). Gated and some have a garage, rec room, etc. Seven Oaks on down 190 @ Campbell is also another good choice. Then over at Firewheel Town Center (outdoor mall) you have the new apartments, townhomes Parkside at Firewheel. Rent is supposed to be VERY reasonable from what I've heard. They must have a ton of people already moving in there as I see people out walking from there when I've had to be up at the mall early for a hair appt. Along w/ the amount of cars parked there.

If your wanting a single family home you should be able to find a nice one in Garland in that range. The Firewheel area is the newest area to be developed in Garland and it is not high density and they are trying to keep it quality. Very family friendly area. Good schools w/ magnet programs. Close and easy to get just about anywhere in the metroplex. And it still has that small town feel. My relatives that have all moved over here from where we all grew up now see what attracted us to the area. None of them want to leave and are trying to get the rest to follow. Great.........now that the relatives all live right by me I might need to move

Hope this helps. If you want a REAL small town you can go right up Hwy 78 from here and hit Sachse but it is part of Garland just about and not any different. Or keep going up 78 past Wylie to Nevada, Farmersville, Princeton. Bit more of a drive to not really gain a whole lot except more traffic.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 PM

So there'd be no avoiding the toll huh? We'd need a single family home, we have 2.5 yr old twins. $1100 is really at the high end of what we're looking for and I'd hate to have to settle for an apt with two toddlers. I really appreciate your help!!

P.S. I hope your family being in close proximity brings you more joy than pain!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing_two View Post
So there'd be no avoiding the toll huh? We'd need a single family home, we have 2.5 yr old twins. $1100 is really at the high end of what we're looking for and I'd hate to have to settle for an apt with two toddlers. I really appreciate your help!!

Yes, you can avoid it if you don't use it. It's not too bad and the traffic on tollroads around here tends to be lighter than other highways so paying it saves $$$$$ in gas (especially when it is 3.50 a gallon ). You can be zipping along and not sitting at a red lights.

I'm sure you could find a home around here in your budget that would fit. I'd look over in the Valley Creek area on the other side of the mall here in Firewheel. You might even be able to find one in Firewheel or the Greens in your price range. GREAT family area and right by the Sam's is the waterpark (Hawaiian Falls), LifeTime Fitness, Winters Park for soccer and baseball thru the city, SuperTarget, SuperWalmart, all 12 grades of school, etc. You don't have to pay a toll for some stretches of it right here so if you live right here and "ramp jump" or don't need to get on it then it is SO EASY to do w/ everything right here.

If you find something and need more "dirt" on it feel free to pm me and I'll let you know all I can about the area and schools and such.

Yes, it has been nice having them close. Parents are literally two stop signs away. Hubby thought it would be TOO CLOSE for him but he likes they are close when we need that pinch babysitter We don't run into any of the family even though they all live right here and we all shop and visit the same restaurants and stores (my parents, an aunt and uncle, cousin and her family, etc). So it's been good and not bad.........whew

Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks again!!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing_two View Post

Sachse and Wylie have some nice homes that are in the 125k range, and you can take Garland Ave straight to Sams Club w/o paying tolls.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
Garland itself would be a good choice. It is probably one of the least expensive suburbs, but there is housing in all price ranges. I would also suggest Rowlett, its right around the corner from the Garland Sam's club. In Garland I'd suggest either the 75044 zip code, or 75040.

Check around 78 and Pleasant Valley, Buckingham and Shiloh, and Shiloh and Arapaho. There are a lot of 3 to 4 bedroom rentals built in the 70's and early 80's in these areas. You might also want to look around downtown Garland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas