Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:37 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
I would never invest in South Dallas until I started to see corporate relocation and there is a good reason why. I don’t even want to go anywhere near there. Back in the 90s you had a good chance of getting shot during wn there. In fact the only place I ever seen someone shot and lying on the street was in south Dallas in the 90s. I knew some truck drivers who were robbed or shot down there doing deliveries.

The place was a war zone back then and in many cases still is. It may have changed a bit but the area has a lot problems. South Dallas is not really a nice place to live and if your poor your really better off anywhere else.
Did you read the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
This forum is heavily and overwhelmingly dominated by posters in northern Dallas and the northern suburbs. Its been that way since I joined back in 2007 and remains that way today. I do believe that perceptions about the area, at least on this forum, have improved. Eleven years ago, the few who inquired about any of the southern suburbs would be told to look elsewhere, often by people living in other parts of DFW with little to no encounters in the communities they were steering people from. There are still blanket generalizations and negativity that pops up from time to time. With more members from the area joining and participating over the years, however, its much less of an issue now. When seen as a viable option to a poster, its no longer uncommon to see Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, Midlothian, Waxahachie, Red Oak and others being recommended for consideration. The wholesale "writing off" of every single school and school district south of Dallas has also calmed down to an extent as well.
Agreed, because the area has improved over the last 20-30 years.

Quote:
I would never invest in South Dallas until I started to see corporate relocation and there is a good reason why. I don’t even want to go anywhere near there. Back in the 90s you had a good chance of getting shot during wn there. In fact the only place I ever seen someone shot and lying on the street was in south Dallas in the 90s. I knew some truck drivers who were robbed or shot down there doing deliveries.

The place was a war zone back then and in many cases still is. It may have changed a bit but the area has a lot problems. South Dallas is not really a nice place to live and if your poor your really better off anywhere else.

But this is also true. Back in my younger days, I was looking to buy a house near downtown, and in my budget, I couldn't afford a SFH unless it was in Oak Cliff/Fair Park area. I even went to look at a few of them, and at the time, (and still holds true in many places in that area) you'd see bars on all the windows and doors and driving through some neighborhoods, it looked like I'd be the only white homeowner on a given street. It was around the Oak Cliff area that my friends and I were actually shot at while driving home from a concert, came home with a bullet hole in my quarter panel.

The area is slowly being transformed, and if you were a patient investor and could afford to wait out the change, you could make some money in real estate, but it's taking forever. My father actually owned a warehouse/garage near Ennis (much further south I know) and it didn't see any appreciation during an entire 20-25 yr stretch.

South Dallas will have its day in the sun someday, but the biggest roadblock I see is that development will go East before it will go South, and we're already seeing that with Heath, Forney, Rowlett, Sunnyvale, etc.. being developed.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I know there is a whole city initiative about "growing south Dallas", but I guess what I mean is - instead of continuing the march upwards all the way to southern Oklahoma, why haven't businesses looked into some of the southern suburbs as potential relocations? I presume (and I mean no offense) that there is a better educated populace as you go further north, but if companies started opening up shop in some of the southern suburbs, would the more affordable housing and real estate be a draw to start developing the southern suburbs similar to the northern suburbs? I am mainly thinking about as north dallas/suburbs become over-developed, does it make sense to keep expanding north (eventually touching Oklahoma) or start to develop the south?
The river and the flood plains are a major discontinuity.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:04 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
It's a lot closer drive to go down to see World Series games at Minute Maid Park!

But seriously folks the development pattern does seem to resemble Atlanta. Or maybe Atlanta resembles Dallas

Old 08-16-2018, 07:59 AM

242 posts, read 360,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Did you read the OP?
Yes I am saying no one will touch south of Downtown when you may get shot living there. It's pretty much a no mans land down there. Will people commute from other areas south sure they will. The problem is you have to drive through the bad area to get there. This means it will always be worth less money south of downtown if you don't feel safe there. This area is reason why you need to be able to carry a gun in Texas.

The best hope to turn the area around is the Trinity Forest and the Bryon nelson being there every year. But if the PGA moves to frisco and builds a new golf course and the Bryon Nelson Moves again there will not be development for another 20 years.

Last edited by frisco19542; 08-16-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Default FYI: Southern Dallas County Terminology

Just an FYI to consider as the thread moves forward. The term "South Dallas" has to be one of the most overused and incorrectly applied names in the Dallas Forum. There is no monolithic entity known as "South Dallas" that covers all of southern Dallas County.

The real "South Dallas" is a neighborhood located immediately south/southeast of downtown Dallas. It is one of the poorest, most neglected areas in the city of Dallas.

The "Southern Sector" or "Southern Dallas" includes areas within the city of Dallas that are located south of the Trinity River. This area is quite large and as such, has a wide variety of neighborhoods that range from the increasingly popular and gentrifying areas of North Oak Cliff, to the working class neighborhoods in Redbird and southwest Dallas, to the lower income areas near I-45.

The "Southern Suburbs" or the "Best Southwest" include incorporated communities located south of Dallas proper. The four largest southern suburbs – Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster, share a border with the city of Dallas.

These descriptions came from one of my old posts in 2009, when I was assisting a new member looking at areas south of Dallas. If there are any other terms you can think of, feel free to post them.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Yes I am saying no one will touch south of Downtown when you may get shot living there. It's pretty much a no mans land down there. Will people commute from other areas south sure they will. The problem is you have to drive through the bad area to get there. This means it will always be worth less money south of downtown if you don't feel safe there. This area is reason why you need to be able to carry a gun in Texas.

The best hope to turn the area around is the Trinity Forest and the Bryon nelson being there every year. But if the PGA moves to frisco and builds a new golf course and the Bryon Nelson Moves again there will not be development for another 20 years.
You literally know nothing about the Southern half of the City. First of all “South Dallas” is the area around Fair Park. Nobody, (but outsiders) call everything south of Downtown “South Dallas”.

People are so consumed by fear it’s laughable. If you really think Oak Cliff, South Dallas, Pleasent Grove, etc. literally have people with guns waiting to shoot, you’re delusional. Heck, there are whole areas of Oak Cliff being gentrified as we speak. There’s parts of Oak Cliff with homes that are VERY comparable to the nicest area of any suburb.

It really baffles me how people really think Southern Dallas is some type of warzone. It’s not even close to the most dangerous area in the Country. It is NOT the Southside of Chicago, where you can literally get shot while mowing your lawn. I personally know people who’ve moved here from places like Chicago or Detroit. They have asked why people think Southern Dallas is so bad? From where they come from, they think the toughest areas in Dallas are “weak” in comparison.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Just an FYI to consider as the thread moves forward. The term "South Dallas" has to be one of the most overused and incorrectly applied names in the Dallas Forum. There is no monolithic entity known as "South Dallas" that covers all of southern Dallas County.

The real "South Dallas" is a neighborhood located immediately south/southeast of downtown Dallas. It is one of the poorest, most neglected areas in the city of Dallas.

The "Southern Sector" or "Southern Dallas" includes areas within the city of Dallas that are located south of the Trinity River. This area is quite large and as such, has a wide variety of neighborhoods that range from the increasingly popular and gentrifying areas of North Oak Cliff, to the working class neighborhoods in Redbird and southwest Dallas, to the lower income areas near I-45.

The "Southern Suburbs" or the "Best Southwest" include incorporated communities located south of Dallas proper. The four largest southern suburbs – Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster, share a border with the city of Dallas.

These descriptions came from one of my old posts in 2009, when I was assisting a new member looking at areas south of Dallas. If there are any other terms you can think of, feel free to post them.
Thank you! Please educate them.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:

^^ Exactly this. "North Dallas" is also overused and ambiguous.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 AM

242 posts, read 360,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You literally know nothing about the Southern half of the City. First of all “South Dallas” is the area around Fair Park. Nobody, (but outsiders) call everything south of Downtown “South Dallas”.

People are so consumed by fear it’s laughable. If you really think Oak Cliff, South Dallas, Pleasent Grove, etc. literally have people with guns waiting to shoot, you’re delusional. Heck, there are whole areas of Oak Cliff being gentrified as we speak. There’s parts of Oak Cliff with homes that are VERY comparable to the nicest area of any suburb.

It really baffles me how people really think Southern Dallas is some type of warzone. It’s not even close to the most dangerous area in the Country. It is NOT the Southside of Chicago, where you can literally get shot while mowing your lawn. I personally know people who’ve moved here from places like Chicago or Detroit. They have said why people think Southern Dallas is so bad? From where they come from, they think the toughest areas in Dallas are “weak” in comparison.
Just do a check for violent crimes and you will see many of the worst neighborhoods in the city are in south Dallas. Here is a website that shows crime may not be the best but should give you an idea of people see.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

At the end of the day I stay away from areas that are not safe and generally speaking any area south of 30 is not good. Are some areas ok there? Probably but why would I or anyone else drive down there to hang out? The truth is South Dallas is probably more dangerous then Compton or Detroit and rivals the Southside of Chicago. The reason it's not as bad as Chicago is lots people carry guns and shoot back at criminals.

If your an investor buying real estate why buy in South Dallas when you can invest in a Northern Suburb that is safe and doesn't need the added cost of security for not much more in price. The income people make in South Dallas is also really bad and has been for a very long time. In many ways it's like a 3rd world county and a lot times elected officials ways of dealing with it is to just pretend the area doesn't really exist. It's pretty much the opposite of North Dallas in every way.

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2018 at 01:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas