Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,124 times

Advertisements

I noticed the word "Frisco" in your handle. When was the last time you ventured into Oak Cliff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:42 AM

242 posts, read 360,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I noticed the word "Frisco" in your handle. When was the last time you ventured into Oak Cliff?
A few months ago for a sporting event at a park nearby. Went to bishop arts district and seen a car that broken into with a smashed window. So we drove north to have lunch instead. Some things never change.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

The area is slowly being transformed, and if you were a patient investor and could afford to wait out the change, you could make some money in real estate, but it's taking forever. My father actually owned a warehouse/garage near Ennis (much further south I know) and it didn't see any appreciation during an entire 20-25 yr stretch.

South Dallas will have its day in the sun someday, but the biggest roadblock I see is that development will go East before it will go South, and we're already seeing that with Heath, Forney, Rowlett, Sunnyvale, etc.. being developed.
Thank you. You can't have this discussion without ignoring that fact, which I see many people are doing.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:40 AM

109 posts, read 123,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
A few months ago for a sporting event at a park nearby. Went to bishop arts district and seen a car that broken into with a smashed window. So we drove north to have lunch instead. Some things never change.
You do realize that cars get broken into even in areas of Dallas that are North of downtown, right? Rising housing prices show that there are plenty of people who are willing to "touch" areas like Oak Cliff, but perhaps not those who begin to get scared when they drive South of 635.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,758 times
This is completely anecdotal, but I was actually born in the part of Dallas that is zoned to Duncanville ISD. Both of my parents worked for the City of Dallas so they bought a little house built in the 70s that was situated on a treed lot in a hilly part of the city. I actually just looked it up on Google maps and there has been very little development around there at all. Even back in the 80s they knew that they would never send me to the public schools there and they always planned to enroll me in a private school (which school I have no idea). Anyway, they got divorced when I was young and that's when my mom and I moved waaaay up north to Prosper after she got remarried.

But my dad stayed in that part of the metroplex all the way up until I was in high school. He settled in Desoto and he even had a duplex that he rented out there. Going from Prosper during the week to Desoto on the weekend was a bit of a culture shock, but I never felt unsafe.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasmom View Post
You do realize that cars get broken into even in areas of Dallas that are North of downtown, right? Rising housing prices show that there are plenty of people who are willing to "touch" areas like Oak Cliff, but perhaps not those who begin to get scared when they drive South of 635.
Yeah, people get their cars broken into all the time in Frisco. frisco19542 needs to read the police reports that are published by FPD. No one is immune to that.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:12 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
Yes I am saying no one will touch south of Downtown when you may get shot living there. It's pretty much a no mans land down there. Will people commute from other areas south sure they will. The problem is you have to drive through the bad area to get there. This means it will always be worth less money south of downtown if you don't feel safe there. This area is reason why you need to be able to carry a gun in Texas.

The best hope to turn the area around is the Trinity Forest and the Bryon nelson being there every year. But if the PGA moves to frisco and builds a new golf course and the Bryon Nelson Moves again there will not be development for another 20 years.
The OP specifically asked about the southern suburbs.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM

692 posts, read 855,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
People are so consumed by fear it’s laughable.
Yup, but be fair: how many times have you seen me respond to people on this forum who are afraid to live in IRVING?. It's an equal-opportunity terror, not just pointed southbound.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM

242 posts, read 360,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
The OP specifically asked about the southern suburbs.
Most of the southern suburbs south of Dallas are not really good school districts. Who wants to live in duncanville or balch springs???? South of Dallas county is not really a good area.

Manfield is good and other areas south of Tarant county but not anything near Dallas. I would also avoid mesquite too

There is a reason that area is dirt cheap.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,461 times
Quote:
Most of the southern suburbs south of Dallas are not really good school districts. Who wants to live in duncanville or balch springs???? South of Dallas county is not really a good area.

Manfield is good and other areas south of Tarant county but not anything near Dallas. I would also avoid mesquite too

There is a reason that area is dirt cheap.

So, avoid all areas with large numbers of black and Hispanic people? Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas