Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 04:45 PM

51 posts, read 117,677 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently signed a contact with Lennar Homes to build a home in Saddlebrook village, Frisco TX.

I read lot of bad reviews about Lennar homes which is making me to rethink. I have paid 4K to sign the contract.

I need your opinion on Lennar homes. Are they really bad?

It's a 3500 sq ft home for around 400K.

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I live in an older and smaller Lennar house and it's fine, except for one part of the foundation. There is a drainage across my backyard then down the side to the street. I don't think they tamped down the soil for the foundation well enough as that corner of the house is sinking. I may need them to pier it in a year or two. Lennar sends an engineer every six months to measure it. Don't know anything about current builds.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,162 times
I have family friends in Allen's Bridgewater Crossing, they are from South Asia and many families from their community bought Lennar homes there. All of them are having foundation issues, those homes were built around 2002-2006.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
I have family friends in Allen's Bridgewater Crossing, they are from South Asia and many families from their community bought Lennar homes there. All of them are having foundation issues, those homes were built around 2002-2006.
Thanks GripeWater. Have you heard any complaints on recently built homes? Is there a way to ensure that the foundation is strong while house is being built like getting inspection done on the foundation?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I live in an older and smaller Lennar house and it's fine, except for one part of the foundation. There is a drainage across my backyard then down the side to the street. I don't think they tamped down the soil for the foundation well enough as that corner of the house is sinking. I may need them to pier it in a year or two. Lennar sends an engineer every six months to measure it. Don't know anything about current builds.
Thanks SouthernBellInUtah. I see lot of complaints on foundation, which is worrying me.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoNewHome View Post
Thanks GripeWater. Have you heard any complaints on recently built homes? Is there a way to ensure that the foundation is strong while house is being built like getting inspection done on the foundation?
Get a structural engineer for pre- and post-pour inspection. Scheduling is tricky so you have to stay on top of your construction mgr.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM

193 posts, read 437,613 times
Sorry to say but foundation is the number one complaint. Friends bought a Lennar home two years ago and are having major cracking issues. Agree with frenzyrider - invest in a structural engineer pre and post for peace of mind. I can give you the name of the engineer my friends used in the past. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Flake View Post
Sorry to say but foundation is the number one complaint. Friends bought a Lennar home two years ago and are having major cracking issues. Agree with frenzyrider - invest in a structural engineer pre and post for peace of mind. I can give you the name of the engineer my friends used in the past. Good luck!
Thanks Snow-Flake. Please send me the engineer contact. How good are they in identifying the foundational defects, I mean it is really possible for an engineer to point out the defects during foundation?

I still have time to cancel the contract as I only paid 4K so it is good time for me to take others opinion.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoNewHome View Post
Thanks Snow-Flake. Please send me the engineer contact. How good are they in identifying the foundational defects, I mean it is really possible for an engineer to point out the defects during foundation?

I still have time to cancel the contract as I only paid 4K so it is good time for me to take others opinion.
They can ensure the foundation is prepped properly and after pour lay is good by measuring and watching for consistency. Some cracking (<1/8 inch) is quite common in the first year or so. They are called shrinkage cracks I.e. the surface concrete dries earlier than the underneath layer. However, the other forms for cracking such as vertical lift and shrinkage >1/2 inch is not normal. The tell tale signs of a normal shrinkage crack is a meandering or wandering crack that usually originates at corner or near a load bearing concrete. I am not a structural engineer but my point is dont get stressed on seeing any crack. Shrinkage cracks are normal and guaranteed to occur in concrete. Just observe in malls, stores, pavements, etc.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,162 times
The Option Period: Texas Real Estate Explained

If you want to back out then it's better to do it within your Option Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas