Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

Not any more:

Plano faces $100M budget shortfall over next 3 years, projections show

Outlook raises specter of service cuts, boosts in property taxes, fees

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/plano/stories/DN-plfinances_27cco.ART.West.Edition1.1601176.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Probably because they actually spend money on city services for their citizens, unlike Dallas.
Think again:
Plano eliminating 50 vacant positions to ease budget woes | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/070808dnmetplanocouncil.3108ab58.html - broken link)

The city of Plano plans to eliminate 50 vacant positions to help close a projected budget shortfall, city officials said today.

Administrators say the cuts, which involve cutting 43 full-time jobs and 7 part-time positions, could save the city as much as $3.1 million annually.

Those cuts include trimming from police and fire services. At a special session this evening, the Plano City Council is expected to approve the elimination of 11 police officers and six firefighters. Cutting civil service positions, like in the police and fire departments, requires council action.

None of the positions being cut are currently filled, and city officials stressed that citizens will witness no immediate impact in services.

Still, the cuts mark the latest dark cloud for a city that, like many communities in the area, is being squeezed by high fuel costs, a rough housing market and other forces.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Think again:
Plano eliminating 50 vacant positions to ease budget woes | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/070808dnmetplanocouncil.3108ab58.html - broken link)
OK, I will think again. Wait for it....

Yep, same thought as before. Plano is facing a budget shortfall because it spends a YOOGE amount of money on city services. Since property values aren't increasing, neither are property tax revenues. I don't think that's a problem unique to Plano.

The resources available through the City of Plano are over-the-top ridiculous. The can cut 20% off their services and still run circles around what Dallas can offer its citizens.

And the city isn't "broke". It will, in future years, need to cut services or increase revenue through taxes and/or fees. Here's a news flash - so will your beloved Dallas. Difference is, the folks on the Plano city council don't have their heads in the sand about it.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
For what it's worth:

>>If you'd like to build a nest egg with your paycheck, it may be time to give up New York and head for Plano, Texas.A survey by pay experts at Salary.com evaluated 69 cities with more than 250,000 people and ranked the Big Apple last. Plano came in first among American cities in which to build personal wealth.

New York is worst city to build wealth - survey: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link) <<

Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
I've always loved West Plano. It gets addicting driving through beautifully built neighborhoods with quite a few palm trees and expensive homes. You've got nice cul-de-sacs and ample park space. You could say they've got a lot going for it. Too bad I can't afford it. But do go see this place if you aren't from around here.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
What public services does Plano have that Dallas doesn't?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
OK, I will think again. Wait for it....

Yep, same thought as before. Plano is facing a budget shortfall because it spends a YOOGE amount of money on city services. Since property values aren't increasing, neither are property tax revenues. I don't think that's a problem unique to Plano.

The resources available through the City of Plano are over-the-top ridiculous. The can cut 20% off their services and still run circles around what Dallas can offer its citizens.

And the city isn't "broke". It will, in future years, need to cut services or increase revenue through taxes and/or fees. Here's a news flash - so will your beloved Dallas. Difference is, the folks on the Plano city council don't have their heads in the sand about it.
Exactly... +1 rep

Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Oh, I don't know; perhaps streets that don't break your car, and code enforcement that actually performs might be starters...

A city council that's not in constant turmoil might be another thought. I don't think the question is necessarilly WHAT they have, but how well what they have WORKS.

And for those who latch onto the latest headlines as if they are really worth the paper they're written on: just as others have said - every other city is also going to feel the effects of a weaker economy as well. And cutting currently vacant positions isn't going to have a profound immediate effect on anyone, given the extremely high level of service Plano is already offering. And that isn't just compared to Dallas, but most all of the suburbs as well, especially the first ring ones.

It's amazing to see the straws that are grasped to bash Plano on this forum.

Last edited by tycobb2522; 07-09-2008 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have friends who give parties in W. Plano and I am up there a few times a year. One of my favorite things to do is find someone new and somehow mention Fair Park. Usually I will get some sort of negative reaction. It is then I spring my trap - "Well, I live right next to it."

I have so much fun with that!
Sounds like a lot of fun; what a hilarious gag! Bet THAT'S a lively party...

Sorry for the multiple posts - just got back from a long weekend. And I promised I'd hold my tongue, or bite my lip, or whatever...

Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
A city Council that is not a laughing stock.

Fully staffed police department that shows up in 30 seconds.

Flowers on the roadside.

Roads with no potholes.

Code Enforcement.

Planning process that takes weeks not years.

Lots of youth sports facilities.

Well-funded schools.

And no trolls live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas