Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to move into the DFW area for work. I'm currently looking for a single room apartment/studio for around a 1000 per month or less. I'm a CDL holder so I want to be in a relatively safe area because I can be gone for 3 to 5 weeks at a time. My current job has a terminal in Lancaster, and I'd like to be less then an hour drive but would be willing to go up to an hour and a half.

I was reading some reviews and found a couple places and wanted to know if they where a good fit. The first place is The Village Dallas, located at 8310 Southwestern blvd. This seems like its a good place based off review, but wanted some insight. The next place is Vue Live Oak apartments at 1333 n. Peak st, the price is slightly over budget but it's still doable.

If you have any reccomenedations please give them. Again looking for something around 1000, and that's in a safe area since I'll be gone for extended periods of time. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Hi there. Can we have info on where you're from and other status, such as what interests you have, etc?
The area in East Dallas on Peak St is kind of hipster- recently/currently being gentrified, hence over budget. The Village was hipster like 30 years ago so that's why it is now affordable! The Village is a better location as far as quick access to a lot of what Dallas has to offer- very centrally located. That said, further from your terminal location as you are aware.
Safe? I'd have to know what is your definition of safe, I guess. It is not South Chicago, nor is it under the bridge at Baltimore Harbor, but it is a big city, with big city "stuff" going on all the time.
Suburban may be slightly safer, such as maybe Mesquite to get to Lancaster- not too bad. South suburbs such as DeSoto are good. The thing is about the south suburbs is that there is not much racial variety, so again, depends on what you are seeking.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Look at South Arlington. It is close to Lancaster and are mostly safe, and will be in your budget, too. Mesquite south of highway 80 is not really a safe area, especially in apartment complexes. Village is good, but it's going to be a long commute to Lancaster.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,513 times
Yeah I'm from a Chicago suburb, about 30 mins west. I'm looking for an area where I can feel safe that my car or apartment won't get broken into. For now I'm just going to be looking for a temporary housing for about 2 to 3 years until I can buy something. The reason I'm relocating is for better opportunities.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
The Village is generally safe but not known for being hipster. There are some older complexes in The Village. However, you must be cautious about The Village, because The Village has planned redevelopment. The current stage of redevelopment is redeveloping the main athletic club/community center area, and that redevelopment is not slated to complete until 2020. That redevelopment wiped out a fantastic central swimming pool that a lot of Dallas residents knew about for its infamous pool parties, 12 tennis courts, and a central gym, which is still in place but moved to a different temporary location during redevelopment. The Village will probably be better in 2020 when the current redevelopment phase is done, but I'm not sure that you'd be all that excited about waiting out redevelopment. While it is impossible to know anything for certain, one would guess that once the main athletic club/community center is redeveloped in 2020, part of that redevelopment plan will involve tearing down and rebuilding the older complexes, and the older complexes are the ones at the price point you want. The potential would exist that you would get forced out of your residence for redevelopment in the future. The Village's newer complexes, built in the last ~20 years, are out of your price range.

The other downside about The Village is that it's not within walking distance of bars/nightlife, which has the potential to have downside for many people. The Village is one of many hubs for younger singles/unmarried couples in Dallas (think 20s/30s), it isn't the only hub. It could be argued Uptown's rise in the late 1990s-early 2010s really took a lot of the luster away from The Village, but now even Uptown is in a decline phase.

The Village is not close to Lancaster, but since you are not regularly commuting to Lancaster, you could be ok. Your needs in a place are generally limited. so an older Village complex could be ok in the short run just because you wouldn't be needing a massive amount of amenities.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:16 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Hi there. Can we have info on where you're from and other status, such as what interests you have, etc?
The area in East Dallas on Peak St is kind of hipster- recently/currently being gentrified, hence over budget. The Village was hipster like 30 years ago so that's why it is now affordable! The Village is a better location as far as quick access to a lot of what Dallas has to offer- very centrally located. That said, further from your terminal location as you are aware.
Safe? I'd have to know what is your definition of safe, I guess. It is not South Chicago, nor is it under the bridge at Baltimore Harbor, but it is a big city, with big city "stuff" going on all the time.
Suburban may be slightly safer, such as maybe Mesquite to get to Lancaster- not too bad. South suburbs such as DeSoto are good. The thing is about the south suburbs is that there is not much racial variety, so again, depends on what you are seeking.
I agree with this, especially the part about the southern suburbs. The OP has a lot of options and it really comes down to personal preferences and where you feel most comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas