Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,704 times

Advertisements

I am relocated to the Plano area from San Antonio this summer. My youngest will be starting kindergarten. I've been looking at the schools and while most elementary and middle schools are rated (greatschools.com) pretty good, some of the High Schools are rated pretty low (i.e. Vines HS and Clark HS). Anyone have insight into this? I don't understand how the quality of school could drop that low for only two grades! Once 11-12th grade comes along, the school rating is back up to a 8-10! Thanks in advance all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,253,494 times
Those schools are in areas where the homes and families are less affluent than the majority of Plano is (Vines more so than Clark.) Been that way since as long as I can remember. Plano ISD is still an overall great district, but the top teachers if given a choice would rather take teaching jobs at Shepton or Jasper for example. The Senior high schools as you noted the ratings go back up, as those schools pull kids from a wider area.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:20 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,869,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Those schools are in areas where the homes and families are less affluent than the majority of Plano is (Vines more so than Clark.) Been that way since as long as I can remember. Plano ISD is still an overall great district, but the top teachers if given a choice would rather take teaching jobs at Shepton or Jasper for example. The Senior high schools as you noted the ratings go back up, as those schools pull kids from a wider area.
Actually, Plano Senior High only draws from Vines and Clark High Schools. I don't know the answer as to why the lower ratings though.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM

788 posts, read 1,226,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbisenberg View Post
I am relocated to the Plano area from San Antonio this summer. My youngest will be starting kindergarten. I've been looking at the schools and while most elementary and middle schools are rated (greatschools.com) pretty good, some of the High Schools are rated pretty low (i.e. Vines HS and Clark HS). Anyone have insight into this? I don't understand how the quality of school could drop that low for only two grades! Once 11-12th grade comes along, the school rating is back up to a 8-10! Thanks in advance all!
I would look at other metrics outside of just the GreatSchools ranking, as those can be misleading sometimes. It's kind of akin to using a Zillow estimate and assuming that's fact on what your home will sell for.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,419,600 times
Quote:
Those schools are in areas where the homes and families are less affluent than the majority of Plano is (Vines more so than Clark.)
Not really, at least not according to any income metrics I've ever found. The real difference is that there are way fewer high performing Asians and Indians in that area. Whites perform similarly across Plano ISD, ie: the number of high performing whites is way below Asians at West, Central, and East, at least in terms of NMSF scholars, high SAT performers, etc. The income demographics of most zip codes in Central are great, maybe below west but still mostly very high. The number of eco disadvantaged is clustered, but below East, which also has more Asians so it outperforms Plano Senior High.

Use this site to compare: Shepton feeding to West is similar demographically to Vines. Vines' demographics are better than Clark. Neither compares to Jasper.

https://schools.texastribune.org/dis...s-high-school/

Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,405,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Those schools are in areas where the homes and families are less affluent than the majority of Plano is (Vines more so than Clark.) .
This.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM

313 posts, read 369,371 times
Hear that Jasper is tougher than the Sr Highs are. It prepares you well but your GPA may suffer.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 AM

468 posts, read 477,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbisenberg View Post
It's very simple. Greatschools does not account for Plano's 9-10th grade HS system. Therefore you have to go based on the 11-12th grade Sr HS's.

Actually, many of the 9-10 schools like Jasper and Clark are more competitive than West and Plano Sr. because many of their very top students go to TAMS starting 11th grade. So, many of those supersmart National merits at Tams went to PISD until 10th grade.

PISD grade tier system is extremely rare although incredibly effective. I think every daughter's parents should welcome such a separation of HS grade system. I have seen too many negative effects on young girls of having too many older boys around.

Both Vines and Clark are excellent schools with great teachers. And many of the elemantary and middle schools have incredible track records. Many science, math and academic awards won every year throughout PISD in west, central and east cluster too. Same goes for their fine teachers winning awards also.

Last edited by Peter5457; 02-07-2019 at 12:11 AM..

Old 02-07-2019, 08:49 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,184,674 times
1. All ratings by school ranking websites need to be taken with grain++++ of salt.

2. All of these schools are good and provide Plano ISD’s standards, some differences are due to higher income/education/motivation/stability of families. Just like other things good academics are result of a snowball effect of peer group, big percentage of driven peers are like social influencers, working hard and aiming for higher education at good colleges becomes a culture and cool trend..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas