Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 12:15 PM

61 posts, read 84,135 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking for suggestions to buy home not too far/easy commute from DFW airport as I need to travel every week and will need use the DFW airport (IT consultant).

Which communities/neighborhood I should check ?

My budget is around 500K preferably new home but if not new then at least built in last 6-8 years (not older than that). I like to be in safe area with good schools (2 school going kids) and not too far from shopping/dinning etc.

I was in DFW area a couple months back and looked at "Parkside" communities close to DFW airport where new homes are being built. I did not like the area as I did not see any shopping, parks, grocery store, dinning anywhere near that area.. It actually felt a bit weird to me and would not spend more than 500K to live in such area.

I am also considering Frisco, McKinney etc as a second choice which are far north and commute to airport could be a biggest downside..So, If I can get something closer to airport, I would like to look at the those communities/neighborhoods.

Any other suggestions apart from Parkside or Stone gate?

Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 12:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
My advice is to realize that something on your wish list has to give.

You can live in Grapevine, Flower Mound, Coppell, Keller, Southlake (pricey), North Richland Hills feeding into Keller schools, or Colleyville and have a good commute to the airport.

But you won't get a ***newer build***, have parks/greenery, close in, great schools, and be $500K or under.

If you want $500K and under and all those other things, it will most likely be an older home.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:40 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
It's probably going to be easier for you to give up on the age of the house vs. increasing your budget. Grapevine, Euless and Colleyville all have homes in that price range, and many of them have been updated to compete with newer builds. Those three cities are the closest to DFW on the west side. Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is excellent. https://www.gcisd.net/
Grapevine has lots of parks, including "pocket parks" within many neighborhoods, and a beautiful community center. The City just opened a dog park, too. https://gograpevine.com/

You won't find anything new in Southlake for under $500k.

I totally agree with your impressions of Parkside and Stonegate. There are zero amenities close to them, and the rush hour traffic on Belt Line is awful. Plus, 114 is literally right in your back yard. Both communities are so new that resale hasn't really been considered yet.

Remember a commute from Collin County will take much longer, and will also involve using a toll road.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,120 times
https://www.viridiandfw.com/

Old 12-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Do a search here... it’s been discussed many times.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Quote:
I totally agree with your impressions of Parkside and Stonegate. There are zero amenities close to them, and the rush hour traffic on Belt Line is awful. Plus, 114 is literally right in your back yard. Both communities are so new that resale hasn't really been considered yet.
And your kids commute to Coppell schools will suck. You can do better.

Just go for a slightly older home in Coppell, Flower Mound, Grapevine, or the other areas mentioned above. You can find plenty in your price range that has been updated.

There are a few new neighborhoods in these areas that may be in your price range--worth looking, but it will be tight.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Do a search here... it’s been discussed many times.
Ehh... It ticks all the OP’s boxes.

I’m not into suburbia, I dislike Arlington, and I don’t have to live somewhere brand new. However, Viridian is super close to DFW airport, has a ton of new construction with various big builders, decent schools, great nearby parks, and good shopping isn’t too far away.

I’ve read the negative comments about the development and would have agreed before I saw the finished product but I went there this summer and the developer spent big bucks to make it look nice. Great landscaping in the front of the development. The yards are tiny but all landscaped well. No front facing garages which is nice and rare in Tarrant County. There’s also great little parks, and it’s close to Legacy Park which is a great ammenity.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:44 PM

61 posts, read 84,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Ehh... It ticks all the OP’s boxes.

I’m not into suburbia, I dislike Arlington, and I don’t have to live somewhere brand new. However, Viridian is super close to DFW airport, has a ton of new construction with various big builders, decent schools, great nearby parks, and good shopping isn’t too far away.

I’ve read the negative comments about the development and would have agreed before I saw the finished product but I went there this summer and the developer spent big bucks to make it look nice. Great landscaping in the front of the development. The yards are tiny but all landscaped well. No front facing garages which is nice and rare in Tarrant County. There’s also great little parks, and it’s close to Legacy Park which is a great ammenity.

Thanks.. Will include this in my list ...

Old 12-23-2019, 07:52 PM

Just note that it’s across 157 from a huge landfill, and just down the hill from several adult entertainment clubs. When it rains, the garbage trucks turn 157 into a muddy mess. The development is still very new, so it remains to be seen how resale will hold up...

Old 12-23-2019, 11:47 PM

1,185 posts, read 749,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Just note that it’s across 157 from a huge landfill, and just down the hill from several adult entertainment clubs. When it rains, the garbage trucks turn 157 into a muddy mess. The development is still very new, so it remains to be seen how resale will hold up...
When all they care about is new and shiny, just let everything take its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas