Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
...Seems we have this very competitve nature amoungst some when it comes to cheerleaders. It's pretty bad is some areas. As if cheerleading is the only thing and is more important than an education.
Now that's not (completely) true. High School football's more important too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Now that's not (completely) true. High School football's more important too.
I wouldn't know anything about that.......
Too bad the Owls lost after a hard game on Saturday night.

What gets me are the pee-wee cheerleader/drillteam things. OMY!!! Little girls being treated like they are in high school. Sorry but I'm a grown married woman. My child is NOT going to be going to get a manicure and fake tan anytime soon, at least not w/ me paying for it.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
"How do you like living in West Plano? We have friends living in West Plano and they love it. I'm just not convicned that it's the best place for us to be. The schools don't seem to be the best in the state or the Dallas area...Colleyville and Coppell rank much higher. But it would be nice to live near them, since we will be strangers with two young daughters...

Your thoughts on W Plano.....?"

Where are you getting the information saying the schools in Colleyville and Coppell rank much higher ?

I've heard pretty consistently that West Plano has some of the best elementary schools and possibly one of the better Middle and High Schools (Shepton and West Plano High) in the area (and I work with people from all over). I think some of the schools out west in Southlake are more popular, but that has more to do with the awesome football team than it does education.

At some point, your splitting hairs....West Plano has excellent schools ((based on the same TX rating system), as do many other affluent areas in north central Texas. To broaden that statement even further, affluent areas in general across the US are homes to the higher ranking schools.

As for living here, I love it. My wife likes it here as well. In fact, I'm trying to sell her on Frisco just because of the sheer number of kids I see there (more per square inch than anypace I've seen in the US, let alone TX). Plano has alot of kids as well, but for some reason I never see many of them around Willow Bend where I live - hence my interest in Frisco.

The one area in Plano that seems extremely kid friendly is the area around Russell Creek. This area is along Hedgecox and sits between Independence and Coit. Not nearly as upscale looking as the area further to the west, but still a nice close knot kid friendly area nonetheless.

But for me....I still continue to love the area between Parker and Plano Pwy (North and South) and Preston and Midway (East and West). I like the people here, the proximity to the 190 and the Tollway, the schools, the excellent shopping without the chaotic feel of Frisco shopping...and now...the gorgeous Christmas lights that line all the streets/shopping areas. After 2 short months, it feels like home to me here....

Where are your friends located in W Plano ?

Old 12-23-2006, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,670 times
Boy do I need to talk to you. We are moving from Bakersfield Ca. to the area. Scouting trip is end of Feb. moving end of March. What do we need to check out. Trying to decide between Frisco, McKinney, Allen areas. Have three in High School and one in elementary. Want as much bang for the buck as possible. Need safe, best air quality possible,good schools and friendly town. Kids are nervous so any help would be great. Working out of McKinney, Prosper and Little Elm. Any help, from anyone would be great.
Thanx

Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM

"Working out of McKinney, Prosper and Little Elm. Any help, from anyone would be great."

I'd say Stonebridge Ranch is the best fit....it's a nice area.

However, it looks like a town where teens could get in trouble because there isn't much to do out there.

Frisco, same thing.....sprawling burbs, not much else.

Personally, if I had teens, I'd live in Plano/Allen, closer to the city.

This is coming from someone whose parents uprooted him from Washington D.C to the middle of nowhere in MD when he was 15. It was not a good experience for me at all and I got into alot more trouble out in the country than I would have in the city.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:12 PM

70 posts, read 437,838 times
They used to live in Willow Bend...now they live on Terrace View Lane. I've never been to TX...I can't wait to see it. I just want a nice area with kids...as you described. I have two young daughters. But, we don't want an HOA...want to stay far away from that. We want to spend around 300k, with a pool.

I really have no idea where to go...we'll probably wind up in Plano...which is where we've heard so much about. Allen and Frisco are considerations as well...we'll have to see about the traffic. We live on Long Island now and the traffic is insane...way too congested here..I'd like to see what congestion is there in TX...

Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:11 PM

I know exactly where that is.....Shepards Glen.

I like that area myself - central to everything (i.e. shopping, Tollway, 190, Elementary School). I live right down the street on La Ventura on the other side of Park. While my side is more hooty-tooty looking (recall that I live in an apartment though, not in the million dollar homes :-), I like Shepards Glen better for where I am at this point in my life. It's the most pratical/family friendly nieghborhood in Willow Bend. There is also a nice little park down the street next to Huffman Elementary. The Middle and High Schools map to the better of each in Plano.

Check it out....

Go to (broken link), click the little map link over on the left side of the page towards the bottom.

Type in the address you gave me....

Take a look at the homes around where they are.

[url]

Mom - I know your Mom's office is over here......what are her thoughts on this area ? Especially Huffman Elem. I've heard that Huffman was the best school in Plano at one point in time, but then started bussing new kids in from the South, went downhill - but then canned the Pricipal and started over recently.

Last edited by Yac; 12-24-2006 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: realtor links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: