Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:49 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
The decision is apples and oranges. It's hard for me to imagine someone applying to both and not having a clear preference based on the student's own personality and goals. Most things I'd list as a pro or con could easily be perceived as the alternative by someone looking for something different. The only thing I will say as a con for JCP is that it is still largely living in the "boys will be boys" state of the world that no longer exists and I think they're doing their students a disservice - there is no comparable situation happening at GH that I am aware of. If boys don't learn there are serious consequences for serious wrongdoing in high school, they will potentially learn it when the stakes are far higher. I'm not going to elaborate further on a public forum but I used to think Jesuit could be a great place for my son (he's young, so this is longer term thinking) but I'm no longer sure about that.
And I could tell you a couple of stories, actually I can think of four, two of which were exceptionally serious, about Greenhill and students that would curl your toes. Every school that's been around a while has ghosts in the closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 05:22 PM

149 posts, read 146,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
The decision is apples and oranges. It's hard for me to imagine someone applying to both and not having a clear preference based on the student's own personality and goals. Most things I'd list as a pro or con could easily be perceived as the alternative by someone looking for something different. The only thing I will say as a con for JCP is that it is still largely living in the "boys will be boys" state of the world that no longer exists and I think they're doing their students a disservice - there is no comparable situation happening at GH that I am aware of. If boys don't learn there are serious consequences for serious wrongdoing in high school, they will potentially learn it when the stakes are far higher. I'm not going to elaborate further on a public forum but I used to think Jesuit could be a great place for my son (he's young, so this is longer term thinking) but I'm no longer sure about that.
There was that story a couple of years ago which definitely doesn't do your school any favors when one of your grads is caught leading a lynching song

Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkroyal2223 View Post
There was that story a couple of years ago which definitely doesn't do your school any favors when one of your grads is caught leading a lynching song
This is a pissing match that will never end. High schools are full of pre-adults doing myriad dumb things. All of the high schools. Every. One.

As the mom of 2 kids at an all-boys school currently who had them at a coed school previously, there are substantive differences and I'm not happy with some of them tbh. I wish they had more girls competing with them academically and working with them on extracurriculars. But the school does provide a safe haven from the boy-girl drama and that is pretty nice.

You just have to make a pick, I think you have gotten some good info here on the broad cultures of the schools, the rest depends on what your kid wants and needs.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 AM

51 posts, read 91,095 times
Thanks all for the feedback. Scary to hear some of it.

@numbersguy I agree that two schools have completely different approach.

Our thought process behind applying to those two schools is one good academics.

We are very liberal and secular in our thought process and practice at home.

But not against having our kid have a bit of exposure to religion as long as it preaches good morals and empathy for others. We are not Catholics not even Christians for that matter. But from the little interaction I have had with Jesuit, I got a feel that teaching religion also comes with showing the importance of tolerance as per their mission statement.

There is no one path to success. There is something to learn from both.

@EDS_ thanks again for feedback. I read a lot of your posts and gain valuable insights.

"So far as schools promoting critical thinking and intellectual curiosity.................what really tough high school is not going to do both along the natural course of teaching?"

Critical thinking may be yes, But for intellectual curiosity: I think depends on the kid, some of it can be fostered at home. But lot of it also comes from teaching environment and good teachers and peers. I have not seen that in our highly rated public schools. His days are filled with busy work. Hence our interest in Private education.

Greenhill had shadow days. But Jesuit didn't. May be we can see if our kid can shadow one day next week. But for now he is leaning towards Greenhill.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 AM

50 posts, read 91,645 times
I am not familiar with JCP but have compared St. Marks, Hockaday, Greenhill in relation to college acceptance. In all three schools, the admission to most selective schools with acceptance below 20% is similar and based on some unique capability of the student or their background that will come through in any good School - public or private.

The difference really comes in the selective schools with say 20%-40% acceptance rates. This is where St. Marks and Hockaday have great advantage given their reputation and past success in placing students and their performance. So it is the upper mid tier that benefits the most. Here I would think Greenhill > JCP as well again given past placement and general school reputation.

The bottom half goes to schools with high admit rates in any of these schools.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 PM

313 posts, read 368,211 times
Over the last two years, GH has had 18 Natl Merit semifinalists. JCP has had 7.
I have a friend whose kid from JCP who's at U of Georgia.
I have a friend from GH whose kid chose Wash U in STL over Northwestern.

I have a relative who is choosing JPII over JCP due to some scholarship money in year one. $5K I think. Also because it's co-ed. Kid likes Jesuit better because it has a clearly better rep than JPII.

JCP and GH are pretty different schools as already outlined but both provide excellent educations. Try to do the shadow day at JCP to get a better feel for culture at both.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:57 PM

51 posts, read 91,095 times
Thanks all for excellent feedback and different perspectives!

Old 03-17-2019, 12:58 PM

39 posts, read 112,468 times
Someone alluded to this before, but how do you judge which school is better? On SAT scores/college acceptances? Is a school that accepts 15% of hand chosen candidates really better than one that accepts 80% of applicants even if the SAT scores for the latter are 100 points lower?

What really matters is the quality of education and support for the student. And I mean on a day to day basis. That is incredibly hard to figure out, and so people talk about "fit" all the time. You are looking at 2 great schools, but the SAT and the National Merit numbers need to be put in perspective (otherwise they can steer you more wrong than right, a classic case of spurious correlation). Oh- and btw- if a kids has the same SAT score, do you think he has a better shot at a competitive college being middle of the pack at GH, or with a high GPA at Jesuit?

Look for the best fit. Your child will be successful at both, but one will serve him better.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privsch View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. Scary to hear some of it.

@numbersguy I agree that two schools have completely different approach.

Our thought process behind applying to those two schools is one good academics.

We are very liberal and secular in our thought process and practice at home.

But not against having our kid have a bit of exposure to religion as long as it preaches good morals and empathy for others. We are not Catholics not even Christians for that matter. But from the little interaction I have had with Jesuit, I got a feel that teaching religion also comes with showing the importance of tolerance as per their mission statement.

There is no one path to success. There is something to learn from both.

@EDS_ thanks again for feedback. I read a lot of your posts and gain valuable insights.

"So far as schools promoting critical thinking and intellectual curiosity.................what really tough high school is not going to do both along the natural course of teaching?"

Critical thinking may be yes, But for intellectual curiosity: I think depends on the kid, some of it can be fostered at home. But lot of it also comes from teaching environment and good teachers and peers. I have not seen that in our highly rated public schools. His days are filled with busy work. Hence our interest in Private education.

Greenhill had shadow days. But Jesuit didn't. May be we can see if our kid can shadow one day next week. But for now he is leaning towards Greenhill.
If the tuition cost difference and the logistics work for you and your son prefers GH IMO that's where he should go.

Other than the less expensive tuition likely the most important difference between JCP and the others is that the school really does function as a college preparatory school. Relative to all of the others including Ursuline JCP boys perform much less busy work.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privsch View Post
Thanks all for excellent feedback and different perspectives!
I’m surprised this is even a thread. You’re comparing two very different schools and very different high school experiences. I would assume you and /or your son has a strong preference for one over the other. I mean, does he want big school or small school, more athletics or more arts, co-ed or all boys, religious instruction/ influence or not. If your son prefers Greenhill then pick it and don’t look back.

Your son is obviously bright to have received admissions to both schools. He will likely thrive academically in either setting and I doubt that his SAT / college acceptance / career potential will differ that much should he choose one over the other. There are good kids and jackasses at both schools, that’s life. No need to listen to the posters saying “I know a kid who....”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: