Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times

Advertisements

I have an 9 year old LG ref rig / freezer. It has stopped cooling. I am in West Plano, anyone got a repair service to recommend? I use a factory service for my Thermometer and Kitchen Aide appliances but they wont derive LG>.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 12:24 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,917 times
So, some good and bad news for you:

The bad news:

LG has only authorized Callahan's Appliance (https://www.callahansappliance.com/) to repair their fridges. No other appliance repair company can service them.

If your fridge is not cooling, most likely the compressor is out. At 9 years, there's no way LG will honor the warranty. Callahan's quoted me roughly $900 to replace the compressor. I have an LG Fridge with a "Linear Compressor" - you may have an older model with a different design (apparently the Linear Compressors are a pain to replace).

When the Callhan's tech came, he didn't seem to want to investigate any other issue - apparently the compressor is sealed and they cannot replace individual parts, they have to replace the whole thing (who knows if this is actually B.S. - I'm not an expert by any means)

The "good" news:

At $900-$1000, it honestly doesn't make sense to repair a $1500 fridge. I would start looking at new options (they'll be more energy efficient anyway). Nebraska Furniture Mart and Best Buy price match each other - those are your best options.

I would strongly discourage you from buying LG or Samsung. Both of them have only authorized one place to repair their fridges, where as it seems the Frigidaire/Whirlpool/GE's of the world have more repair options.

The above will be REALLY hard - as LG and Samsung are consistently cheaper than the other options - but please keep that in mind in the future. Before you end up making your purchase, google who can repair it if something breaks (good practice for all appliances!)

I am the former owner of an LG fridge, and all this happened with my 2 1/2 year old fridge! So consider yourself lucky you got almost 10 years out of it!

Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
So, some good and bad news for you:

The bad news:

LG has only authorized Callahan's Appliance (https://www.callahansappliance.com/) to repair their fridges. No other appliance repair company can service them.

Uh, wrong.

Plenty of places can service them. Callahan's may be the only place that can actually submit a claim under warranty, but I doubt it. At 9 years old, he doesn't have any warranty left, so any refrigerator repair shop can service it, the cost will be out of pocket regardless.

OP, here's the link, I put in a Plano zip and it gave me several repair center options.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair...epair-provider

I would contact Frisco Appliance Repair as well, we used them on our old LG washing machine before.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Uh, wrong.

Plenty of places can service them. Callahan's may be the only place that can actually submit a claim under warranty, but I doubt it. At 9 years old, he doesn't have any warranty left, so any refrigerator repair shop can service it, the cost will be out of pocket regardless.

OP, here's the link, I put in a Plano zip and it gave me several repair center options.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair...epair-provider

I would contact Frisco Appliance Repair as well, we used them on our old LG washing machine before.
I too, did the same exact search when I tried to get my refrigerator repair. My experience is from 6 months ago. The shops you point to each repair a different LG appliance.

I called 8 different places trying to repair my LG refrigerator.

So before you "uh, wrong" me (which comes off as incredibly rude, btw), please let me know what experience you have repairing and LG refrigerator. I would love to have an alternative option for my other LG fridge, which I have not replaced yet.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the guidance, you saved me a ton of time. I see of the non Korean models Kenmore is highest rated. I know Sears is in financial trouble and shutting stores but that has been the case for a decades or more. Is there a reason you avoided it or just not available with fewer sears stores?

I mispoke, mine is a Samsung not LG. But suspect there is little if any differences in them or so I have heard over the years. This is a 29 cu ft french door unit tht is our secondary refrig. the kitchen as a built in which we have had repaired twice in 9 years living in this home.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks for the guidance, you saved me a ton of time. I see of the non Korean models Kenmore is highest rated. I know Sears is in financial trouble and shutting stores but that has been the case for a decades or more. Is there a reason you avoided it or just not available with fewer sears stores?

I mispoke, mine is a Samsung not LG. But suspect there is little if any differences in them or so I have heard over the years. This is a 29 cu ft french door unit tht is our secondary refrig. the kitchen as a built in which we have had repaired twice in 9 years living in this home.
The authorized Samsung repair company is All City Appliance (Samsung — DFW Appliance Repair)

I would call them up and see how much a new compressor would cost (including installation).

For a SECOND fridge, I might re-consider my stance. Kenmore seems to be repaired by most companies. Sears is in financial trouble, but most likely they would sell the fridge unit to some larger entity - in either case, Kenmore fridges seem to have commodity parts, so even if Kenmore disappeared, I'm sure you could get it serviced in the future.

FWIW, the LG technician that came told me he would never buy an LG fridge - he had a Frigidaire at home.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
I too, did the same exact search when I tried to get my refrigerator repair. My experience is from 6 months ago. The shops you point to each repair a different LG appliance.

LG's own website (the link I posted) gives you the option of putting in what appliance you need repaired, THEN brings up repair options. So you're saying LG lists a bunch of different repair shops that you can't go to?

I don't think so.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LG's own website (the link I posted) gives you the option of putting in what appliance you need repaired, THEN brings up repair options. So you're saying LG lists a bunch of different repair shops that you can't go to?

I don't think so.
YES, the LG website is terrible. It's also showing options for all appliances, not refrigerators. Here's a great example: the #2 option is "AJ Electronics" in Plano. Why don't you google AJ Electronics and see it's status.

I'll give you a hint - it's permanently closed.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Follow up report. Thanks for the recommendation on repair. Its running now for around $250. Main power panel had to be replaced. I used All City appliances and they sent out a great team to fix it promptly. Thanks CD and the posters who helped me again.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 AM

I used All City Appliance Repair for my Samsung Refrig job recently and was very pleased in all ways with them. Today I have a Kitchen Aid Dishwasher which is about 6 years old and not getting power to do anything. I checked the circuit breaker and followed a recommended reset procedure which is a common fix for this symptom. I think it might be the fuse in the DW from looking at you tubes on line. I am not going to try that myself so planning to call All City for this work before I make the call.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: