Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 AM

20 posts, read 47,557 times

Advertisements

I've read lots of posts here on Dallas private schools and yet have some hesitation on which one is right for my child. I have a lovely 3 y.o. girl who is very unique, nice and kind. I've started to look at private schools since it's about time to apply this year for 2020-2021. I have a hard time to decide which schools are gonna be a better fit for her. I am a former teacher from Ukraine and I'm aware of benefits of a good education. I went to a few schools for a tour and since I'm relatively new to American system of education I'll consider any advice on private school. We don't care about religious component( my husband is catholic and I'm christian orthodox) as long as the environment in school is healthy.
I looked at some tier 1 schools like Hockaday and Greenhill, but we are not rich and my concern is whether my daughter could fit in that society and be comfortable? I believe ESD is not on my list. I toured Parish school and it seemed fine but a little pricey. St Rita has a good reputation but didn't feel welcomed from administration( Dallas international looks good, but bilingual education and other concerns still in a place.
Who has an experience of applying to HS or Greenhill? Also any suggestions on other schools if these two won't work?

Thank you

Last edited by texas_bailey; 04-24-2019 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
What price range school are you looking for, knowing you might be making a 14 year commitment? Is location important? What else is important to you? There are dozens of good schools in Dallas, especially in lower grades.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:34 PM

509 posts, read 735,536 times
You should also clarify whether you are looking for a religious school and, if so, what type?

Old 04-24-2019, 03:37 PM

I'm aware of the commitment, but looking for the best for my kids! I also have a little boy( 4 months old), so preferred co-educational, but open to any choices. My husband and I agreed that we can invest in our kids rather than more expensive house with good ISD. As a former teacher I know that in a big class it's hard to keep up with everyone needs and easy to loose interest unless you're consistently occupied and involved in class activities. Location is not important for us, but I want to make sure if I choose to pay for the private school, I pay for education, knowledge that it provides, not just a name! There are a lot of schools, but paying 6k a month for both kids, they are better be exceptional.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Any religious school is fine, the most important part for me is education and general atmosphere in school. Jesus is important of course, but I'd like school to help me grow well rounded kids.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 PM

21 posts, read 28,937 times
Dobryj den! I am a Ukrainian American. My grandparents all came over to the United States separately as teenagers and met each other here. In my opinion, the academically exceptional private schools in Dallas are St. Marks (grades 1-12) and Cistercian (grades 5-12) for boys, Hockaday (preK-12) for girls, and Greenhill (preK-12) for both. We have a lot of experience applying to these schools. All 4 schools are very difficult to get into, and if your child gets into one of these, and there is any way you can afford it, I feel that all four are worth it for the quality of the education you are giving your child.

Because they are private and expensive, most but not all of the families are fairly wealthy at all of these schools. The social culture of each school is different, and each child and their family are a better fit at some schools more than others.

The families at Greenhill are very culturally diverse. My children at Greenhill have friends who’s parents were born in Germany, Poland, Vietnam, Korea, India, United Arab Emirates, etc... As a foreign born parent, I think you would probably be very comfortable at Greenhill. The social culture at Greenhill is very liberal.

Parish is also a good school, and their Head of School Dave Monaco is very hard working and very motivated to grow and strengthen the quality of the school. The upper school division is fairly young, therefore it has not developed the long standing academic reputation of the other schools I mentioned, but it is well on its way. Parish has a creative and forward thinking school culture, and by the time your young children are in high school, Parish may be considered as an academic equal to schools like St. Marks and Hockaday. That is definitely the direction they are going.

ESD has a long standing reputation as a good academic school. They are just completing a new, beautiful lower school on the upper school campus. We have heard good things through our friends who’s children attend ESD. I would say the school is a little more traditional and socially conservative compared to St. Marks, Hockaday and Parish, and definitely moreso compared to Greenhill.

Several of the Catholic grade schools are very good, these include Christ the King, St. Rita’s, and St. Monica’s. Most children who attend these schools through 8th grade go to high school at Jesuit (boys), Ursuline (girls), or Bishop Lynch (co-Ed). The Catholic schools are significantly cheaper than the above-listed private schools, and you could send your children to one of these through 8th grade and then apply to Hockaday, Greenhill etc for 9th grade. My impression is that Christ the King is a little better academically than the other two, but that is just my subjective impression. These Catholic schools are a great pipeline to Cistercian for your son. I would be thrilled to have a son attend Cistercian. Jesuit and Ursuline are also good academic schools.

Other young Child schools include da Vinci which is an excellent preschool for ages 2-6, many of their students go on to the above-mentioned private schools. Lamplighter is a very well thought of school for ages 3-fourth grade. Most of their students move on to St Marks, Hockaday, Greenhill, ESD and Parish for fifth grade. Alcuin is a Montessori based school that some people like.

Please PM me if you would like to talk with me further. Do pobachen’a!

Old 04-24-2019, 04:35 PM

96 posts, read 150,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_bailey View Post
I've read lots of posts here on Dallas private schools and yet have some hesitation on which one is right for my child. I have a lovely 3 y.o. girl who is very unique, nice and kind. I've started to look at private schools since it's about time to apply this year for 2020-2021. I have a hard time to decide which schools are gonna be a better fit for her. I am a former teacher from Ukraine and I'm aware of benefits of a good education. I went to a few schools for a tour and since I'm relatively new to American system of education I'll consider any advice on private school. We don't care about religious component( my husband is catholic and I'm christian orthodox) as long as the environment in school is healthy.
I looked at some tier 1 schools like Hockaday and Greenhill, but we are not rich and my concern is whether my daughter could fit in that society and be comfortable? I believe ESD is not on my list. I toured Parish school and it seemed fine but a little pricey. St Rita has a good reputation but didn't feel welcomed from administration( Dallas international looks good, but bilingual education and other concerns still in a place.
Who has an experience of applying to HS or Greenhill? Also any suggestions on other schools if these two won't work?

Thank you
There are plenty kids at the 2 schools you mentioned who get financial aid (roughly 20%). There are obviously rich/snobby people every where no matter what school you’re at. It maybe a but more pervasive at upper tier schools but the majority of parents are down to earth and relatively normal I would say. Don’t think your daughter would have trouble fitting in as she’ll Find her crowd. If you’re interested I would not be deterred from applying and checking out the schools for yourself so you get a better feel. Best of luck

Old 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I suggest you also go ahead and apply to North Hills Academy. It is a highly respected charter school with a many, many applicants for each school year. Admission for new elementary students is a lottery system and chances of getting in are remote. But, like all lotteries, there are some winners. Best thing, if a student gets in the chances are very likely siblings will also be admitted. There is no tuition to attend North Hills, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by applying.

https://www.uplifteducation.org/upliftnorthhills

Old 04-24-2019, 05:48 PM

I'm not so sure about this type of school. As you said that acceptance is a lottery, kids entering this school might be struggling academically

Old 04-24-2019, 05:59 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_bailey View Post
I'm not so sure about this type of school. As you said that acceptance is a lottery, kids entering this school might be struggling academically
That’s not the case. Children who can’t stay on academic track are not allowed to return. Its an extremely high performing school. One of the best schools in the State.

https://www.greatschools.org/texas/d...th-Hills-Prep/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: