Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 AM

28 posts, read 31,856 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been looking for a new house(I don't want to build, I'm looking for a spec home) in Frisco(zip code 75035). In fact, I kind of knew to the area where I live in right now because I've been renting a house for almost 2 years. Nevertheless, I'm kind of new to Texas and not familiar to house builders so I'd like to get some info and insight from you guys.

As you might know, Frisco ISD is divided into very limited school zones so I don't have many options if I don't want to move my son to a new high school. The available options are like this: Edgewood(Normandy homes), Emory Park(M/I homes), Preston Hutson Addition(Megatel homes). There are other relatively new houses like Richwoods, Lawler Park and Cypress Creek as well. The latter is a little bit above my budget and 3-6 years old.

Anybody who is familiar to this area can give me some advice? I kind of like Edgewood because they're quite big and have some good amenities(bike/hike trails, a pool, etc). I can afford Normandy but my concern is, since the other builders are much more expensive(Toll Brothers, Southgate, Meritage), I'm kind of worried that I might feel uncomfortable when I move in(you understand what I mean).

For Emory Park, the houses and prices are decent and reasonable, but the small neighborhood.

For Preston Hutson Addition, it's small neighborhood too and I'm not sure if the location(Preston & Main) would be great. For price wise, Emory Park & Preston Hutson Addition have advantage. They reduced like 80k from the original price.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 AM

559 posts, read 936,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude_august View Post
Hello all,

I've been looking for a new house(I don't want to build, I'm looking for a spec home) in Frisco(zip code 75035). In fact, I kind of knew to the area where I live in right now because I've been renting a house for almost 2 years. Nevertheless, I'm kind of new to Texas and not familiar to house builders so I'd like to get some info and insight from you guys.

As you might know, Frisco ISD is divided into very limited school zones so I don't have many options if I don't want to move my son to a new high school. The available options are like this: Edgewood(Normandy homes), Emory Park(M/I homes), Preston Hutson Addition(Megatel homes). There are other relatively new houses like Richwoods, Lawler Park and Cypress Creek as well. The latter is a little bit above my budget and 3-6 years old.

Anybody who is familiar to this area can give me some advice? I kind of like Edgewood because they're quite big and have some good amenities(bike/hike trails, a pool, etc). I can afford Normandy but my concern is, since the other builders are much more expensive(Toll Brothers, Southgate, Meritage), I'm kind of worried that I might feel uncomfortable when I move in(you understand what I mean).

For Emory Park, the houses and prices are decent and reasonable, but the small neighborhood.

For Preston Hutson Addition, it's small neighborhood too and I'm not sure if the location(Preston & Main) would be great. For price wise, Emory Park & Preston Hutson Addition have advantage. They reduced like 80k from the original price.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Have you looked at Estates at Shaddock Park community? It's on Main and Independence in Frisco. Normandy sells there as well. I feel that lot size for Normandy homes in Edgewood is too small IMO. I agree that you may feel yourself in silo living next to all super expensive homes. I live in 75035 vicinity as well. I already own a home and taking steps slowly to buy a larger sized home around 4000+ sq ft.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
For Preston Hutson Addition, it's small neighborhood too and I'm not sure if the location(Preston & Main) would be great.
I live in Frisco and this is a weird/undesirable location. I would pass on this neighborhood.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Have you looked at Estates at Shaddock Park community? It's on Main and Independence in Frisco. Normandy sells there as well. I feel that lot size for Normandy homes in Edgewood is too small IMO. I agree that you may feel yourself in silo living next to all super expensive homes. I live in 75035 vicinity as well. I already own a home and taking steps slowly to buy a larger sized home around 4000+ sq ft.
Thanks for your info and I'm very glad to have someone who actually knows this area well.

Yes, I already checked Estates at Shaddock Park but I gave up immediately because my son would move school if we chose it. I think that is also great community.

I don't mind the lot size of Normandy Edgewood since my family is not that into back yard stuff. )) I prefer low maintenance home but I keep thinking that I might feel uncomfortable if my house is surrounded by more expensive homes. I wouldn't say super expensive, but...I'm not very sure. I love Edgewood most among 3 because of its amenities and location, etc.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I live in Frisco and this is a weird/undesirable location. I would pass on this neighborhood.
Thank you for your advice. I'm glad to confirm that my gut feeling is correct. I thought that the location is funny. Maybe that's why they are giving huge discount.

What about Emory Park? A realtor says its location is great but the builder is just ok.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your info and I'm very glad to have someone who actually knows this area well.

Yes, I already checked Estates at Shaddock Park but I gave up immediately because my son would move school if we chose it. I think that is also great community.

I don't mind the lot size of Normandy Edgewood since my family is not that into back yard stuff. )) I prefer low maintenance home but I keep thinking that I might feel uncomfortable if my house is surrounded by more expensive homes. I wouldn't say super expensive, but...I'm not very sure. I love Edgewood most among 3 because of its amenities and location, etc.
Sure. I moved to this area back in 2014 when Lexington, Estates at Shaddock Park, Edgewood and The Groove were all green fields. I would personally feel that homes in Frisco are all made with a decent size yard (I personally would not consider anything less than 60 x 110 ft size lot), so building a new home with smaller lot size at a higher price point will be a challenge from resale point of view. Either way sellers market is in the rear view for Frisco and prices continue to be in downward trajectory so you should get some good deal.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Sure. I moved to this area back in 2014 when Lexington, Estates at Shaddock Park, Edgewood and The Groove were all green fields. I would personally feel that homes in Frisco are all made with a decent size yard (I personally would not consider anything less than 60 x 110 ft size lot), so building a new home with smaller lot size at a higher price point will be a challenge from resale point of view. Either way sellers market is in the rear view for Frisco and prices continue to be in downward trajectory so you should get some good deal.
Good point. I didn't consider the lot size from the resale point of view. As you said, Normandy homes have some good deal(below 450k for more than 3,000sqft) even though the lot is rather small.

What is your opinion of Emory Park? The lot is much bigger but the neighborhood is small. The neighborhood is actually kind of connected with the older part of the other neighborhood such as Preston Lakes, so it doesn't feel isolated though.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Good point. I didn't consider the lot size from the resale point of view. As you said, Normandy homes have some good deal(below 450k for more than 3,000sqft) even though the lot is rather small.

What is your opinion of Emory Park? The lot is much bigger but the neighborhood is small. The neighborhood is actually kind of connected with the older part of the other neighborhood such as Preston Lakes, so it doesn't feel isolated though.
I would not consider Emory Park either. Instead I would find a special lot in Edgewood which is larger than other lots and pay the premium. But that's my way of thinking. I would avoid Emory because of the community size and amenities. They are building there for at least 2 years now (according to my observation) but still not able to sell out such a small number of lots so it says something.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I would not consider Emory Park either. Instead I would find a special lot in Edgewood which is larger than other lots and pay the premium. But that's my way of thinking. I would avoid Emory because of the community size and amenities. They are building there for at least 2 years now (according to my observation) but still not able to sell out such a small number of lots so it says something.
What you said is exactly what makes me concerned. I think that the houses are not bad at all but always wonder why they haven't been selling out so far.

I appreciate your advice. Maybe I have some kind of fear of building a new home because it causes me a lot of choosing process. That's why I tend to stick to spec homes with smaller lots. Since my options are limited, I kind of lean towards Edgewood. Once it is complete, I believe it'll be great.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
What you said is exactly what makes me concerned. I think that the houses are not bad at all but always wonder why they haven't been selling out so far.

I appreciate your advice. Maybe I have some kind of fear of building a new home because it causes me a lot of choosing process. That's why I tend to stick to spec homes with smaller lots. Since my options are limited, I kind of lean towards Edgewood. Once it is complete, I believe it'll be great.
Another reason is that........ M/I is not very popular among south asians which buy in big numbers here in Frisco. Their couple of popular builders are First Texas and Landon. So you may see Lexington, Richwoods, Avondale, Ridgeview at Panther Creek communities sold house so fast in last few years.

I was in exact same dilemma 5 years ago when building a new home (first time home buyer). We asked builder to show us the same floor plan built home (model, spec or someone living) to avoid any doubts in our mind. Most builders were able to show us specific plans we were interested. You may always ask builder for their upgrade pricing sheet and ask questions on things you are interested before signing any contract.

As market has cool down you are in driving seat to negotiate on all sorts of things (base price, upgrades etc). If you like spec home 100% then it's great, otherwise don't discard build your own house idea.

Which school your kid is going to right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas