Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times

Advertisements

How racist is this post? If we replace Indian people with White people, would that be ok? Imagine someone saying, “All white people want to do is drink beer and talk football and pop culture. That’s really crappy” or something similar. How absurd.
No one would say we don’t want to live in a neighborhood where there are a bunch of White people. Or for that matter Black people. Or Gay people. Or whoever. Everyone is different and we automatically drift towards people that are like us. Indians are not part of gangs, don’t go around shooting people, make the schools around the highest rated, go to college and are among the highest tax payers in the US. That doesn’t make them better than you or worse than you, but yes they are different. So, yes please go buy a house somewhere else where more racists live. You will fit right in.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude_august View Post
Just wondering what " The overwhelming self-segregation was insane in Frisco" is. Just out of curiosity. Could you specify a little bit?
You have these new construction neighborhoods that are overwhelmingly SE Asian Indian. Just look at the posts on this forum on the daily - "new construction, indian community" is repeated over and over.

It a culture that does not value any type of diversity.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
LOL, We did the exact same thing several years ago. We're in the area surrounding Beverly Park. Older folks are starting to sell and younger families are buying. Very good mix but not great for Halloween. Great school environment, but not Tiger Mom central.

If I had to do it all over again I would just go straight to the schimelpfenig ms zone and be done
We went with Carpenter, the house was a bit better and I wanted to be a bit closer to PGBT for the airport trips. Carpenter has been great so far, and it's an actually diverse (economically, socially, racially) school that does a great job.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 AM

290 posts, read 369,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
We went with Carpenter, the house was a bit better and I wanted to be a bit closer to PGBT for the airport trips. Carpenter has been great so far, and it's an actually diverse (economically, socially, racially) school that does a great job.
Wouldn’t call Carpenter a great school at least based on test scores. Plus very high percentage of free/reduced lunch recipients. Not that it effects schools in a bad way every time but it frequently does.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
Wouldn’t call Carpenter a great school at least based on test scores. Plus very high percentage of free/reduced lunch recipients. Not that it effects schools in a bad way every time but it frequently does.
Which is exactly why we chose that. Average test scores don’t tell a darn thing about how a child will perform - it’ll only tell you that it’s mostly upper middle class/wealthy.
Test scores don’t tell you a thing about how your child will do when relocating. Being surrounded by actual diversity helps my kids be better people.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 AM

213 posts, read 183,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Which is exactly why we chose that. Average test scores don’t tell a darn thing about how a child will perform - it’ll only tell you that it’s mostly upper middle class/wealthy.
Test scores don’t tell you a thing about how your child will do when relocating. Being surrounded by actual diversity helps my kids be better people.
This is true. Especially so when you have kids that are relocating. We just moved here with our 5 and 3 year olds, and when visiting pre-schools that was the only thing that mattered - how I feel the kids would fit in. Obviously, that is even more important when starting real school. If the kids aren't comfortable they won't be receptive to learning anything.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I hear you. It’s natural and also explains why new immigrants form cliques and live in clusters, they must be tired of adjusting to new life.
Nobody said being an immigrant was easy. I've done it myself, though you'd be surprised how little Americans living abroad really want to socialize with other Americans. Unless they're government workers (at embassies, for example) or are military posted abroad, they don't seem to be very eager to hang out with other Americans. There are no "American neighborhoods" in European cities.

If you get tired of adjusting to life as an immigrant, you usually have the option to return home. India is not war-torn or run by drug cartels, so if Indians here don't like being immigrants they could consider returning home to India.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:27 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkart5 View Post
How racist is this post? If we replace Indian people with White people, would that be ok? Imagine someone saying, “All white people want to do is drink beer and talk football and pop culture. That’s really crappy” or something similar. How absurd.
No one would say we don’t want to live in a neighborhood where there are a bunch of White people. Or for that matter Black people. Or Gay people. Or whoever. Everyone is different and we automatically drift towards people that are like us. Indians are not part of gangs, don’t go around shooting people, make the schools around the highest rated, go to college and are among the highest tax payers in the US. That doesn’t make them better than you or worse than you, but yes they are different. So, yes please go buy a house somewhere else where more racists live. You will fit right in.
Actually, I've said that I don't want to live in a neighborhood that's just full of white people. I'm white and don't hate other white people. I do worry about the welcome my mixed race family receives in a monoracial neighborhood though. We prefer a diverse neighborhood which is where we live now.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:46 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Same here, my wife and I were born in the US never had any Indian friends or lived in such communities. Like you, we were looking for something diverse, but the reality is new home construction communities in Collin Co. are chock full of Indians -- both from India and born in the US.

We moved into a community that was maybe 10% Indian at the time we purchased (early/mid phase of development). In 4 yrs, it's climbed up to 30%-40% Indian. Better than places like Richwoods, but still it's a lot of people in absolute #s with subdivisions that are 500+ homes. Personally, we don't mind it. Our kids are young but everyone is friendly and respectful. It's not like most of these H1's are looking to rock the boat by pissing off ABCDs or others.

The Grove will trend towards the same demo. PCR has its fair share, but it's a very large community so you may not notice as much.

Your best bet is to not go into a new construction home. As others have noted, the older communities in W. Plano are probably what you're looking for.
What are ABCD's? Can anyone explain this acronym?

Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
What are ABCD's? Can anyone explain this acronym?
American
Born
Confused
Desi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas