Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,622,022 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We had really been hoping to move to Fairview. Unfortunately the negative posts on this website as well as the UNofficial lovejoy schools website have scared us off. However, wondering if this is just a handful of naysayers or if there prevalent negative feelings about the schools there. Does anyone on this board have their kids in school there or have friends that do? For a small community, with that vocal of a bunch, maybe we should RUN. However, so hard to tell. I am thinking the smaller school might be just what I am looking for.....but ?????

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM

105 posts, read 338,535 times
I'd also like to know. I thought I'd found the perfect fit with a small town and good schools! Reading that forum just sounded like a free-for-all b!tc# session by one or 2 people.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM

583 posts, read 2,634,330 times
We have friends in the school system and friends BUYING in the school system. We still hear only positive. If a house would have been available last year during our home search we would have considered it. There are ALWAYS going to be a 'local' bunch of talkers/slammers in ANY public school system. Some just have bigger mouths! ;-)

Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I don't put much stock into many of those sites. Most people that are happy are not going to take the time to sit down and write about it. So yes, probably is "a free-for-all b!tc# session by one or 2 people". Haven't read it myself.

My daughter has friends from church in the Lovejoy ISD and they all seem to like it. These would be middle school aged kids. Guess they all like it so much my child thinks she wants us to move so she can go there. Not gonna happen though. Still LOVE the area and if she wasn't in the program she is here in the GISD I'd consider it.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 04-15-2008 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM

86 posts, read 402,085 times
We recently moved to Texas and my children are enrolled in Lovejoy Schools. We have been here for a few months now and so far are very happy. I also read the website you are referring about and was quite nervous about all the negative comments. I agree I feel its a small minority that feels that way.

So far I have heard nothing but good. Teachers are great and my kids
are adjusting in just fine. I love being in a "small" school system and not
just being a number. We just love the area too nice country feel and
larger lots yet just 10mins away from shopping and restaurants.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 AM

39 posts, read 169,892 times
I have one child at Lovejoy Elementary and one starting next year.

I posted a bunch of information about Lovejoy and the surrounding area in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...7-lovejoy.html

There seems to be three main complaints at the naysayer website.
1. LISD is bad for kids with learning disabilities;
2. LISD made a bunch of promises regarding separating from the Allen
school district that were not kept; and
3. The Middle School and High School Curriculum only offers Pre-AP and AP
classes.

I have no personal experience with any of these areas since My kids do not have learning disabilities are only in Elementary school and I moved here after the consolidation vote.

However, there have been some posts even on the naysayer website from people with kids with learning disabilities saying they have had a good experience with Lovejoy ISD. These people are then usually accused of being false personas created by the school board.

Also it is worth noting that Allen ISD also voted against consolidation so no matter how Lovejoy ISD voted consolidation would not have happened so they really need to move on from that issue.

If you drive around the District you will see housing construction everywhere. Land prices for the few lots not controlled by the big builders have gone up tremendously in the last few years. Student enrollment continues to increase so lots of people are moving into the district. Existing houses in the more affordable parts of the district are sold very quickly.

The new (third) Elementary and new Middle School opens next year so crowding at the elementary schools will not be a problem for a few more years (likely will need a fourth elementary at some point).

Another good sign for Lovejoy ISD is that most teachers with school age children choose to enroll their children at Lovejoy rather than where they live.

For me, Lovejoy ISD was only one of the benefits of this area.
Fairview and Lucas are some of the few places where you can buy (relatively) affordable housing on acreage while still being close to the convenience provided by the amenities available in Allen and Mckinney. Furthermore additional retail space (probably close to 3 million sq feet) is under construction in Fairview and Allen.

Mardrew

Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,275 times
While Mardrew is having a positive experience with one child in a Lovejoy elementary school, she cannot understand and has no perception of the educational experience of students in the secondary schools. Once both of her children attend school, I am sure Mardrew will find that each of her children learn differently. The one size fits all approach in Lovejoy does not match many of the children who attend there. This forces families to move.

Twelve years ago, I attended a party in Plano where the guests were discussing area schools. The conversation turned to Lovejoy and the guests were evenly split as to if it was a good school district. One teacher said it was the worst school in our area. I decided to look on the bright side and moved there, anyway, several years later. We knew immediately it was a bad decision for our family. It was a relief to move from that district at a $35,000 loss. Since new homes were still being built in our subdivision, we were not able to sell it for what we had paid. My husband calls it our "trainwreck" house.

Speaking from experience, if someone tells you it is bad, listen. Research and research some more before plunking down a lot of cash.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,622,022 times
I have to tell you we were thisclose to buying a house in Fairview. By far, my favorite house and the setting was spectacular. However, too many red flags. I thought we'd lose our shirt.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 AM

39 posts, read 169,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expo View Post
While Mardrew is having a positive experience with one child in a Lovejoy elementary school, she cannot understand and has no perception of the educational experience of students in the secondary schools. Once both of her children attend school, I am sure Mardrew will find that each of her children learn differently. The one size fits all approach in Lovejoy does not match many of the children who attend there. This forces families to move.

A minor point first, I am a "he" not a "She". (also I have 3 children but the youngest is still 3 years away from going to school)

In repsonse to your rather insulting implication that I would not know how my children learn: First I taught both my sons how to read and how to do simple math (counting, adding etc.) . They do indeed learn very differently. One of my sons learned to read mainly based on phonetics while the other one memorizes words (like the "whole language" approach I believe). Kind of interesting since I did basically the same thing with them. Anyhow even though they learn very differently they both need to end up in the same place with regards to being able to read, calculate, analyze, etc.

While I only have one child at Lovejoy, I do have neighbors, friends in the community that have other kids at the elementary school and in the Middle School who are all very happy with the district. Despite claims of mass exodus of people from the district, the student population is still rapidly increasing.

Getting back on topic:
As I've said before I do not have experience with the Secondary programs.
However at the Elementary level, there are programs to help students who are having problems. For example my Wife volunteers with a reading program to help kids who are having reading problems.

While I don't particularly agree with this method: Some students are held back from recess so that teachers/volunteers can spend more one-on-one time to help students learn whatever subject matter have not mastered.

Thus, at least at the Elementary level there is not a "one size fits approach" to teach the kids.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 37,745 times
A friend of mine lives in Lovejoy and is putting their child in private school.
Her child loves the school, but she is just not happy with the education.

Kids that don't test into GT are put into classes that are supposedly pre-AP.
Not all kids can or want to do honors work.
Guess what happens when you put serious students in with kids that aren't?
The standards sink to the bottom.

Her child is a very serious student and is tired of football coaches teaching football plays in math class.

She thought the negative comments were over the top... until recently.
Now she wishes she had paid more attention....and followed up on the information.
Most of her friends won't even talk about anything that is wrong with the school - like they're afraid to discuss issues with the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas