Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 02:28 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
I've worked previously with multiple kids that went to Greenhill and they liked it.

It's very popular for North Dallas Jewish families since it's one of the very few non religious private schools in the area (Dallas area schools like Yavneh, St Marks, Dallas Lutheran, St Paul, John Paul, Jesuit, Hockaday, Ursuline, Parish, ESD.....ect are all religious)

Another thing to note is that one of the biggest benefits of living North of 635 like you mentioned (far north dallas) is the ability to go to RISD schools along with the lower crime.

All of the elementary schools on that side of Coit are incredible and to be honest there's not much difference then taking all pre-ap/AP at somewhere like JJ Pearce/RHS then go to Greenhill (not only that alot of social circles intertwine between those 3 schools, especially the Jewish population). I'm not saying don't do private i'm just mentioning that the public options are at least worth a glance
Is there really lower crime north of 635? Speaking specially of the areas in question (North Dallas and Far North Dallas).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 02:42 PM

565 posts, read 558,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Is there really lower crime north of 635? Speaking specially of the areas in question (North Dallas and Far North Dallas).
Significantly less.

The police detective who works off duty at my job was stationed in Far North Dallas and literally demanded a transfer after 4 months. He was bored out of his mind that's how much slower it was.

Far North Dallas is basically all Golf Course type neighborhoods (Prestonwood, Northwood, Northwood Hills, Campbell Green, Preston Trail/Bent Tree, Fretz park) and most of the neighbhorhoods are built around 1 of the 5 golf courses in that area

It's flooded with upper middle class families and retirees which results in little crime/drama and much much better public schools

Old 09-24-2019, 02:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
I've worked previously with multiple kids (about 10 different ones) that went to Greenhill and they liked it.

It's very popular for North Dallas Jewish families since it's one of the very few non religious private schools in the area (Dallas area schools like Yavneh, St Marks, Dallas Lutheran, St Paul, John Paul, Jesuit, Hockaday, Ursuline, Parish, ESD.....ect are all religious)

Another thing to note is that one of the biggest benefits of living North of 635 like you mentioned (far north dallas) is the ability to go to RISD schools along with the lower crime.

All of the elementary schools on that side of Coit are incredible (most of which are top 3% in the entire state) and to be honest there's not much difference then taking all pre-ap/AP at somewhere like JJ Pearce/RHS versus going to Greenhill. Not only that alot of social circles intertwine between those 3 schools, especially the Jewish population. I'm not saying don't do private i'm just mentioning that the public options are at least worth a glance (your gonna be zoned for a top 10% opportunity public school wise, that's at least worth a look)
Attending a huge public school in RISD will in literally no way be similar to attending Greenhill, or just about any other decent private school in Dallas area. Did OP mention being Jewish? Maybe I missed it. Otherwise that social circle info is irrelevant.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:13 PM

565 posts, read 558,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Attending a huge public school in RISD will in literally no way be similar to attending Greenhill
In terms of student demographics/make-up and quality of classes yeah there's not a ton of different between all AP Pearce versus greenhill (even the class size average is the same).

What would I know it's not like my families attended both schools......

I'm not trying to rip privates but merely point out that there's tons of top 10% public schools in this metroplex (Southlake, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Mckinney.....ect). The gap from all AP at a top 10% school isn't a ton different than somewhere like greenhill, especially since Greenhill isn't a selective private school like St Marks and the barrier to entry isn't high (everyone I have ever known it's the same story, it's a better alternative than Hillcrest highschool or there jewish but not orthodox so they don't want to go to Yavneh)

Last edited by mastershake575; 09-24-2019 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 04:40 PM

554 posts, read 683,959 times
Quote:
In terms of student demographics/make-up and quality of classes yeah there's not a ton of different between all AP Pearce versus greenhill (even the class size average is the same).

I'm not trying to rip privates but merely point out that there's tons of top 10% public schools in this metroplex (Southlake, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Mckinney.....ect). The gap from all AP at a top 10% school isn't a ton different than somewhere like greenhill, especially since Greenhill isn't a selective private school like St Marks and the barrier to entry isn't high (everyone I have ever known it's the same story, it's a better alternative than Hillcrest highschool or there jewish but not orthodox so they don't want to go to Yavneh)
Ummm...you might want to recheck your info on admissions to GH. There are many different opinions about Greenhill on this board, but this is the first time I've ever heard someone say it isn't selective and the barrier to entry isn't high (tell that to the dozens of parents claiming their kids got waitlisted or rejected with all perfect or nearly perfect ISEE scores...) If OP's kids are currently in 1st and 2nd grade and would be applying to 2nd and 3rd for next year, they have virtually no chance of gaining entrance. Those aren't expansion years and even if they were, they'd have less than a 1 in 4 shot of getting in. As it stands, for 2nd and 3rd grade, there are only openings if there is attrition (which typically, there isn't, and when there is, that slot nearly ALWAYS goes to a connected family.)

OP - you'd be better off looking at Prince of Peace Catholic OR Prince of Peace Christian (2 different schools) at your kids ages if you want small and nurturing. Even Good Shephard or Parish are going to be tough to gain admittance for non-expansion years. Westwood could be a good option if you are open to Montessori. I've known a few people that liked Guthrie in Plano/Allen, though the curriculum can be quite rigorous - I think it goes through 6th grade and has small class sizes.

Last edited by Waterdragon8212; 09-24-2019 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,380 times
Quote:
I.....especially since Greenhill isn't a selective private school like St Marks and the barrier to entry isn't high (everyone I have ever known it's the same story, it's a better alternative than Hillcrest highschool or there jewish but not orthodox so they don't want to go to Yavneh)
LOL at this...

Exactly how old is your information? Also Hockaday isn’t a religious school and hasn’t ever been.(And isn’t in the running as OP wants the kids in school together. Ditto St Marks)

+1 For the two Prince of Peace schools though both are religious.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 09-24-2019 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: More information.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:52 PM

161 posts, read 240,835 times
Quote:

All of the elementary schools on that side of Coit are incredible (most of which are top 3% in the entire state) and to be honest there's not much difference then taking all pre-ap/AP at somewhere like JJ Pearce/RHS versus going to Greenhill. Not only that alot of social circles intertwine between those 3 schools, especially the Jewish population. I'm not saying don't do private i'm just mentioning that the public options are at least worth a glance (your gonna be zoned for a top 10% opportunity public school wise, that's at least worth a look)
Hockaday is not a religious school. I would also consider it a stretch to say there’s not much different taking preAP/AP at JJ Pearce vs Greenhill. JJ Pearce is a solid public, but it it is not one of the the top publics in terms of metrics of average SAT score, # of NMSF’s like HP, Southlake or Plano West.

Quote:
The gap from all AP at a top 10% school isn't a ton different than somewhere like greenhill, especially since Greenhill isn't a selective private school like St Marks and the barrier to entry isn't high (everyone I have ever known it's the same story, it's a better alternative than Hillcrest highschool or there jewish but not orthodox so they don't want to go to Yavneh)
Greenhill is an extremely selective private school. I seem to recall last year on a post in the Dallas city-data forum, a connected poster (who was a Greenhill parent) even posted that some connected applicants (siblings, legacies, etc) were not accepted last year. It’s generally understood by most on this forum that the top elites are St. Mark’s, Hockaday and Greenhill which have an overall acceptance rate under 25%.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Significantly less.

The police detective who works off duty at my job was stationed in Far North Dallas and literally demanded a transfer after 4 months. He was bored out of his mind that's how much slower it was.

Far North Dallas is basically all Golf Course type neighborhoods (Prestonwood, Northwood, Northwood Hills, Campbell Green, Preston Trail/Bent Tree, Fretz park) and most of the neighbhorhoods are built around 1 of the 5 golf courses in that area

It's flooded with upper middle class families and retirees which results in little crime/drama and much much better public schools
That doesn’t seem much different than the North Dallas areas being discussed and literally some of the same schools (635 is not the border between RISD and DISD).

I like the areas in question personally, but I just don’t see 635 as much of a dividing line.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBee View Post
No budget. Christian is fine. "Religious" is not preferred but I am from Dallas and know what I'm getting into.

My son is highly gifted and highly sensitive. He's not athletic, and he does better in a smaller, supportive environment.
My daughter would probably be fine anywhere, but we want to keep them together for as long as we can ( they are in first grade/second grade) Also, I taught public school for several years and I'm done with it.

e.
Putting your highly gifted but sweet and sensitive son into a PCA or TCA environment would be a huge disservice to him.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

I dont know if your info is from the 1960s or what, but your credibility comes into question when you utter total claptrap ike this.

200+ kids competing for 28 spots sounds highly selective.
Also, are you like 100 years old? Jewish school?
Seriously?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: