Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:56 PM

11 posts, read 8,734 times

Advertisements

I am hoping for some advice on where to look for homes in Dallas as we are moving in the next 6-8 months from Atlanta. Thank you in advance!

As short a commute as possible is a high priority. One of us will be going to UT Southwestern and the other to Downtown Dallas, and we'd love to limit the amount of time spent sitting in traffic (like we do now), so I think that eliminates options like Plano.

We have two kids, the eldest is about to enter kindergarten, and we are open to public or private schools.

Budget is a max of $1-1.3M, but prefer to be on the lower end or below that if possible.

Neighborhood positives for us are: walkability (I know..), mature trees, 1/4 acre+ lot, some character, down-to-earth community. Parks/green space and a library nearby are a big plus.

From what we've read here so far, Park Cities seem to be the best in town public school option but we are nearly priced out of that area, and I wonder about culture fit there. Are there other solid public schools close in to the city?

If we go with private schools, what are the best neighborhoods to live in given the above criteria? If we're doing private school we'd like pay less for a home to compensate if that trade-off exists in Dallas... As a side note, if anybody has suggestions on where to find a good overview of private school options (including private elementary and middle schools, not just K-12 options) that would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 PM

516 posts, read 450,735 times
Preston Hollow area would be a good fit. There is a range of prices of homes in this area. Preston Hollow Elementary, Walnut Hill Elementary, Degolyer Elementary or Withers Elementary are very good public schools. There’s also Dealey Montessori in the area. It’s free as it’s part of DISD, but it’s very competitive to get into. Dallas also has several tag schools that are very good that wouldn’t be too far, but again, are very competitive to get into. Dallas has many private schools. There’s Hockaday, St. Marks, Jesuit, Ursuline, ESD, Grace Academy, and Lamplighter to name a few.

Also check out Midway Hollow neighborhood or Bluffview neighborhood in Dallas. Bluffview is the closest of the neighborhoods I mentioned. My co-worker just bought a beautiful home there on a 1/5 acre lot for $600K.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmawr View Post
I am hoping for some advice on where to look for homes in Dallas as we are moving in the next 6-8 months from Atlanta. Thank you in advance!

As short a commute as possible is a high priority. One of us will be going to UT Southwestern and the other to Downtown Dallas, and we'd love to limit the amount of time spent sitting in traffic (like we do now), so I think that eliminates options like Plano.

We have two kids, the eldest is about to enter kindergarten, and we are open to public or private schools.

Budget is a max of $1-1.3M, but prefer to be on the lower end or below that if possible.

Neighborhood positives for us are: walkability (I know..), mature trees, 1/4 acre+ lot, some character, down-to-earth community. Parks/green space and a library nearby are a big plus.

From what we've read here so far, Park Cities seem to be the best in town public school option but we are nearly priced out of that area, and I wonder about culture fit there. Are there other solid public schools close in to the city?

If we go with private schools, what are the best neighborhoods to live in given the above criteria? If we're doing private school we'd like pay less for a home to compensate if that trade-off exists in Dallas... As a side note, if anybody has suggestions on where to find a good overview of private school options (including private elementary and middle schools, not just K-12 options) that would be greatly appreciated!
With this budget HP would be difficult. You can either raise housing budget and go public or pick Preston Hollow to spend a good amount monthly on each child’s school and may have to drive each to a different one unless all qualify for one good school. Expensive private schools can offer more personal attention but otherwise HP schools should be comparable. Keep college cost in mind as well before you make your decision. I can’t tell you which route to take, only you understand your family’s financial and academic needs.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
You have a couple of options to explore:
1. Park Cities ticks most of your boxes for short commutes, excellent public schools K-12, lots of public park space, pretty good walkablity, trees, etc but you’ll need to study the real estate market to see what you think about the options in your price range. Our good friends just spent about $1.0M on a 2300 3/2.5/2 hour built in the 1950’s with a renovation about 20 years ago (“dated” for the Park Cities). Another couple we know spent about $1.1M this fall for a newer construction single-family attached home this fall.

2. Lakewood - longer commute to UTSW but highly desirable in-town neighborhood with excellent K-5 schools and public options to explore for 6-12 (neighborhood ms & Hs,magnet schools or privates). Lakewood has beautiful scenery, mature trees and sits on the west side of White Rock Lake. More diverse than the Park Cities politically and ever so slightly more diverse racially and economically. Cute little historic “downtown” village and super close to Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, the Arboretum, etc for entertainment. $1.1-1.3M is a healthy budget for Lakewood, your options could range from a sprawling ranch style home on a 1/2 acre with views of the lake to a renovated historic Spanish style home on Lakewood Blvd to a new custom home.

3. If you seriously are considering private’s (and realize the more desirable ones quickly climb to $30k tuition in elementary school years), I would hack your housing budget down to $750k or so and try to find something in 75220 or 75229 (north of the above mentioned Bluffview and west of Preston Hollow). You’ll find large .3-.4 acre lots are the norm, an updated ranch style or mid-century modern, and many of Dallas’ best private schools nearby. The least walkable of the suggestions so far. Very easy commute to UTSW and downtown.!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:14 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,486 times
Ditto on TC80's recommendation, I would also add the M-Streets - $1M will get you a lot of house there (but not a lot of lot) ... closer to US75, best walkability, same (some think better) public schools as Lakewood.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:15 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Park Cities is a great location and has excellent schools but isn't down to earth nor are the best private schools in Dallas. How important is "down to earth" to you and what does that mean to you?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
I would look into Kessler Park, in addition to what people listed above. Super close to both jobs. Public elementary is potentially something you can use. If not, the Kessler School is a pretty good private school option with an amazing community feel to it (seriously if you go there you’ll feel like you live in a beautiful enclave of a huge city where you know so many people) but it ends at 8th.

If you use the N Dallas private schools, you probably want to live near them. Maybe affordable parts of Preston Hollow or Midway Hollow. You won’t want to drive all the way north to drop the kids then commute back south. I also love E Dallas and it checks a lot of your boxes. But if you aren’t willing to use the public middle and high schools, you’re definitely a hike from most of your other options. To be clear, the same is true of Kessler/Oak Cliff, which is where I live. But you can get away with local schools until high school at which point kids are getting close to Sri driving age.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Preston Hollow area would be a good fit. There is a range of prices of homes in this area. Preston Hollow Elementary, Walnut Hill Elementary, Degolyer Elementary or Withers Elementary are very good public schools. There’s also Dealey Montessori in the area. It’s free as it’s part of DISD, but it’s very competitive to get into. Dallas also has several tag schools that are very good that wouldn’t be too far, but again, are very competitive to get into. Dallas has many private schools. There’s Hockaday, St. Marks, Jesuit, Ursuline, ESD, Grace Academy, and Lamplighter to name a few.

Also check out Midway Hollow neighborhood or Bluffview neighborhood in Dallas. Bluffview is the closest of the neighborhoods I mentioned. My co-worker just bought a beautiful home there on a 1/5 acre lot for $600K.
Thank you NTXPerson! Is it competitive to get into the public schools you mentioned because it's a lottery and down to chance or it's an application like a private school? Do you have any sense of the odds of admission? Thank you for the location ideas!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You have a couple of options to explore:
1. Park Cities ticks most of your boxes for short commutes, excellent public schools K-12, lots of public park space, pretty good walkablity, trees, etc but you’ll need to study the real estate market to see what you think about the options in your price range. Our good friends just spent about $1.0M on a 2300 3/2.5/2 hour built in the 1950’s with a renovation about 20 years ago (“dated” for the Park Cities). Another couple we know spent about $1.1M this fall for a newer construction single-family attached home this fall.

2. Lakewood - longer commute to UTSW but highly desirable in-town neighborhood with excellent K-5 schools and public options to explore for 6-12 (neighborhood ms & Hs,magnet schools or privates). Lakewood has beautiful scenery, mature trees and sits on the west side of White Rock Lake. More diverse than the Park Cities politically and ever so slightly more diverse racially and economically. Cute little historic “downtown” village and super close to Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, the Arboretum, etc for entertainment. $1.1-1.3M is a healthy budget for Lakewood, your options could range from a sprawling ranch style home on a 1/2 acre with views of the lake to a renovated historic Spanish style home on Lakewood Blvd to a new custom home.

3. If you seriously are considering private’s (and realize the more desirable ones quickly climb to $30k tuition in elementary school years), I would hack your housing budget down to $750k or so and try to find something in 75220 or 75229 (north of the above mentioned Bluffview and west of Preston Hollow). You’ll find large .3-.4 acre lots are the norm, an updated ranch style or mid-century modern, and many of Dallas’ best private schools nearby. The least walkable of the suggestions so far. Very easy commute to UTSW and downtown.!
Turtle Creek 80 This is very helpful, thank you! Lakewood sounds awesome and I know I'd love being near the Lake and the Arboretum. Thank you also for the helpful color on Park Cities. Seems like it would be tough, we definitely would like detached and pretty close to move-in ready.
For the area you mentioned 75220 or 75229 - what is the story with this area? Is there a sense of community feel/do neighbors know each other? Seems like if everybody goes do different private schools that might be difficult - and then the local public schools seem more challenged - I'm just wondering about the vibe of this neighborhood/area.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Ditto on TC80's recommendation, I would also add the M-Streets - $1M will get you a lot of house there (but not a lot of lot) ... closer to US75, best walkability, same (some think better) public schools as Lakewood.
Thank you cordata! Can you compare M Streets vs. Lakewood? They seem to run into each other on the map, not sure if they have a different feel or if the difference is more in proximity to the city vs. proximity to the Lake and the commute is the trade off? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas