Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

Really just looking for some general thoughts / what have I not thought of on the finances of a potential move.

I make $100k in NH, with salary growth in the past of 8-10% annually (7 years now), very likely that will continue until I hit $140 - at which time it will either be COL growth, or a large bump to $200k+ (partner). Right now we live 50 minutes from where I work. My wife works 1 day a week to keep up her skills, about another $10-13k annually, but stays at home with our daughter, with soon more kids to come.

We live about 50 minutes from my work, and are contemplating a move to a spot 10 minutes from work just outside the city, with buying a similar grade home. We would have a 20% down payment, and similar grade homes to what we have now are $400-450k. Current mortgage payment (PITI) is $1971, PITI on a new home similar grade is $2400-2700. - relatively high property tax area.

Moving to this area would save us $300/month in gas & tolls & auto maint, $100/month in road maintenance (private road), $200/month in hot water /heating costs, and about $100/month in other costs. Several other costs are marginally higher such as auto insurance.

On paper, this works to break even financially, plus giving me another 1.25 hours a day with the family, as a percentage of income the mortgage payment would go up significantly. Overall we live in a relatively high COL state - median home list price is $280k, in the southern half of the state it is a bit higher then that, my guess is a decent chunk over $300k.

If we did such a move, afterwards we would have $30k in the bank, and would still be doing 15% 401k, 5% taxable investments, 5% HSA(just about maxed out), 2.5% just building more cash reserves. We also have another chunk or so set aside on a monthly basis for things like pet care, home repairs, auto repairs, and auto replacement - comes to about 35-40% of our after tax income is set aside each month. Overall net worth is about $240k, we are in our late 20s.

What are your thoughts/what would you do? Stay put? Move to similar grade home? Move somewhere in-between? Buy a lot cheaper but lesser grade? Not sure what we are going to do yet, so just looking for some other thoughts that possibly I haven't explored yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 01:05 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
This looks like a no-brainer to me. You're going to be able to keep up a good savings/investment rate, while in a worst-case scenario break even. If you're on the low side of your new-house estimate, you'll actually be pocketing some money from the move. Plus, I think you are underestimating your wear-and-tear and depreciation on your auto. It's probably closer to a $500-$600 savings there than $300. This is all while eliminating what is a pretty lengthy commute. Commutes are a giant time-suck. In your shoes, I'd personally be glad to even lose a little money to obtain the new commute.

Plus, I'd imagine this puts you closer to a larger town/amenities. Think about what happens when your kids are ready to be involved with sports and clubs. So, it won't just be your work commute you'll be lessening.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:49 PM

456 posts, read 348,458 times
It's difficult to put a price on the extra time spent with your family every day.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:14 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
How do the schools compare?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:26 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
You get a new home, shorter commute, maintain an excellent savings rate, assuming closer to shops & stores. Go for it.

BTW, how is that 50 minute commute in winter ?
And curious where the hot water/heating savings comes from. Usually that would be a wash. (Unless maybe going from all-electric to natural gas ?)

Old 07-28-2019, 04:17 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
I am curious why living on a private road would save you money? I would think it would be the opposite. But other than that, I think you should do it. I agree that commute savings would be worth it. (time)

Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
My first impression is that I would want a commute of an hour or less.
You did a good job of analyzing your options and explaining. Since you project a breakeven financially I would be moving. If it was not breakeven but you could afford it I would still move. I have had an hour commute including public transportation and a 20 minute commute by car and the 20 minutes by car was excellent.
The question on schools I missed although I am very much aware of the quality of education in my area. As long as the quality of the schools does not go down I would move.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:49 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I did a 50 minute +/- commute for about 6 years. Never again!

Using your calculated savings and the upper end of your total housing expense you should be 29 bucks ahead every month AND have TIME. Seems like a good idea to me.
Sitting in a car for close to an hour each way is unpleasant at best.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:49 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am curious why living on a private road would save you money? I would think it would be the opposite. But other than that, I think you should do it. I agree that commute savings would be worth it. (time)
I read that as he currently lives on a private road and, therefore, has to pay maintenance on it, hence the savings by moving.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
I went from a min 90 min commute each way to 20 minutes. Net cost was at the time 500.00 more a month, tax law changes have push that higher to 700.00 or so but it was worth it and I wish I’d done it sooner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance