Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 04:39 PM

100 posts, read 135,219 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary to get tankless water heater flushed every 6 months? I was told it was necessary but when I asked my friends about it, none of them has ever had that done. So just want to hear other people's opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 05:08 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Nope. We’ve had ours for 10 years and never did that, and it works fine.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:13 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Eventually they can get clogged from the hard water buildup we have here. They sell a kit for $100 on amazon that lets you clean it yourself, it's basically a couple hose fittings, hoses, a submersible pump, and a bucket. If you know what fittings you need you could buy a pump and the pieces separately and save about half the cost.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:29 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea1982 View Post
Is it necessary to get tankless water heater flushed every 6 months? I was told it was necessary but when I asked my friends about it, none of them has ever had that done. So just want to hear other people's opinions. Thanks!
Every six months? Unless you are on extra hard well water - no way.

If you are on city water - maybe every 3rd or 4th year.

If you unit does not have isolation valves (oft. called flush kit valves) on the hot and cold side you can't descale/flush anyway without some plumbing skills. So if you don't have valves that look something like the below don't worry about it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you do get on the net and find a step by step descale routine......you'll need hoses, a bucket, a lot of white vinegar or better yet a purpose made descale powder or liquid, and a little pump.

Our lake house came with a then 5yo electric tankless WH that didn't have isolation valves and the seller had obviously never descaled the unit.

The day after we closed I added isolation valves. The next day I descaled the unit..............you would not believe how much semi-dissolved garbage poured into the bucket. The unit instantly worked much better as well.

The moral is if you can do it easily do so every couple of years. If you water is hard then do so more like every year. The people recommending every 6 mos. are likely from Arizona or they've had well water in the past.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I flush mine yearly. The kit and instructions are on Amazon. It takes about an hour and very simple.

Spend about $150 one time and it will save you about $250-300 a year.

Yes they should be flushed. 6 months is excessive.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea1982 View Post

Do read your tankless WH manual and it will provide needed maintenance. One maintenance task is to at least annually clean a filter that is inline with the WH. That can give you an idea if the remainder of the system requires extended cleaning. If it was properly installed then it should be easy to access to use one of the flush kits available out there. The cost savings over a Plumber for of one self flush job would pay for the flush kit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas