Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 23,446 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are planning to move to Dallas. I have been googling a bit.. but I would appreciate your comments.. Thanks!!!

Coppell, Frisco, and McKinney seem to be good school districts from my search.

Frisco seems to be saturated already (in terms of growth)..etc. How bad is the traffic?

McKinney seems to have good potential for good growth? How bad is the commute from McKinney? Sounded like, McKinney has room for future growth (as Frisco did) ?

Good Schools (9+ rating) is what I'm looking for.. either in Frisco/McKinney/Coppell/..etc. New Home Source site does show many communities, but its not convenient to find out the school ratings. Is there a better way?

Where are Indians in the area buying new houses now? Fellow Indians, please comment.

Where are the Indian IT/Consulting Companies located?

Dallas suburb, Irving has developed, then Plano, and Frisco.. Has Frisco come to a point that people are moving further north Prosper/McKinney?

BTW, I can't find many new homes for Coppell location or Coppell ISD.

Last edited by raj2020; 01-04-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 51,536 times
I think it depends on where you work. If you work in Dallas (downtown) then any commute is going to be rough. Especially from frisco/mckinney.
If you work in Plano and live in Plano or surrounding suburbs, the traffic is pretty ridiculous in all directions.
If you work in Irving and live in Irving or surrounding suburbs, the traffic is great. Not bad at all.

I mention Irving because there are a few consulting companies there - specifically a really big Indian consulting company and it's extremely close to Coppell and Coppell is close to DFW airport. I think StoneGate has new homes being built right now - it's close to highway 114 and the community looks beautiful. Also you might want to check out Castle Hills - I've heard good things about that subdivision!

Also a ton of Indians in irving/las colinas/coppell... there's a grocery store called Patel Brothers in Irving that's an indian grocery store...

Hope this helps

*Edit*:

I did some research on the stonegate community and their school systems are
Coppell ISD
Lee Elementary School
Coppell Middle School West
Coppell High School

Coppell is a highly sought after school district. A+ rating

Last edited by aussiesrcute; 01-04-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-04-2020, 09:59 AM

290 posts, read 368,705 times
In Frisco ISD Indians are buying new homes in all of the new subdivisions, there is almost no new subdivision that will not have a majority Asian Indian population. Same for any new or newish subdivision in Coppell ISD. There is only one completely new subdivision in Coppell called South Haven (West Haven along 121 might also have some new homes), it is expected that South Haven becomes majority Asian Indian. Flower Mound, Allen, Murphy, parts of Southlake and North Plano have huge Indian populations as well but brand new homes in those areas are relatively scarce.

If looking at McKinney make sure that the subdivision is zoned to Frisco ISD and NOT McKinney ISD, as the latter is much less diverse, with a very small Indian population and mediocre schools compared to Frisco ISD. Same goes for Irving, make sure the home is zoned for Coppell ISD. A lot of Indians are purchasing new homes in the new Craig Ranch subdivisions.

As Frisco is starting to become built out, many people including Desis are starting to buy into new subdivisions in Prosper and even southern parts of Celina and parts of Little Elm and Aubrey but the population is still relatively small compared to the Indian population in Frisco.

Schooldigger.com is a very good website for checking school rankings and school demographics.

Most IT companies are located in the Frisco Legacy Corridor along Dallas North Tollway or in the Las Colinas area of Irving or near the airport along 114 and 635.

If you want to check how Indian a subdivision is use the Collin CAD property map, Denton CAD property map or the Dallas CAD property map. There you can find out the names of homeowners in a particular subdivision which can tell you a subdivisions demographic.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:30 AM

122 posts, read 173,242 times
It seems schools in coppell is highly regarded in this forum, but why the ranking of coppell’s school is not high, especially compared with schools in frisco and Plano,for instance, coppell high school only rate as 7/10 in great school, for elementary school, except for lakeside elementary, other schools such as cottonwood creek or Denton creek, Wilson elementary all rate 7 or 8 out of 10. In school digger, their ranking is very low. But if you look at rating for schools in frisco or Plano, they are normally 9 or 10 out of 10, they are also rank much higher in school digger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesrcute View Post
I think it depends on where you work. If you work in Dallas (downtown) then any commute is going to be rough. Especially from frisco/mckinney.
If you work in Plano and live in Plano or surrounding suburbs, the traffic is pretty ridiculous in all directions.
If you work in Irving and live in Irving or surrounding suburbs, the traffic is great. Not bad at all.

I mention Irving because there are a few consulting companies there - specifically a really big Indian consulting company and it's extremely close to Coppell and Coppell is close to DFW airport. I think StoneGate has new homes being built right now - it's close to highway 114 and the community looks beautiful. Also you might want to check out Castle Hills - I've heard good things about that subdivision!

Also a ton of Indians in irving/las colinas/coppell... there's a grocery store called Patel Brothers in Irving that's an indian grocery store...

Hope this helps

*Edit*:

I did some research on the stonegate community and their school systems are
Coppell ISD
Lee Elementary School
Coppell Middle School West
Coppell High School

Coppell is a highly sought after school district. A+ rating

Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 51,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhappybird View Post
It seems schools in coppell is highly regarded in this forum, but why the ranking of coppell’s school is not high, especially compared with schools in frisco and Plano,for instance, coppell high school only rate as 7/10 in great school, for elementary school, except for lakeside elementary, other schools such as cottonwood creek or Denton creek, Wilson elementary all rate 7 or 8 out of 10. In school digger, their ranking is very low. But if you look at rating for schools in frisco or Plano, they are normally 9 or 10 out of 10, they are also rank much higher in school digger.
I was going based off of location/ethnicity, traffic, and work preference. If school district rating is their priority, then maybe look into Frisco. 7/8/9 vs 9/10. But if they prioritize traffic and ethnicity within their work location (especially being in IT) then I suggest Coppell because it is booming with Indian culture and there is way less traffic.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj2020 View Post
Where are Indians in the area buying new houses now? Fellow Indians, please comment.

Where are the Indian IT/Consulting Companies located?

Dallas suburb, Irving has developed, then Plano, and Frisco.. Has Frisco come to a point that people are moving further north Prosper/McKinney?

BTW, I can't find many new homes for Coppell location or Coppell ISD.
Your timeline is a bit off. Irving & Plano have been developed Dallas suburbs my entire life (I'm over 40).

However, both are very close to being 100% built-out. This means that new builds in both suburbs will be in less-than-desirable locations unless those stubborn holdout landowners sell their prime land to be platted for residential development. I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice buying a house 20 feet from a highway service road just because "IT'S NEW!!!" rather than buying a house in a more desirable location that may be 5, 10, even 20 years older. Food for thought.

Frisco isn't built-out yet and the demand for new construction is strong, mostly because it seems to be mostly south Asians moving there and you guys have a very strong preference for brand-spanking-new. This pushes up prices (for new builds) in Frisco. If you're priced out, you should probably try Prosper. (I had actually been hearing that realtors in Frisco were having trouble selling new builds, so I dunno.) I doubt Indians are flocking to Little Elm; I hear the schools aren't very good. I've never met a single Indian who lives in McKinney. All the ones I work with live in Irving (Valley Ranch) or Frisco with very few exceptions. A couple of the older ones live in Plano.

If you want to know where India, Inc. has set up shop in DFW you should be able to Google it and figure it out yourself.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 AM

565 posts, read 557,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhappybird View Post
Don't ever use great schools, it's trash

Coppell is ranked top 1% school district on digger, coppell high is ranked almost top 500 in the nation by US Newsweek (96 out of 100) , and TEA state rankings have it at a 93 out of 100.

Great schools is very unreliable. I remember it had the worst elementary school in my entire district (the only one of which got a failing grade by the state for the entire district) the same overall rating as the top 5% highschool in the nation that it fed into....... (lol)

Old 01-06-2020, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 43,263 times
Hi. I am reading this thread as I am very interested in also moving to Coppell and like the idea of a diverse community. However, we are Caucasian and I have heard that some schools of the Coppell elementary schools are predominantly Indian which would not be a good fit for us. Can someone lmk which these schools are, and which schools are more diverse and also highly desirable? Same question w/ housing- is there any new housing that is diverse, but not overwhelmingly east Asian?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyttt View Post
Hi. I am reading this thread as I am very interested in also moving to Coppell and like the idea of a diverse community. However, we are Caucasian and I have heard that some schools of the Coppell elementary schools are predominantly Indian which would not be a good fit for us. Can someone lmk which these schools are, and which schools are more diverse and also highly desirable? Same question w/ housing- is there any new housing that is diverse, but not overwhelmingly east Asian?
New housing developments in Coppell, Irving, and Frisco will be predominantly Indian. That's where they want to live and send their kids to school and they only want brand-new houses.

If you want new construction in areas NOT dominated by Indians, I suggest looking on the Fort Worth side or go east to Rockwall.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:18 AM

122 posts, read 173,242 times
I don’t think great school is trash, if it is, why Zillow and realtor.com and other real estate website all use it? The rating in great school is basically consistent with the ranking in school digger or niche. For instance, a 10/10rating school in great school will not be ranked low in school digger, a 6/10 school in great school will most likely be ranked low in school digger.

QUOTE=mastershake575;57028930]Don't ever use great schools, it's trash

Coppell is ranked top 1% school district on digger, coppell high is ranked almost top 500 in the nation by US Newsweek (96 out of 100) , and TEA state rankings have it at a 93 out of 100.

Great schools is very unreliable. I remember it had the worst elementary school in my entire district (the only one of which got a failing grade by the state for the entire district) the same overall rating as the top 5% highschool in the nation that it fed into....... (lol)[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas