Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 03:48 PM

21 posts, read 38,693 times

Advertisements

I’m requesting your suggestions in buying a home this year in the Dallas suburbs. Husband works in Coppell I work in East Plano. Our budget is 350k. We need at least 3 bed. We would like something newish as Neither of us are handy. Good schools are a priority as well as a diverse community of people.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 04:27 PM

565 posts, read 558,983 times
Wylie highschool area. City would be Wylie and parts of both Sache and Murphy. Top 5% highschool in the nation

Most houses are in the 2002-2015 range. A good chunk of the house would be in your price range and decently close to the East plano job, Coppell drive you will definitely want to try to beat rush hour if you can

In terms of house age I wouldn't stress the year. Most modern houses (especially cookie cutter neighbhorhoods) the materials are cheap and the houses where built quick. I would rather have a 1960s house that's been recently remodeled then have a 2005 era house that hasn't been touched since the day it was sold

Old 01-12-2020, 05:08 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
I live in Wylie but I think there are better locations considering both job locations. Richardson in the 75082 zip code is closer but the budget will be tighter. Worth a look. Possibly north Carrollton as well as parts of castle hills might work as well.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM

75082 is good but 70% of it will be too old, other 15% pushing his budget, and the final 15% literally bordering Murphy which is a Wylie high feeder regardless

The whole newer build is gonna be an issue if your trying to live in between both jobs (Richardson, Dallas, farmer branch are almost all older areas).

Your best bet regardless is live closer to one job and the other suck it up drive wise (most aren't fans of trying to split the commute in half, it's not as practical as it sounds )

Old 01-12-2020, 07:09 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
75082 is good but 70% of it will be too old, other 15% pushing his budget, and the final 15% literally bordering Murphy which is a Wylie high feeder regardless

The whole newer build is gonna be an issue if your trying to live in between both jobs (Richardson, Dallas, farmer branch are almost all older areas).

Your best bet regardless is live closer to one job and the other suck it up drive wise (most aren't fans of trying to split the commute in half, it's not as practical as it sounds )
Yeah agree on the splitting commute in half being difficult
A better idea would be to live closer to the spouse who deals with the children more. Make it more convenient for that spouse to get home quickly if kids need him/her. The other parent would just have to take one for the team.

If that parent works in coppell, then I would look in Las Colinas
If the parent works in East Plano, then Murphy would be first, then Sachse then Wylie

Old 01-12-2020, 07:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
FWIW we bought a 2003 home in 2008. Starting last year things have started going...needed new HVAC unitS (plural, ouch!), hot water heater is on its last legs judging by my neighbors, and roofs are starting to get replaced (CertainTeed shingles FTW). Builder grade appliances were replaced a few years ago, new flooring done three years ago as the builder grade carpet was honestly crappy even in 2008. Builder grade outlets were replaced because they yellowed, switches started becoming loose and arcing, even our back door to our porch is rotting and will need to be replaced.

The whole point of this is, you mentioned these "newer" homes...IMO they are built like crap with low end materials (even the more expensive ones; we toured a model in the mid 400's around me which is quite expensive for this area of NC) etc.

My next house I want to be older and NOT updated...I want to update how I want, using quality materials!

And if you become a homeowner, you absolutely need to become handy! The stuff is not difficult, YouTube is a great tool.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Youtube can teach you a lot.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Look in Euless north of 183.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:14 PM

21 posts, read 38,693 times
Thank you everyone. Wylie has been on our radar for schools. I guess my husband will have suck it up and commute. I will check out the other areas too. What about Sachse/garland /Rowlett ? It’s just a bit closer to the highway, but I guess schools are the problem.
Regarding the newer badly built houses, are any builders better than others?

Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Lela_Marie79 View Post
Sachse/garland /Rowlett ? It’s just a bit closer to the highway, but I guess schools are the problem.
The portion of Sache that's in collin county is the portion you'll want (you'll get the wylie high feeder and pay the much cheaper collin county taxes versus the more expensive dallas county taxes).

Schools in most of Garland/Rowlett will be a signifcant downgrade compared to Collin county portion of Sache, Wylie, and Murphy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas