Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 AM

75 posts, read 67,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I've already said I'm not doing the whole back and forth thing on the topic; it is what it is. But for those like you who want to argue that there are a handful of places where the cost of living is still higher (and many people are moving from those very places and are ridiculous price hikes in DFW), here's the thing: If DFW is getting to the point where middle class people have to STRUGGLE to live in DFW and don't have the quality of life that they should for the money that they make, then they might as well just move to one of those big, expensive, REAL cities/metros that you are mentioning!!! I mean, hell, if I'm going to struggle to pay my mortgage on a six figure income due to skyrocketing property taxes and artificially rising house values, do 2 and 3 hour commutes to and from work everyday, etc, then I might as well go do that in California where I can get some beaches and some sunshine for my struggle and hard earned $$$$$, in NYC where I can have 24/7 access to world class amenities and events, etc. THAT'S the point that DFW is racing toward, and no city in TEXAS is worth that---if one REALLY wants to make that comparison---hence why DFW has become OVERVALUED.

Of the top 15 largest metros in the USA Dallas is probably the 2nd most affordable. Only Atlanta would fall below us and MAYBE Houston but thats a toss up. You can't compare California or NYC because they are outliers. Even comparing other metros like Boston, Philly, Miami or Minneapolis we are still much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 04:42 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I mean, hell, if I'm going to struggle to pay my mortgage on a six figure income due to skyrocketing property taxes and artificially rising house values, do 2 and 3 hour commutes to and from work everyday, etc, then I might as well go do that in California where I can get some beaches and some sunshine for my struggle and hard earned $$$$$, in NYC where I can have 24/7 access to world class amenities and events, etc. THAT'S the point that DFW is racing toward, and no city in TEXAS is worth that
Ever heard of Houston?

The beaches in SoCal are cold and full of sewage and biohazard garbage. Nobody knows how the used syringes, tampon applicators and condoms washed up on Dockweiler Beach from the sewage treatment plant. Malibu was incorporated to prevent the county from building a sewer system and switching away celebrity homes from leaky, private septic tanks.

--You still have sunshine and warm water in Galveston!--

The infrastructure on the coasts are dilapidated, but the East Coast is the worst out of the two. The Tappan Zee bridge was replaced just in time, before a Minneapolis-style bridge collapse separates downstate and upstate NYS. The NYC subway needs extensive repairs and renovations after over a century of service. The DC Metro needs re-wiring after a fatal fire a few years ago.

Most houses in Texas are more recent builds. Even a '70s house has modern wiring compared to a '40s house. Lead paint, asbestos, or radon in basements is not an issue for homeowners here, unlike the Midwest and Northeast. Our worries are more like replacing pre-1992 toilets to water-saving newer models.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:53 PM

565 posts, read 558,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
You don't have to do any of that in DFW to afford a house, even in the nicer districts. Someone yesterday posted a whole bunch of houses in Richardson, one of the best districts in DFW and close to jobs, all remodeled under $300k. There are tons of houses in Arlington that are affordable to two minimum wage earners, $150-$200k.
Yep Richardson has houses in the 260-300k range that are good and centrally located. Central plano has the same as well (these houses are $1600-1800 a month, not exactly "breaking the bank").

Yeah it stinks that prices have gone up but let's not spin this as there's no affordable housing. If you need central location/good schools then Richardson and Central Plano plenty of good options. Want good schools but don't need central location then Wylie, Sache, Allen good options.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:03 PM

565 posts, read 558,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Or

3. Suburbs to the south/east start to become more desirable. The northern suburbs have become very congested and pricey, but there is a lot of opportunity to grow to the south and east of Downtown Dallas.
More of a pipe dream than anything. Would love for those area's to florish but reality is transplants will either pay the more pricey rate or will jump to another city then trying to gentifry pleasant grove and south dallas (those two area's are long term projects versus short term influx)

Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Is it possible that we could see gentrification of East and South Dallas? There could be more density and building of apartments.

I just don’t see how 1-2 million people are going to move into DFW. I guess low/middle income people could move to Sherman and commute to areas closer in, and only the wealthiest transplants and other residents could afford to live in Collin and Dallas counties.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
Of the top 15 largest metros in the USA Dallas is probably the 2nd most affordable. Only Atlanta would fall below us and MAYBE Houston but thats a toss up. You can't compare California or NYC because they are outliers. Even comparing other metros like Boston, Philly, Miami or Minneapolis we are still much cheaper.
We moved from DFW to the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro 3 years ago and our experience has been that the 2 metros are actually about the same in COL all factors considered as of today. Many taxes here are higher, but the toll roads, those insane property taxes, plus the fact that home prices in DFW have gone WAY up even since we lived there have brought things at least close to even. We've actually been quite surprised how affordable things up here have been because some people would talk about MSP like it was on the same level as Chicago or Seattle in correlation with COL when we were deciding where to go. Not even close to anything like that.

I really hope DFW does not add another 1 to 2 million people over the next decade, but having been back several times since we moved I don't see any end in sight to the tidal wave of growth that area has been experiencing. DFW seems to remain one of the most powerful magnets in the US for folks fleeing other parts of the country for whatever reason.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default 2 million is too high

Maybe 1.3 million is more like it. Remember population may start to slow if we are not allowing immigrants.
Plus if the housing market stays like it is and rents then the cost of living will become prohibitive. Only Los Angeles has ever put up numbers like that and this was back in the 1970's and 80's

Old 01-28-2020, 09:26 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Maybe 1.3 million is more like it. Remember population may start to slow if we are not allowing immigrants.
Plus if the housing market stays like it is and rents then the cost of living will become prohibitive. Only Los Angeles has ever put up numbers like that and this was back in the 1970's and 80's
Admittedly DFW does remind me alittle bit of Inland Empire.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:52 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
Houston is absolutely cheaper than Dallas and Atlanta is absolutely more.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:56 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
I think in the Next Decade we will see less growth than the 2010s. Under 1 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas