Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We went out for a drive yesterday. The density of people along the Katy Trail crossings made my skin crawl. I know that it was an absolutely gorgeous day but it was like St Patrick’s Day parade volume of people out in uptown / west village / katy trail.

I don’t know why people don’t comprehend that the longer we don’t all do this, the longer we have to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper21 View Post
It should be done. Folks are not getting "it."
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...order/2341197/
I would expect Katy Trail and White Rock Lake to have restricted access soon. Metro Phoenix restricted access to its most heavily trafficked outdoor spaces.

Last edited by RJ312; 03-29-2020 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 05:44 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/w...3eb235926816fe

Social Distancing guidelines now apply up until April 30th.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Why did so many Coronavirus cases come out of the Colorado mountain resorts like Aspen, Vail, Beaver Creek, and Breckenridge? As you illustrate, there were of spring break trips to the Colorado mountains in a certain socioeconomic strata.

DFW residents tend to go to the CO mountain towns in the summer time to get out of the scorching heat here. I'm thinking that won't be happening as much this year.
I don’t know. The longer this goes on, the more a trip to the mountains makes sense for sanity. But I mean the actual mountains. Not going to a party scene in Vail or Aspen with mountains just for backdrop and going to trendy restaurants. We kept our spring break plans. We drove and stayed at a house in the mountains. Cooked meals at home or grabbed take out. Went on hikes where we saw no one or maybe another group from afar. Then drove home. We probably encountered fewer people than if we shopped for food in Dallas. I think over the summer people are going to trade trips to Europe for trips closer to home where where you aren’t around a ton of people. And personally I think that’s ok, if people do it responsibly. Of course, that’s an important IF.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I don’t know. The longer this goes on, the more a trip to the mountains makes sense for sanity. But I mean the actual mountains. Not going to a party scene in Vail or Aspen with mountains just for backdrop and going to trendy restaurants. We kept our spring break plans. We drove and stayed at a house in the mountains. Cooked meals at home or grabbed take out. Went on hikes where we saw no one or maybe another group from afar. Then drove home. We probably encountered fewer people than if we shopped for food in Dallas. I think over the summer people are going to trade trips to Europe for trips closer to home where where you aren’t around a ton of people. And personally I think that’s ok, if people do it responsibly. Of course, that’s an important IF.
Under normal times, Vail and Aspen are pretty awesome places. Getting out of the Dallas heat and going up there in the summer is a great way to spend part of a summer when the world is normal.

It would have been cool to ride out Coronavirus in a isolated mountain cabin with months of supplies. I'm totally with you on that.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Why did so many Coronavirus cases come out of the Colorado mountain resorts like Aspen, Vail, Beaver Creek, and Breckenridge? As you illustrate, there were of spring break trips to the Colorado mountains in a certain socioeconomic strata.

DFW residents tend to go to the CO mountain towns in the summer time to get out of the scorching heat here. I'm thinking that won't be happening as much this year.
Marquee ski resorts like the Epic and Ikon mountains attract a lot of out-of-state visitors, and a packed ski lodge in cold, dry air is probably a good place for passing the virus.

Colorado currently has slightly fewer cases than Texas, and most summer activities in Colorado are more dispersed than skiing is. Hell, I was in the mountains today. The trailhead was packed, but there wasn't a soul in sight for 95% of the time we were on the trail.

It's tough to predict what this virus will look like in three months, but I don't think the Colorado mountains will be a particularly bad spot for it. How often are you really within six feet of other humans who aren't in your group if you're in the mountains (and not sitting in a ski lodge)? I'd be more concerned about the airport than the mountains.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
John - This is a great post. Thank you for sharing. Appreciate it. It clearly shows us where each one of us may be lacking.
With RA and taking strong immune suppressants, my wife is highly vulnerable. We are retired so we can take strong steps. We are prepared to do this for months if necessary due to not flattening the curve with the current level of adoption of measures by too many in DFW and not seeing any evidence we have slowed the rate of growth in number of people we know are infected.

We can do things ourselves to counter the risk of this virus, I worry more about the economy which we can not impact alone. I see a longer business closer than many can survive so I worry about the state of the world we survive to live in.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:29 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Moderator note: A number of recent posts were removed in order to get this thread back on-topic. As I stated on March 12, March 15, March 17, March 22 and again today, all posts in this thread should be locally-focused on the impacts of the coronavirus in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Posts not adhering to those guidelines will be removed.

There's also been an uptick in personal attacks and name calling between posters. If you disagree with another poster and can't remain civil, take a break and return when you can.

Thanks and please resume the discussion.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:43 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
US Congressman Colin Allred is going to have a virtual townhall on Wednesday, 4/1 at 6:30 p.m. You will need to RSVP if you would like to attend.
March 30, 2020

Dear Partner,
The health and safety of North Texans is my top priority as your Congressman. I am hosting a Coronavirus Telephone Town Hall on Wednesday, April 1. I will give an update on the work I’ve been doing in Congress to secure federal assistance for North Texas and take your questions. I will be joined by local health experts and a representative from the Small Business Administration to help answer questions about coronavirus response and relief efforts. You can join from the comfort of your own home.
Coronavirus Telephone Town Hall with Rep. Colin Allred

Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 6:30 pm CST

Visit: allred.house.gov/live to receive call-in info for the town hall. I look forward to speaking with you and our fellow North Texans on Wednesday.

For coronavirus information and resources on federal assistance as it relates to the pandemic, please visit allred.house.gov/coronavirus.

Sincerely,

Colin Allred
Member of Congress

Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
Dallas County reports one death, 61 new COVID-19 coronavirus cases on Monday, bringing the total positive cases to 549 and total deaths to 11.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas...ases-on-monday

Old 03-30-2020, 09:21 PM

577 posts, read 456,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We went out for a drive yesterday. The density of people along the Katy Trail crossings made my skin crawl. I know that it was an absolutely gorgeous day but it was like St Patrick’s Day parade volume of people out in uptown / west village / katy trail.

I don’t know why people don’t comprehend that the longer we don’t all do this, the longer we have to do it.
It's mind boggling. So many people are of the opinion the only way to enjoy the outdoors in Uptown is to be on the Katy Trail.

There are very few cars on the road these days, so this is great time to just explore your neighborhood instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas