Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,040 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am considering buying home in the northern suburbs of Dallas; Frisco, Flower Mound, Coppell, etc. I have come across a few Master Planned Communities that seem to have a lot to offer. The thing is they all seem to have a huge span in home prices. I have seen a couple go from 200k up to over 700k.

Some of these are developments unto themselves and are even semi-isolated on their own with no other tract type home building adjacent or even within a few blocks.

In that situation is it still the smart thing to try and buy at the lower end as the theory is the more expensive homes create a "natural" increase in your home value?

Am curious if its not the case that those type of areas won't necessarily attract the lower end average buyer and thus makes it harder to sell the home in the future based on what you think its worth because of the more expensive homes around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Your never want to buy the biggest house in the neighborhood and you really don't want to buy the most expensive one.

The master planned communities here are designed where you have diversity. Usually, the builders within a community have a section with lots and only homes from a price range of 200-350 will be there, then another section for mid range for 350-500 and then the upscale area where homes are over 500K. You will not find a home for 200K and one for 700K on the same street. I take that back, I'm sure you can, but it would be very very rare.

Sometimes, some of those builders offer a move-up program where you buy a house in the 200K range and then you can upgrade a few years later to a home in their higher range, it's their way to keep you as a client and for you to stay in the same area without changing schools etc.

So there is a bit of sanity behind the dementia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas