Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM

25 posts, read 92,224 times

Advertisements

i posted a other thread about my family moving to dallas.
i really liked Grands Floor plans but i hear nothing but negative things.
so instead of the negatives in this thread can someone let me know what home builders are similar to grand but better rated by the people.
the thing i love about grand is you have large amounts of "open to below" spots in the house and i am really looking for that in a house.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,260,214 times
Highland Homes is wonderful
Drees is the next best... more expensive too.
Sotherby aka Shaddock
Khovnanian

What part of town are you looking?

Naima

Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
I've been in a lot of houses that are "open to below" and the noise level is quite high. Maybe it's just me, but it seems the upstairs noise carries downstairs and the downstairs noise carries upstairs. Also, the AC bill is higher.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
^
correct. Those soaring ceilings may be pretty but the noise is a factor. esp if the "rec room" area is open to the living area downstairs. Ours isn't it's open to the foyer but the noise of the kids upstairs was something we are getting used to. (we had basements in the NE) We are VERY glad that 2 of the houses we were interested in we didn't buy...they both were very OPEN upstairs. with balconies etc...

ALSO...your heat and esp your summer ELECTRIC bill could skyrocket with ALOT of void space up there trying to cool your space etc...

just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Highland Homes is wonderful
Drees is the next best... more expensive too.
Sotherby aka Shaddock
Khovnanian

What part of town are you looking?

Naima
i have no clue what area i want to move to yet.
some where new though where things are just starting come up.
new stores, homes, parks and things like that.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^
correct. Those soaring ceilings may be pretty but the noise is a factor. esp if the "rec room" area is open to the living area downstairs. Ours isn't it's open to the foyer but the noise of the kids upstairs was something we are getting used to. (we had basements in the NE) We are VERY glad that 2 of the houses we were interested in we didn't buy...they both were very OPEN upstairs. with balconies etc...

ALSO...your heat and esp your summer ELECTRIC bill could skyrocket with ALOT of void space up there trying to cool your space etc...

just something to keep in mind.
WOW i never knew that about the AC bill thanks.
ill keep that on mind but living in a 3200 sq ft house in phoenix ive gottin used to high bills in the summer.
but like i said ill keep that in mind.
Another thing. they have basements in dallas or when you say NE you mean another state.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
I live in a Highland Home with lot and vaulted ceilings layout and will offer this information. I do think I pay a little more in A/C cost due to the vaulted ceilings. Also during the winter my house has cold spots since heat rises. Our bedroom is on the first floor while the secondary bedrooms are on the second floor. Our bedroom is by far the coldest room in the house and its pretty hard to keep it really warm without it being very hot on the second floor (heat rises). Even with two thermostats it's a juggling act to keep everything at a comfortable level. I have gotten use to it over 11 years and would still buy my floorplan again because it gives you such a open feel (20 ft ceilings).

Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,571 times
Okay...Ill throw this into the mix...why not go custom? There are quite a few master custom builders in the area, so that is an option as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Okay...Ill throw this into the mix...why not go custom? There are quite a few master custom builders in the area, so that is an option as well.
Would you happen to know the names.
as a young married couple with good jobs lined up our options are unlimited
(as long as your talking under 500K)

Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,618 times
I am having a REALLY bad experience with Grand Homes and the Warranty company. It's still going on and is a big headache and lot of stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: