Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 11:09 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times

Advertisements

Both cities will be negatively affected. If you are completely sure you're staying out of oil and gas I would think that overall Dallas has the better financial sector but then it is a bit more expensive. If you like Dallas and can afford it I would say go for it. If you are only doing it for work and you prefer Houston I am not sure if it will make enough of a difference to be worth it. What is it you are wanting to do exactly? If it is just to make the most money you can, I think of course Dallas is the answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:12 AM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
I stand corrected! When I wrote my post, I was merely just considering some of the larger ethnic populations in the regions, but clearly there is a lot I missed.

Very interesting information, thanks for sharing! I definitely agree that Houston will very likely retain the ethnic diversity title for quite sometime.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:04 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
I think you're in a win-win situation. You have a wife with job possibilities and both Houston and Dallas are very livable places. You're not looking for your next meal.

I prefer Houston as the homes in the area are much better priced, and the weather is better. Schools are also great in certain suburbs where private school educations are not required.

Because there is a Coronavirus 19 problem today doesn't mean life is going to change 2-4-6 years from now. Texas business and Houston's business communtiy stands up to negative times well, and it'll return.

My cousin is a professional engineer in Houston, and he has many years' experience in asbestos abatement. He's also a mold inspector, and specializes in Legionarre's disease testing in hospital buildings. He just hired 4 additional microbiologists and 6 salesman and is going into the environmental testing of all businesses for germs. He's really found a niche.

Out of the ashes comes a new Phoenix, and Houston's not going anywhere.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:02 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default Bad time to ask

First we have to stop losing jobs. There have been over 300,000 unemployment applications filed in the North Texas area over the last 6 weeks. Hopefully the layoffs stop soon. Then we have a HUGE hole to dig out of.
Oil is in the toilet. It accounts for 17% of the Texas economy. Dallas was a hub for airlines and a large ton of restaurants, bars, retail etc have all been shuttered. Those services account for 20% of the DFW economy.
This is going to take a long time to recover from.
I mean most of the jobs in the area are affected and 8 million mouths is a lot of mouths to feed. If you know what I mean. The last few years people have been pouring in from all over the place because of the economy . Well the e onomy just shut down. Let's see what happens.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:46 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm busy so I'll have to circle back and correct all your errors and intentional overstatements - and there many.

However, for now this is what your thesis statement from upthread.

"Because Houston's medical scene is a lot more than just primary care and hospital beds. You also have a plethora of academic, medical research, biomedical, and support institutions that Dallas doesn't have"........

Your claim that the Dallas medical scene is, "just primary care and hospital beds".........is summarily false.
What errors were these again?

It is what it is. Houston has a more dynamic medical scene than Dallas does. That's pretty obvious and uncontroversial. You trying to act like there's some competition there is like me trying to insist that Houston's aviation sector is as dynamic as that in DFW. It's not and likely never will be. Doesn't make either city better or worse than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Forget trying to convince Dallas Homer's that any other city can have anything better. They wont accept that Rice university is the premier Texas University. Why? Because it's not in Dallas! They will never accept that the TMC is the worlds largest Medical center. Why? Because it's not in Dallas. They will never accept that Austin is the most admired Texas city. Why? .......... it just goes on and on. When TMC3 is complete they will downplay that too. Thell never admit that MD Anderson is better than any thing Dallas can offer. They'll never admit that Houston is the largest city in Texas. Instead of admitting all this they try to deflect. They also rely heavily on Fort Worth to prop up the numbers. It's their pride.
I know. The culture there is of relentless boosterism regardless of the facts on the ground and God forbid you ever have an opinion that Houston is better at anything than North Texas. The Dallas Morning News is the most positive, cheerleadery civic publication in the country in my opinion. Many people who live there buy into the "Dallas over everything" mindset, but facts don't change because they are inconvenient no matter what boosters would have folks believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Having lived in Houston for 5 years, Im happy Im here and I love the city. But there are some things I miss about living in Dallas. One of the is the ECONOMY.

It sucks having the city rise and fall on the whims of Russia and Saudi Arabia. This city still lives and dies by the price of oil and it is AWFUL. Even though Im not in oil I have to wonder about property values on my house, what neighborhoods will get hit the hardest with vacancies, what the shift to green energy will bring, what other businesses will close because of the downturn, etc.

What happens when oil crashes in Dallas? Very little. No one blinks. There are some jobs up there tied to oil and gas but nothing like Houston. Dallas has a very diverse economy, we do not. Inevitably someone will say "were so much more diverse than we were in the 80s when oil crashed.". That doesnt matter. 1/3 of our GDP depends on oil and gas. More diverse doesnt mean diverse.

Because of this I think the time will come soon when Houston has to pass the torch to DFW as the most economically important metro area in the state. Houston will always be more international and ethnically diverse I believe, but DFW's economic diversity was really the way to set up for long term success.
Yeah I miss the (pre-Covid) economy there too. You and I are in the same industry and job-wise its better for both of us there as you already know. It is more diverse and dynamic economically and will be until Houston either diversifies further or local energy companies are able to aggressively expand into (and eventually dominate) non-O&G portions of the industry. What's been impressive is how they have been able to convince a variety of companies from all kinds of different industries to decamp from where they were and set up shop there.

But I disagree with you as far as DFW eventually being the state's most important metro from an economic perspective. DFW will never have a deepwater port and it isn't the center of any worldwide industry, much less the industry that powers all others. Its economy is impressive and dynamic, and they have done a better job growing it recently, but its very reflective of the American economy as a whole - and replicable elsewhere. With the right conditions and leadership, many cities/metros could become the next DFW in time. Places that are the center of an important worldwide industry (such as Seattle for aircraft manufacturing, New York for international finance, Houston for energy, San Francisco for tech, etc.) are fundamentally more important than other places due to the difficulty in replacing what they do anywhere else.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:02 AM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
In no way am I disagreeing that Houston has a unique advantage economically in certain industries and I am not arguing one city is better than the other. However, I do want to defend DFW and say don't disregard them just yet. With its already strong aviation industry and central location in the U.S., there are efforts to make DFW the innovative transportation hub for the country. AllianceTexas is a development started by Hillwood (Perot's company). They are working with Uber, logistics companies, and aviation companies to test new innovative ways to transport goods across the country and world. This will touch all major cities on our coasts and will one day make DFW the powerhouse of logistics and transportation if they continue making the right decisions. This will bring in large groups of professional jobs into the metroplex and give DFW that boost it needs to be recognized. This innovative transportation strategic plan is still in the beginning stages of growth, so we shall see if they are successful.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:55 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Clutch View Post
what errors were these again?

It is what it is. Houston has a more dynamic medical scene than dallas does. That's pretty obvious and uncontroversial. You trying to act like there's some competition there is like me trying to insist that houston's aviation sector is as dynamic as that in dfw. It's not and likely never will be. Doesn't make either city better or worse than the other.

I know. The culture there is of relentless boosterism regardless of the facts on the ground and god forbid you ever have an opinion that houston is better at anything than north texas. The dallas morning news is the most positive, cheerleadery civic publication in the country in my opinion. Many people who live there buy into the "dallas over everything" mindset, but facts don't change because they are inconvenient no matter what boosters would have folks believe.

Yeah i miss the (pre-covid) economy there too. You and i are in the same industry and job-wise its better for both of us there as you already know. It is more diverse and dynamic economically and will be until houston either diversifies further or local energy companies are able to aggressively expand into (and eventually dominate) non-o&g portions of the industry. What's been impressive is how they have been able to convince a variety of companies from all kinds of different industries to decamp from where they were and set up shop there.

But i disagree with you as far as dfw eventually being the state's most important metro from an economic perspective. Dfw will never have a deepwater port and it isn't the center of any worldwide industry, much less the industry that powers all others. Its economy is impressive and dynamic, and they have done a better job growing it recently, but its very reflective of the american economy as a whole - and replicable elsewhere. With the right conditions and leadership, many cities/metros could become the next dfw in time. Places that are the center of an important worldwide industry (such as seattle for aircraft manufacturing, new york for international finance, houston for energy, san francisco for tech, etc.) are fundamentally more important than other places due to the difficulty in replacing what they do anywhere else.

lol

Old 05-02-2020, 07:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Having lived in Houston for 5 years, Im happy Im here and I love the city. But there are some things I miss about living in Dallas. One of the is the ECONOMY.

It sucks having the city rise and fall on the whims of Russia and Saudi Arabia. This city still lives and dies by the price of oil and it is AWFUL. Even though Im not in oil I have to wonder about property values on my house, what neighborhoods will get hit the hardest with vacancies, what the shift to green energy will bring, what other businesses will close because of the downturn, etc.

What happens when oil crashes in Dallas? Very little. No one blinks. There are some jobs up there tied to oil and gas but nothing like Houston. Dallas has a very diverse economy, we do not. Inevitably someone will say "were so much more diverse than we were in the 80s when oil crashed.". That doesnt matter. 1/3 of our GDP depends on oil and gas. More diverse doesnt mean diverse.

Because of this I think the time will come soon when Houston has to pass the torch to DFW as the most economically important metro area in the state. Houston will always be more international and ethnically diverse I believe, but DFW's economic diversity was really the way to set up for long term success.
This is exactly why I chose to relocate to Dallas over Houston when I was deciding between Texas cities in the early 2010s.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:05 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default Austin

Thell both be passing the torch to Austin some day.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:48 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Thell both be passing the torch to Austin some day.
Yeah... no.

Austin is just as dependent on one industry as Houston, but Austin doesn’t have the size, global prominence, diversity etc. as Houston and DFW do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas