Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,799 times

Advertisements

I just graduated and I'll be working for a real estate firm here in Dallas starting next fall. In a moment of temporary insanity, I left my home of fort worth for college. I gained great perspective on the things I took for granted here in Texas and I'm excited to be back. However, I have some questions about housing since I don't know a terribly large amount about my long-time eastern neighbor Dallas. Here are my major criteria in either choosing a house or apartment, I would appreciate any feedback based on it:

1. NOISE - I need quiet when I sleep, I can't live in something cheaply constructed with thin walls or something overlooking a busy street.
2. COMMUTE TIME - I don't think I could bear driving over 15 - 20 minutes to my office near 635 and the tollroad
3. SOCIAL LIFE - I'd like to me like minded young professionals, and have reasonable access to nightlife
4. PARKING - should not be a hassle for myself, or even guest ideally
5. PRICE - less than $200,000 or $1250 a month.

I've narrowed it down to about four places after a few brief visits, but I would appreciate any other ideas. Here are the places ranked from best to worst, but don't let that mislead you because there's only a marginal difference and I'm still undecided.

1. Courts of Bent Tree - very close to work, overlooks bent tree golf course, don't know much about the residents, nice place thought. worry it might be too close to the tollroad.

2. Gables Knoxbridge - nice upscale apartment complex in highland park. 20 minutes commute time is pushing it and it's a bit pricey, location is great as are the recreational opportunities

3. House in Coppell or irving. Something that would allow me to shoot down beltine, 35 or even the george bush to the tollroad. I could get a nice quiet place for less than 200k but I worry I might feel isolated, even though I love the new Fry's electronics they built there. Alternatively I've heard the fairways at riverchase golf course apartments are great as well in this area.

4. Villas at Katy Trail - good location downtown with superbly easy access to the toll road. i've heard great things about the social life, but I'm wondering about the noise levels

All these places have good reviews online at apartmentratings.com but I'd be interested in finding out if anyone has first hand experience with them, or knows of better alternatives. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,188 times
My sister lives at an apartment complex at Frankford and the Tollway and pays $900 for a 1 bedroom. As for noise from the tollway, you can't hear anything because she is in the middle of the complex. If you go the apartment route, I suggest doing the same thing and looking for something towards the center of the complex.

As for your drive time, if you really want to keep it between 15 and 20 minutes you should find something near your office. With an office at that location, with traffic it could take you 15-20 just to get thru a stoplight sometimes. Of course there are times when traffic looks a lot worse than it really is and you can fly through without any major delays. Just curious - is it CB that you're starting at?

Congratulations on the job. Even though the RE market is crazy, stick with it if you really enjoy it and don't get discouraged when things look bleak. There's many of us riding this wave right now!!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,898 times
did you look at Post Addison Circle? It's where I currently live and fits all your criteria....

Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,882 times
From what you listed, I would recommend the Villas at Katy Trail. Your commute will flow in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. The noise shouldn't be a problem and you will be closer to a lot more nightlife and other activities in Uptown, Downtown, and Lakewood. The other areas you listed are much more suburban.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 PM

36 posts, read 164,344 times
I lived at the Villas at Katy Trail for one year, and unfortunately I didn't have a good experience there.

The cons:

1) Beware of the parking garage. The spaces are super tight, and people fly around the corners like no other. There were several accidents in that parking garage. Also, be prepared for a long walk to your apartment unless you have one close to the parking garage (which still probably wouldn't be good due to noise). This is not fun when you have to carry groceries a long distance which, by the way, there isn't a grocery store super close. Kroger in Oak Lawn; Albertson's on McKinney; or Whole Foods on Lemmon.

2) I found most of the tenants to be wealthy college kids who drive very expensive vehicles. I am a working professional in my mid-20s. My college-aged neighbors partied a lot (as expected for college). But, since I had to get up and work the next morning, the noise wasn't appreciated. I had to file several complaints, and the noise never stopped.

3) The hallways are junky. However, they were thinking about painting them when I moved out. Every weekend elevators were filled with beer bottles, and floors were sticky.

4) There was a major issue with the fire alarms when I lived there. They went off probably 10 times in one year. I suspect it was mostly due to drunk people thinking it was funny to trip the alarm at 3:30 in the morning.

5) There was also an issue with mail delivery. I didn't receive mail like I should have, and some mail would arrive one month late. (And I did do my change of address through the USPS.) That is probably more of the postal worker's problem than the apartment complex's.

6) Several of the girls who worked in the office were snobbish and unresponsive to questions/needs. I thought they could care less about their renters.

The pros:

1) Good location. The Villas are close to the tollway and, of course, right next to Katy Trail. It'd work great to go northbound opposite traffic in the morning.

2) Maintenance staff is prompt and competent.

3) Reasonably priced for Uptown. I paid $1,037 for 850 sq. ft. My apartment was nice, except for the huge, loud air conditioner vent right next to my bed.

4) Nightlife and restaurants within walking distance.

5) Utilities were CHEAP because of the natural gas. The Villas pays for tenants' gas bills, so there is no water heater. So I only paid for electricity and water, which were both super cheap.

I would probably suggest to explore other options. What about a condo or townhome?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM

29 posts, read 111,604 times
Default Trying to help!

Okay so I found these great apartments that I wanted to move to but ended up moving to a house in Plano. If I could only remember the name of the apartments! I work off of the Tollway and Frankford and these apartments were on the East side of the Tollway almost by Belt line. They are behind a set of apartments that are right by the Tollway so you don't have that noise...they over look a golf course...and for a one bedroom with a study was about 1200 a month..anyway just trying to help, if you are by the area you might want to drive on back by the golf course They could have been the Court of bent tree...love them!!!

Pros-Your by your job about 10 minutes away
By the Addison night life
By a golf course
They have own parking garages..so no worrying about parking!

P.S I probably wouldn't spend the money moving into Highland Park..it's all about the name! Coppell/Irving isn't that exciting plus the Tollways are now $1 per Toll so you would spend about 4-6 bucks a day just on that...plus traffic...ECK! Downtown is a great option but you have to love noise and home less people! Not for me

Old 04-25-2008, 04:11 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
If I were in your shoes I would be moving to Addison. You would be minutes from the office and a nice local nightlife scene. I can't name any specific places but thats the part of town I would put roots down.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
The airplanes landing and taking off at Love Field will probably cause some disruption during sleep. Just don't leave your windows open. I got rudely awakened at 5 am because it sounded like a space shuttle was taking off!!! Other than that you should be okay, the tollway has those huge walls built along the sides to deter noise entering the neighborhoods alongside.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 12,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsconfused View Post
Okay so I found these great apartments that I wanted to move to but ended up moving to a house in Plano. If I could only remember the name of the apartments! I work off of the Tollway and Frankford and these apartments were on the East side of the Tollway almost by Belt line. They are behind a set of apartments that are right by the Tollway so you don't have that noise...they over look a golf course...and for a one bedroom with a study was about 1200 a month..anyway just trying to help, if you are by the area you might want to drive on back by the golf course They could have been the Court of bent tree...love them!!!

Pros-Your by your job about 10 minutes away
By the Addison night life
By a golf course
They have own parking garages..so no worrying about parking!

P.S I probably wouldn't spend the money moving into Highland Park..it's all about the name! Coppell/Irving isn't that exciting plus the Tollways are now $1 per Toll so you would spend about 4-6 bucks a day just on that...plus traffic...ECK! Downtown is a great option but you have to love noise and home less people! Not for me

sup... yoou sereious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas