Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 10:12 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
The idea that Texans believe in personal freedom and responsibility (to a greater extent than other states) is just as untrue as the stereotypes many people from the northeast have about Texas.
What?...........gun ownership, taxes just for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 7,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
The irony is I find Dallas to be a much more tolerant city in terms of political diversity, than Portland.
I was just browsing this forum because I live i Portland and am sick of the riots and our oppressive governor! Portland used to be somewhat more balanced politically 20 years ago, but there is zero tolerance for views other than far-left these days (and this is coming from someone who usually votes democrat). i own a business in the riot zone, and the city is doing nothing to protect us. I'm seriously considering moving to Texas when my kids head off to college.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:36 PM

69 posts, read 184,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Stop procrastinating. Narrow down your decision and move. Cut the excessive noise out of your life. Right around the time I was moving from NJ, there were some school shootings and people used that to steer me against my goal but it only motivated me. There was nothing that could have made me back off from my decision. It really depends on your personality, some people can't let go of their same old routine past and its just hard for them to progress. Me personally was really optimistic about the move and made a list of good and bad. The things you're mentioning are neither here nor there. Texas is known as one of the most backward states but I found that to be not so accurate at least where I'm living.

To make it easy, I think it was just my wife, I and my mom and of course my "employer" who were for the move but everyone else disagreed. Brothers, sisters, dad, friends and whoever else because they are scared of the unknown and just wouldn't take the risk themselves.

If you're motives are to raise a family, good schools for kids and way more for a house (at least this last part was true when we moved in) this might be your place. But you have to understand and be able to blend in with the rest of us. People are conservative here and like their space which I'm all in for.

We also visited Morrisville NC as I had some family there but we ended up moving here at the end because of schools.

At the end, its your decision so do whatever tf u wanna do
Not procrastinating. We already leased a house and we leave New York next week. Yes- I am at least trying my best to block out the noise.
It gets louder as next week approaches.

The good news is that our new employment has been secured. Wish us luck on the drive down!!

Old 07-21-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I am from New York (suburbs) and got all kinds of grief from friends and family when I moved to Texas. They could not believe I would move to one of "those states" when I already lived in the greatest place on earth. They thought that the people would be dumb, the schools were bad, everyone is a bible thumper, you'll never fit in if you are an intelligent person.

It was a huge adjustment, some surprises, but the businesses here were hopping and hiring and I nearly doubled my salary moving to Texas. You can find good people here, people who are like you, open-minded people. The Northeast has no monopoly on good schools and brainpower. Move to Texas, but don't expect everything that is up north. If you come here with an open mind, you'll do fine.
Thank you for the good vibes roskybosky!

Old 07-22-2020, 09:06 PM

188 posts, read 376,643 times
I would share when I first moved to Houston in 2011 after living in my home state of NJ (Essex County), I had to give an over the phone deposition on a case. The lawyer told me flat out while I was giving my testimony to "Talk proper, not like they do down there". I was appalled to say the least. Houston is a transplant city.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:41 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmh1030 View Post
I was just browsing this forum because I live i Portland and am sick of the riots and our oppressive governor! Portland used to be somewhat more balanced politically 20 years ago, but there is zero tolerance for views other than far-left these days (and this is coming from someone who usually votes democrat). i own a business in the riot zone, and the city is doing nothing to protect us. I'm seriously considering moving to Texas when my kids head off to college.
What's happening to Portland is sickening. It's a fantastic city in so many ways. And literally falling apart.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:26 PM

66 posts, read 45,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsofspring View Post
Not procrastinating. We already leased a house and we leave New York next week. Yes- I am at least trying my best to block out the noise.
It gets louder as next week approaches.

The good news is that our new employment has been secured. Wish us luck on the drive down!!
Congratulations on your big move!!!

I am also looking to leave Long Island. (Wrong Island). Visited Dallas area many times and also love
Allen & Mckinney. My family used to think I was crazy for wanting to move to the Dallas area but now
they think it's a great idea. Even a friend of mine moved there recently. Some of the nicest people live in
Texas. My wife and I were eating lunch at Jasons Deli next to the Stonebriar mall in Frisco with our 5 year old boy
when a nice couple introduced themselves and started talking to us. 30 minutes later the wife offers to give us her cell phone and says "We just want you to know, you have a friend in Texas". we were shocked! here on Long Island my whole life and never experienced anything close as most people have attitudes. So we called her when we got home and it turns out we do have a new friend in Texas. Amazing!!!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
Congratulations on your big move!!!

I am also looking to leave Long Island. (Wrong Island). Visited Dallas area many times and also love
Allen & Mckinney. My family used to think I was crazy for wanting to move to the Dallas area but now
they think it's a great idea. Even a friend of mine moved there recently. Some of the nicest people live in
Texas. My wife and I were eating lunch at Jasons Deli next to the Stonebriar mall in Frisco with our 5 year old boy
when a nice couple introduced themselves and started talking to us. 30 minutes later the wife offers to give us her cell phone and says "We just want you to know, you have a friend in Texas". we were shocked! here on Long Island my whole life and never experienced anything close as most people have attitudes. So we called her when we got home and it turns out we do have a new friend in Texas. Amazing!!!
That is just beautiful. It gives me faith in humanity. I went college on LI, met and married my husband there. We lived the first three years together there and our daughter was born there before we left. I saw the writing on the wall looking at basement apartments that cost an arm and a leg for the privilege of living in Nassau county. Moved to Co-op city in the Bronx which was the smartest move financially for a couple starting out.
Seems like a lifetime ago!

Old 08-02-2020, 03:31 PM

13 posts, read 12,330 times
Quote:
I know grown adults are not supposed to care what people think or say about our personal decisions.
But it sure does get annoying when people in our lives react negatively to an idea we have or choices we make.

When we visited DFW two years ago, in casual conversation we let people know we were shopping for a place to move to when my husband retired.
We traveled frequently to NC (thought we would end up there), visited TN , and then DFW/Austin.
I guess I was taken aback by the negative reaction to my visiting Texas, and god forbid, considered moving. People we know and love giving us the " HOW COULD YOU!!?" Reaction. The " Why would you " reaction.

My realization is that certain types of people who claim to be open minded are really and truly quite insular.(I am from the "enlightened" northeast.

I feel like SANDY CHEEKS!! I don't even live in Texas yet and already feel like I need to defend Texas and Texans.

For transplants- Did your friends and family support you when you decided to move to Texas? How did you handle negative reactions?

I don't want to have to educate people - everyone has the internet in the palm of their hands nowadays.

I feel like the best thing to to say as little as possible. Just leave... and keep them wondering.
Congratulations! And do not look back!
I recieved a job offer and we have been visiting the dallas area several times over the past year and have fell in love with everything except the traffic and the highways. Which I am sure everyone thats from here can agree with. My wifes familly is still in disbeleif that we would even try to leave our small suburban town in the north east... My family said run and go have an adventure and make the most of it. We have 3 elementry age children so that will always add to the emotion. We feel very blessed to have such an opportunity and somewhere that stays on the warmer side is a huge bonus. I don't care too much for people that aren't open minded. Opionons are like you know what...Everyone has one!

Old 08-02-2020, 09:59 PM

66 posts, read 45,948 times
Quote:
That is just beautiful. It gives me faith in humanity. I went college on LI, met and married my husband there. We lived the first three years together there and our daughter was born there before we left. I saw the writing on the wall looking at basement apartments that cost an arm and a leg for the privilege of living in Nassau county. Moved to Co-op city in the Bronx which was the smartest move financially for a couple starting out.
Seems like a lifetime ago!
We live in Wantagh and pay 12k in property taxes on a 1,189 sq ft house built in 1952.
spent thousands on plumbing over the years. house needs new kitchen but i'm not taking
an equity loan to spend 30k for a kitchen that someone else probably won't like when I try to
sell the house. no matter what I do I still have an old house with old wiring , old plumbing and old
drywall in a high taxed state with crazy utility prices. good you escaped! Best of luck to you and your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas