Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 2,740 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently own a home in SE Coppell and am looking at potentially moving to West Frisco / West Prosper in a few years. The homes I would be looking at would be the same value or slightly lower.

I am currently single, and the motivation for the transition would be a potential marriage and then a desire to settle down / raise children in Frisco / Prosper to be near my future wife's family.

What are some of the general comparisons between these two areas that would be wise to consider in my situation? E.g. schools, taxes, local politics, entertainment venues, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 09:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
Do you work remotely? Will you be commuting?

I don't know Coppell all that well, but I live in West Frisco. Parts of Frisco are in Collin County and the other part is in Denton County, so taxes will vary slightly depending on which county you end up in. Both counties have tax rates on their CAD sites that you can look up. Frisco and Prosper schools are good but I think most will agree that schools in Coppell are slightly better. But you certainly can't go wrong with schools in any of those districts. Frisco has a small school model, so there are a lots of smaller schools sprinkled throughout the district. Some people like that and others don't. We enjoyed going to the various minor league games in Frisco (pre-COVID of course). There are tons of parks and bike paths and my husband enjoys cycling.

I grew up in Prosper and I'm somewhat familiar with the area still. While Prosper has plenty of stores now, you will still have to drive somewhere else to do some things. There is no mall (which may or may not be an issue for you) and no hospital with a maternity ward. So you'll still have to go to Frisco for those things. There are doctors/dentists/etc. in Prosper, but any specialty doctors will probably be a drive. Prosper is also going through extraordinary growth that Frisco, mostly, has already worked through. Some roads in Prosper are still one lane each way and construction will be ongoing for years as roads are widened and new neighborhoods are added. Constant school rezoning could be an issue in Prosper if you buy in a new development (and the same is true for parts of Frisco).

Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
Just curious, have you met the future wife yet?

Old 09-15-2020, 10:26 AM

I will work remotely and not need to commute. My wife will work part time from home. We're currently dating.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:00 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Do you work remotely? Will you be commuting?

I don't know Coppell all that well, but I live in West Frisco. Parts of Frisco are in Collin County and the other part is in Denton County, so taxes will vary slightly depending on which county you end up in. Both counties have tax rates on their CAD sites that you can look up. Frisco and Prosper schools are good but I think most will agree that schools in Coppell are slightly better. But you certainly can't go wrong with schools in any of those districts. Frisco has a small school model, so there are a lots of smaller schools sprinkled throughout the district. Some people like that and others don't. We enjoyed going to the various minor league games in Frisco (pre-COVID of course). There are tons of parks and bike paths and my husband enjoys cycling.

I grew up in Prosper and I'm somewhat familiar with the area still. While Prosper has plenty of stores now, you will still have to drive somewhere else to do some things. There is no mall (which may or may not be an issue for you) and no hospital with a maternity ward. So you'll still have to go to Frisco for those things. There are doctors/dentists/etc. in Prosper, but any specialty doctors will probably be a drive. Prosper is also going through extraordinary growth that Frisco, mostly, has already worked through. Some roads in Prosper are still one lane each way and construction will be ongoing for years as roads are widened and new neighborhoods are added. Constant school rezoning could be an issue in Prosper if you buy in a new development (and the same is true for parts of Frisco).
I could have sworn there was supposed to be a new mall being built at the Frisco/Prosper border, with both towns fighting to the death to land it on their side of the fence...or did the covid epidemic kill that off?

Old 09-15-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I could have sworn there was supposed to be a new mall being built at the Frisco/Prosper border, with both towns fighting to the death to land it on their side of the fence...or did the covid epidemic kill that off?
There was supposed to be something right off of 380 but I haven't heard a peep about it in a couple of years.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:32 PM

Are there any new homes being built in the area that are not 3-5k square feet? I'm looking around all of Frisco and not seeing much. Are there no starter homes / homes for small / new families?

Old 09-18-2020, 04:26 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZicle View Post
Are there any new homes being built in the area that are not 3-5k square feet? I'm looking around all of Frisco and not seeing much. Are there no starter homes / homes for small / new families?
Starter homes is a foreign language in Frisco. For that, you would have to look in Little Elm or the Colony.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZicle View Post
In Frisco, look at the Canals at Grand Park. There are some larger homes there but they also have "villa homes" that are smaller. Artesia in Prosper has a lot of smaller homes but I'm not sure if there is a lot of new construction going on still. Otherwise, you're sort of out of luck. Prosper and Frisco aren't known for starter homes, especially when it comes to new construction.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the tip! I can't really find 'Canals at Grand Park' on the main sites, but there are several neighborhoods which appear to be in that area. Are all of these good spots to look for single family residential (not the new townhomes being built) around $325-$400 that's going to be closer to 1,750-2,000 square feet, and slightly older? Specifically, west of the tollway, east of 423, north of Stonebrook, and south of Eldorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas