Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:05 PM

39 posts, read 35,607 times

Advertisements

Hello - as I mentioned in my previous post, I am in the process of building a home. IF it ever gets done, I would like to put in a pool. The pool company's are going crazy right now with business. Any reputable pool company has around a 3 month back log. Some pool company's won't even talk to you for 30 days. Has anyone built a pool since Covid? Have you noticed prices have skyrocketed when building a pool? Asking because while I love the idea of building a pool - I am wondering if pool company's are charging a premium given demand...and if they are...what is that premium. Perhaps it is better to wait a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 09:26 PM

446 posts, read 846,497 times
We signed a contract to build a pool on May 1st. As of this week, we just got through 80% of the tiling/coping and still have decking and plaster phases left. Permits took 5 weeks, gunite was delayed 4 weeks due to demand but all the other trades have been on time with no major delays. Given the winter weather and sustained current demand, I honestly think there's no way to be swimming next summer unless you sign by Oct.-Nov.

When we started the scoping/bidding process, the Covid-spurred demand was just ramping up. At that time, builders said there was some increases vs. last yr just driven by normal trade and equipment price adjustments YoY, but nothing crazy. What I'm hearing now is, on top of all that, builders are charging an even higher premium of $7-10K on base pool/spa setups. I really doubt pricing will normalize next yr. You may find some price rationalization in the middle of winter, but then you'll lose another yr of swimming basically. We had many neighbors sign contracts last yr and prev. yrs in winter and their builds took significant time due to weather delays.

My pool builder is telling prospects to sign before Dec. if they want any reasonable shot at swimming by July 4th '21.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
We signed a contract to build a pool on May 1st. As of this week, we just got through 80% of the tiling/coping and still have decking and plaster phases left. Permits took 5 weeks, gunite was delayed 4 weeks due to demand but all the other trades have been on time with no major delays. Given the winter weather and sustained current demand, I honestly think there's no way to be swimming next summer unless you sign by Oct.-Nov.

When we started the scoping/bidding process, the Covid-spurred demand was just ramping up. At that time, builders said there was some increases vs. last yr just driven by normal trade and equipment price adjustments YoY, but nothing crazy. What I'm hearing now is, on top of all that, builders are charging an even higher premium of $7-10K on base pool/spa setups. I really doubt pricing will normalize next yr. You may find some price rationalization in the middle of winter, but then you'll lose another yr of swimming basically. We had many neighbors sign contracts last yr and prev. yrs in winter and their builds took significant time due to weather delays.

My pool builder is telling prospects to sign before Dec. if they want any reasonable shot at swimming by July 4th '21.
Thanks! Would you mind telling me who your builder is? Are you happy, unhappy, etc.? Feel free to PM me if you would rather.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:23 PM

174 posts, read 397,782 times
We just signed a contract to have one built. Not expecting it to be completed till Feb/March. I will DM you the pool contractor we went with. He is a very hands on owner that is part of every phase of the construction and his prices are reasonable. We looked at at least 6-8 bids and liked him the best.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawvtanzi09 View Post
We just signed a contract to have one built. Not expecting it to be completed till Feb/March. I will DM you the pool contractor we went with. He is a very hands on owner that is part of every phase of the construction and his prices are reasonable. We looked at at least 6-8 bids and liked him the best.
Thanks! I received the PM. Sent him a message. Tks again!

Old 09-27-2020, 01:09 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
What is avg price for a backyard pool these days?

Old 09-28-2020, 03:50 PM

377 posts, read 382,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
What is avg price for a backyard pool these days?
Pre-COVID days a bare bones no frills gunite pool would run around 60k. Spa adds about 12-15k to the cost.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:52 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,556 times
Along the same lines what size of pool is considered big, normal or small ?

Old 09-28-2020, 03:57 PM

377 posts, read 382,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Along the same lines what size of pool is considered big, normal or small ?
Rough estimate:

Small: < 300 square feet

Medium: 300-500 square feet

Large: 500 square foot or larger

Old 09-28-2020, 06:05 PM

I just spoke with Tropics Island Pools - the owner seemed nice. Anyone have any experience with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: