Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,373 times

Advertisements

My husband and daughter and I will be moving to Kessler Park / Oak Cliff in the spring, and it looks like my mom will be moving to the city at the same time. For various reasons we are not going to live together, but the plan is for her to live nearby. She has never even been to Dallas, and I'm trying to help her research housing options. She would like to live within 15 minutes of Oak Cliff, and to rent rather than buy, ideally not spending more than $1500 a month. She's in her late 60s and not ready for a retirement community, but if she ends up in a development it would be good to find a place that's more mellow than party-oriented. Honestly a development is not really her style; she previously rented one floor of a house, with the landlord below, which worked out well. But I don't know if that's a common set-up in this area. Any ideas for complexes, neighborhoods, listing sites, etc., would be a huge help! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 08:33 AM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
This is a bit of a tough one. There will be plenty of duplex homes in Oak Cliff that are for rent, but you'll want to be very particular of them as many would not be necessarily safe. Kessler Park is beautiful (one of my favorite areas) and that whole area nearby it is turning over...but many places even in the same zipcode wouldn't be appropriate for a single, woman retiree who is not familiar with the area. Oak Cliff still has negative/unsafe connotations...which I don't necessarily buy-into...but which you should be prepared for. How comfortable will she be in a still gentrifying neighborhood? (Not that Kessler Park is still gentrifying, but most nearby duplexes that will be ~1500K will be in still transitional neighborhoods). I'm sure there will be possibilities over there, but you want to make sure and see in person to judge the street.

There are quite a few new build apartment complexes in Bishop Arts that are nice, but primarily appeal to 20s/30s and may be over $1500 a month.

What about an apartment near White Rock Lake? It'll be 15-20 mins to Kessler Park, assuming not in rush hour. Just would need to hop on I-30 to get to you. Safe neighborhood...lots of trees, ability to walk around the lake. $1500 would be hard for a large, newer apartment but should get her in the communities. Look up White Rock Lake apartments.

Other places that have a large amount of duplex style homes for rent are in the M-Streets, Lakewood Trails, etc. Maybe look in 75214, 75206. ~1500K will still be hard. Like: 2600A Madera St, Dallas, TX 75206
But you'll want to be careful about being too close to restaurants and bars on Lower Greenville, nor too close to SMU (to avoid SMU students in the other side of the duplex).

I"m sure you could go West on I-30 and get her into one of the suburban communities out that way for a good price in an older rental apartment as well. I'm not as familiar in those areas.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:57 AM

380 posts, read 368,358 times
A quick search didn't find anything for rent, but Lake Cliff Tower condos could be a good option if one became available.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:28 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I'm sure you could go West on I-30 and get her into one of the suburban communities out that way for a good price in an older rental apartment as well. I'm not as familiar in those areas.
She'd have to go all the way to Arlington to find something in a safe neighborhood, and then she'd be much further than 15 minutes away.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:33 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
She'd have to go all the way to Arlington to find something in a safe neighborhood, and then she'd be much further than 15 minutes away.
So not true. I own two rentals in 75060 — South Irving — and I watch the crime rate and have had tenants in my homes for years and never an issue. There’s the Lake Streets — Bridge Lake, White Lake, Game Lake, Harvest Lake, etc. that has small single family homes in that rent range. Very safe area and not terribly far from Kessler.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
This is a great little complex in the Park Cities, right off the tollway. It is 10 minutes to Kessler Park (without traffic). It is walkable to Lovers Lane shops and restaurants, and even walkable to Highland Park Village (just under a mile). I've known several people who have lived there. It is quiet and safe, and nicely done. Most of the units in her price range are 1 bedroom but they have a small two bedroom listed in her price range as well.

https://www.zillow.com/b/parks-edge-...nit-2077251690

Old 12-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
So not true. I own two rentals in 75060 — South Irving — and I watch the crime rate and have had tenants in my homes for years and never an issue. There’s the Lake Streets — Bridge Lake, White Lake, Game Lake, Harvest Lake, etc. that has small single family homes in that rent range. Very safe area and not terribly far from Kessler.
I work right down the road off Hunter-Ferrell. Yes, the Lake streets themselves are quiet. But the surrounding area isn't great. There's no good grocery store (the Fiesta closed and is now vacant, and the Kroger north of Irving Blvd isn't great) and it is still a decent drive from here to Kessler Park.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:09 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I work right down the road off Hunter-Ferrell. Yes, the Lake streets themselves are quiet. But the surrounding area isn't great. There's no good grocery store (the Fiesta closed and is now vacant, and the Kroger north of Irving Blvd isn't great) and it is still a decent drive from here to Kessler Park.
The surrounding area is fine! The section just west of the lakes has higher priced homes than the Lakes; nothing at all wrong with the condos on the east side of MacArthur or the lovely neighborhood just north, either.

Large shopping center on I-30 just east of there with groceries, Lowe’s, etc. I stop there all the time. You really need to stop looking down your nose at Irving. Many quality people make their homes there. The city has spent a lot of energy and funds to upgrade all parts of the city. Its an inner circle old burb and is home to about 300K people.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:40 PM

Be careful in that shopping center at Cockrell Hill and 30, especially after dark. A coworkers truck was broken into in front of the Walmart in broad daylight.

I’ll let y’all tell the OP what to do. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 2,373 times
Thank you all this great insight! One bedroom is fine, so there are some great suggestions here. I think her budget could nudge up a little bit, so there's some flexibility there. My in-laws live down in Duncanville so we might look down in that direction, too. I really appreciate all the concrete suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas