Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 09:48 PM

537 posts, read 450,269 times

Advertisements

Bent Tree County Club, Northwood Club, and Preston Trail Golf Club are all more than I care to spend. I think I might could swing getting into Bent Tree in terms of knowing multiple members there already. Northwood and Preston Trail would not let me in even if I wanted to spend that much. That leaves us with the Clubcorp options. We are in Plano so I am thinking Glen Eagles and Prestonwood - The Hills are the two best options. We want family activities and access to golf for our sons. I am such a terrible golfer it is not funny. If I were to play I would want to be somewhere laid back. Does anyone have any thoughts on these two clubs or should we look into perhaps a golf club only that is convenient to say Sam Rayburn (121) and Dallas North Tollway in The Colony or Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 07:31 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Ive been an avid golfer most of my life, just stopped playing a few years ago as bad golf is no fun to me. Ive been a private club member and played many of the great daily fee courses here too.

What is it you want to get out of being a member of a private club if you are not an avid golfer? There are social memberships is that what you need or want?

A private club membership only makes sense financially if you have kids and / or a souse who plays too or if you are looking for private entertainment options for clients or to access new prospects. Expand on why you want to do this and we can guide you perhaps

Old 01-02-2021, 08:57 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
One of my coworkers is a member at Brookhaven. He and his wife golf every weekend, and sometimes on weeknights. He seems to like it there, and his wife is involved in some of the social activities, too.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:42 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
What are the membership fees at the ones mentioned by the OP ?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
What are the membership fees at the ones mentioned by the OP ?
Preston Trail $175,000
Northwood $135,000
Bent Tree $75,000
Gleneagles $35,000
Prestonwood $2500

*Those are just initiation fees, not including monthly dues, entertainment (meals, special events, etc) or special assessments.

https://myavidgolfer.com/2020-private-club-directory/

Old 01-02-2021, 01:45 PM

I want somewhere my kids can play golf. I do not have the time to play myself and even if I did it would take lots of time for me to be a decent golfer. So, the family aspects of a club are what I am really after.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:19 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
If it's for your kids why not a cheap place like a Club Corp club? Brookhaven was mentioned. Or perhaps a public course is good enough for them..

Old 01-02-2021, 03:54 PM

Does anyone have anything to say about Castle Hills, The Tribute, Old American Golf Club, Frisco Lakes, Frisco Plantation, or Ridgeview Ranch?

Old 01-02-2021, 03:57 PM

565 posts, read 558,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Bent Tree County Club, Northwood Club, and Preston Trail Golf Club are all more than I care to spend. I think I might could swing getting into Bent Tree in terms of knowing multiple members there already. Northwood and Preston Trail would not let me in even if I wanted to spend that much. That leaves us with the Clubcorp options. We are in Plano so I am thinking Glen Eagles and Prestonwood - The Hills are the two best options. We want family activities and access to golf for our sons. I am such a terrible golfer it is not funny. If I were to play I would want to be somewhere laid back. Does anyone have any thoughts on these two clubs or should we look into perhaps a golf club only that is convenient to say Sam Rayburn (121) and Dallas North Tollway in The Colony or Frisco.
Where exactly in Plano are you ? I've actually played or been to every single golf course you listed. Just going to throw some things out there

Preston Trail: They only allow males and no minors. So basically a no for your since you want family activities

Bent Tree: Amazing course and arguably my favorite neighbhorhood in all of DFW. New clubhouse/gym is opening in the Spring. Popular club because it's considered the most laid back and less stuffy of the elite courses

Northwood: 2017/2018 renovations are unbelieveable. If the course was a little bigger you could easily host a PGA major there (i'm not joking). Because of the renovations along with it being in prime location (wedged between all 3 major dallas highways) it's a grind to get in. Member I played with told me "get on the waiting list 10 years before your actually ready to join" (10-12 year wait is considered normal).

Brookhaven: Good value but nothing special. Course is on par with most of the nicer city course (Pecan Hollow, Sherrill Park, Waters Creek). I personally would only join if I lived either in the brookhaven neighborhood or worked right down the street from it

Prestonwood: Good value because you got priorirty access to both courses (Hills and Creek). Prestonwood is the only tier 2 clubcorp course that's actually a signficant step up from city courses (Canyon Creek, Brookhaven, and Hackberry are glorified city courses to be honest).

Gleneagles: Recent renovations are good but the problem is the iniation fee and monthly price where good values when you could play other tier 1 courses like Stonebriar/Craig Ranch but clubcorp made those 2 course "premier" courses (only members of those exact clubs can play there). Gleneagles is now stuck in this weird no mans land of paying a premium but you cannot utlize the value of the premium

Alot of people that really get true value live in the neighborhood of the courses and are always there (alot of members so close that they ride a golf cart from there house to the clubhouse). You should also look at see if you want to just play at a nicer public course and not have to worry about monthly fees and down payments

Last edited by mastershake575; 01-02-2021 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 04:03 PM

565 posts, read 558,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Does anyone have anything to say about Castle Hills, The Tribute, Old American Golf Club, Frisco Lakes, Frisco Plantation, or Ridgeview Ranch?
Tribute and old american are nice but expensive (most view them like the cowboys club, good treats but not a home course).

Frisco Lake and Ridgeview are good beginner courses (good balance of price and condition). Plantation is one of the worst courses in DFW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas